Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details

Moderator: Focus Team

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Re: Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details

Postby snick25 » 16 September 2011, 23:55

hybridmike09 wrote:For those in North America who bought CXL '11, will it be available for download? I saw the Euro price only.

My question exactly.

Please excuse me, but Focus seems to be ignoring their customers in North America and other areas, who don't have access to many physical copies of the game. I asked in the very first post about what will happen with the Steam version of the game and haven't gotten an answer yet.

Not everyone lives in Europe, you know.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 17 September 2011, 00:18

snick25 wrote:
hybridmike09 wrote:For those in North America who bought CXL '11, will it be available for download? I saw the Euro price only.

My question exactly.

Please excuse me, but Focus seems to be ignoring their customers in North America and other areas, who don't have access to many physical copies of the game. I asked in the very first post about what will happen with the Steam version of the game and haven't gotten an answer yet.

Not everyone lives in Europe, you know.

And not everybody in Europe has the Euro as their currency. :lol:

I suspect the reasoning is simply that the Euro price is what Focus recommend when they distribute the game to the retailers - do bear in mind that they don't actually directly sell the game themselves.

Ultimately it is probably down to the retailer to set that price I guess.

The expansion may work a bit differently, but it's the same story as usual there I'm afraid - you'll just have to wait and see. ;)

hybridmike09

Postby hybridmike09 » 17 September 2011, 03:35

I've never seen such a lack of support. This expansion seems nothing more than get rich quick scheme by screwing over city-building fans. In the year it's been out, what has been done. One patch. Did it fix anything. hardly. If this how FHI wants to treat us, then I wont give them my money anymore. It's looking more and more that I will pass on this so called expansion.

andreharv

Postby andreharv » 17 September 2011, 04:02

I wouldn't call it a get rich quick scheme...I mean I don't mean to be the guy who doesn't completely hate Focus but seriously...had it been left up to Monte Cristo, we would even be on this forum. Keep that in mind.
Secondly, FHI seems like a small outfit out in Paris somewhere and may not have the manpower to revamp this game entirely. Besides, out of curiosity, what is involved in making a game multi-core compatible anyway? Is it something we can do? Or would it violate the copyright? Anyway, for 15.99 euros I can't say they would really be laughing all the way to the bank...that's around 22 bucks. You'd spend that on half a tank of gas.
Furthermore, even though FHI has not responded to us NorthAmericans, I am pretty sure they would try and contact an appropriate publisher because I am sure they are going to want to get paid. Lastly, I'm pretty sure if there was anything more significant than what they already told us, we would know or at least get a hint by now.
Better I be wrong and we're all surprised than for me to be right and we're all pissed when we don't get any additionally meaningful content. Buy the game...it's 20 someodd bucks. Maybe they can use that money and develop a patch...who knows.

hybridmike09

Postby hybridmike09 » 17 September 2011, 04:31

even though Monte cristo folded, they took a chance and earlier, tried to make a city building game. Then came CXL. Some decisions were baffling and a chance taken was thebwrong move. When emailed, MC was quick to respond. Yes, the forum wasn't their strongest skill. When they folded and FHI took over; they left 95 percentbof the game bract from the previous one. Then with the bug reports filling up for months; we hardly heard from FHI. After 4-5 miponths, finally a patch but it was hardly a patch to rejoice over. Then they have contests; what nerve; using a broken game. Now after silence, '12 is announced. I bet the same traffic bug is going to be present. I've posted that bug several times and emailed them once.. No response. So 1000 build ins will be in this expansion and modding? So, what else is there. In a city building game; x1000 buildings is nothing. This game has been slammed by many reviews; over the same issues. To create a expressway is such a joke. at least in sc4 the highway looked close to the real thing; on/off ramp etc. After playing CXL for a while; it hasn't kept my interest. The traffic bug bums me out. The more I p,ay it; the more detached I get. I'd spend months on sc4, then leave it and go back. When I go back to CXL; my interest quickly dissipates. I really wanted to love this game but the rehash of CXL '11, lack of updates, and what looks like a dismal expansion, I don't know if I will continue with the CXL franchise. I'm in wait in see mode. Last year, I had to preorder CXL '11....then got quickly disillusioned with it. So, I'll wait and see. Last year, it was like pulling teeth asking if it will be released in North America. hardly any updates, a rehashed game ('11) and 1yr later, a expansion.....it's not looking good! Like I said, I'm in wait and see mode for the first time.

MR.sugar

Postby MR.sugar » 17 September 2011, 08:37

It was obvious what the game will be like since the first announcement. Now it's too late to rant about it I'm afraid. I think now everyone realize that this is just another game that should milk customers. The new maps and buildings could have been a DLC, for free or priced at 5-7 euro at most. Modding tools should be just free, I haven't heard about company that bscly charge their customers for modding tools.

Romaq

Postby Romaq » 17 September 2011, 11:30

I'm on Steam because the pain of Steam is less than the pain of having to deal with physical media and the risk of haxx0rd "No CD" patches. I have the CitiesXL license and disk, but I couldn't install the thing so I bought CitiesXL (again) off Steam when it was 75% discounted, and it work! Imagine that. :p

Ok, fine... whatever. I have a working copy of the game, and while much of the eye-candy is great, there are the bugs and flaws. I'll live with it, modding may help a great deal especially with the problem of highway overpasses, interchanges, and so on.

But now that I'm on Steam, I have the game on steam... I want to see CitiesXL 2012 as a DLC. Please tell us if a CXL 2012 DLC from Steam is part of the plan.

And lordy have mercy I'm still waiting (likely as an Eternal Commuter http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=5271.0) for EA Games to roll out a proper SC5 with Civ V's attention to game engine technical detail, SC4's gameplay/ mods capacity, and CLX's 3d view, curved roads and rotate-any direction buildings. Yeah, right. Like EA will ever get around to doing THAT, nevermind pulling it off well. :(

montoto_sk

Postby montoto_sk » 17 September 2011, 16:45

14.99€ is a fair price. Personally I don't care about the new buildings since there is a modding tool (if it actually allows to create new buildings) wich worries me is the performance problems and if the modding tool will allow us to create more transport options.

nicko2u

Postby nicko2u » 18 September 2011, 15:09

Expansion pack? wtf? more like an add on pack!

banditdrbd

Postby banditdrbd » 18 September 2011, 21:58

Well i was sitting waiting for new news on 2012 and as i see Focus is still not listening to its fans of this game..The price is reasonable i think and all i can do is hope they address some of the bugs ..but adding mod tools will make this game much better thanks to the modders we aready have so i'll buy this and waite and see where this comunity i,m sure will take this city building game.....

Return to “News”