Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details

Moderator: Focus Team

X-Flame

Re: Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details

Postby X-Flame » 16 September 2011, 14:59

The real question here is: will it be available on Steam?

Vince

Postby Vince » 16 September 2011, 15:02

Hi everyone,

To answer some of your questions:

diScOpOlis wrote:I do wonder; it seems like your better off buying the stand-alone CXL2012 as it seems to hold a special guide to modding tools and the expansion doesn't.
Or can we assume it will be included? I'm not so sure because it may be a way to push people for the € 39.99 version.

The modding tools will be included in both the full version and the extension pack for Cities XL 2012.

diScOpOlis wrote:280 new buildings for €14.99, how many buildings did CXL2011 exactly have? Expansion + CXL2011= more then 1000 buildings? Or not?

Cities XL 2012, will have more than 1000 buildings included. So yes :-), Cities XL 2011 + Espansion = more than 1000 buildings.

Microsphera92 wrote:Now I want to know: Can I export my cities CXL 2011 to CXL 2012?
Grettings :)

Cities XL 2012 will automatically take into account your previous Cities XL's (both 2009 and 2011) cities. You will be able to play with them without having to do anything particular.

Rome101

Postby Rome101 » 16 September 2011, 16:39

Hey Vince, it's actually pretty darn great to get some official attention in these forums. That's really the way to go and I love it, and I'm sure anyone else also approves of this (you know, since you guys haven't really been in touch with us for quite a while. More attendance in the forums will undoubtedly mark the start of a revolution in the way the community sees Focus Home Interactive. Right now it's definitely not a positive view, but this can be easily changed if you continue to stick around, answer questions and release more information.
I do hope you can re-post, because personally I don't feel like the community's questions had been answered fully:

First, Discopolis asked if the guide to the modding tools will also be included in the upgrade version. We know the modding tools will be available on both full and upgrade versions.

Second, he also asked how many buildings CXL2011 had. Maybe you could give us a little statistics, like how many buildings there were in 2009, how many were added in 2011 and how many are new in 2012?

I do feel the last question was answered appropriately. Just to let you know, I will buy the FULL version even though I already have CXL 2011. This is my way of showing support, because I do believe that if you guys really put your souls into it, CXL 2013 might be the greatest city-builder ever.

I have another question which I hope you can answer. It will surely clear a lot of the mist around the new product and might create a big buzz - which of course translates into a big pointy green arrow in FHI's sales graph ;)
I'll ask the question now and hope you can answer soon.
What core changes to the game has been made? Specifically, what changes has FHI done to ensure the game mechanics work as well as it should?
(this relates to both the game engine, i.e. multi-core support and memory leaks, and also to the actual game mechanics themselves, like the nonfunctional metro and the trophy system that announces you have a city of 2000 people when you're long after the 10K mark). Plus, of course, if there is anything actually NEW in the game (like new types of buildings, new animations, anything that changes even the slightest how this game works).

I'd love to get an answer to that. Thank you for your time.

sirupflex

Postby sirupflex » 16 September 2011, 17:44

Ok, some more news, finally ... so I'm getting back into the discussion again.

Good news first: The 14.99 for this expansion pack is a fair price, thanks.

Bad news: According to this FHI announcement, it's an expansion pack only. Means, all the flaws in gameplay are still there, no improvement or additions done in any way (public transportation, simulation engine, zoning behavior, etc.) ... if we're lucky then at least some of the most awful bugs have been fixes meanwhile.

Looks like FHI was not holding back a big surprise ... there's simply no surprise, unfortunately.

Overkast

Postby Overkast » 16 September 2011, 21:05

It's easy to read between the lines when it comes to Cities XL and FHI. Just use your brains people...

This game is like the ex-girlfriend you keep dating and breaking up with, because you hope it will be something better than what it really is. SC4 die-hards keep falling in love with the graphics engine and possibilities of this game, only to be heartbroken by weak developer's code that is plagued with bugs and memory leaks... rendering any hopes of city longevity a practical untouchable fantasy for a majority of users.

FHI bought publishing rights to a game and inherited an unfinished product... I'm sure they never had any plans to re-structure the development code of this game to the point where it became more stable to run. And the lack of attention FHI gives it's own forums here should have painted a pretty obvious picture of that for you already.

Yes, modding will probably enable a bunch of wonderful eye-candy things in this game going forward, but any of you dreaming that the broken coding infrastructure of this game is miraculously fixed, forget it. Once you come to grips with this reality, only then can you decide if CXL 2012 is worth your money or not.

Seems to me that FHI is probably performing a last-ditch attempt at making a little more money on Cities XL before they discontinue supporting it completely. By opening this game up to modding, FHI is basically calling it quits for further development because they know the community will take it from here.

sirupflex

Postby sirupflex » 16 September 2011, 21:41

These thoughts I had, too, and I'm afraid that this is most likely picturing reality better than we all like.

MR.sugar

Postby MR.sugar » 16 September 2011, 21:51

Yea, that's where the game is probably heading. It wouldn't be very lucrative to keep releasing another and another CXL every year, as the interest in this game will most likely dissapear in void after some time.

It's sad, I thought this is chance to bring this gender back and attract more people. Well, maybe FHI will revive at after 5 or more years with a proper sequel, who knows.

Overkast

Postby Overkast » 16 September 2011, 22:27

MR.sugar wrote:It's sad, I thought this is chance to bring this gender back and attract more people. Well, maybe FHI will revive at after 5 or more years with a proper sequel, who knows.

I feel your pain. The worst part is that I think there's a stereotype out there that city builders are a niche group, and thus not alot of potential sales in a city builder. But SimCity 3000 is one of the top best-selling games of all time w/ over 5 million copies sold. I think the problem is really that developers have only been half-committing themselves to invest the time and effort it takes to really make a good city-builder that will be successful.

We're not a dying genre, we're just victims of inept software development.

hybridmike09

Postby hybridmike09 » 16 September 2011, 23:48

For those in North America who bought CXL '11, will it be available for download? I saw the Euro price only.

Besides more buildings, will anything else be added? I hope the "traffic simulator" bug will be fixed. I'm not sure if I missed it, but I hope we can terraform before me actually choose the land we want to place our city. If I pick fertile plains 3 times to create 3 cities; the land is exactly the same. It looks so unreal on a 2 lane (or more) road/avenue when cars in the right lane turn left and cars in the far left lane turn right. I wish the traffic signals were more real and play a larger part. If CXL '12 is an expansion to CXL '11, and some say that SC4 got better when Rush Hour was available; I hope the modding and added expansion will fix a lot of the bugs and add more content. A expansion every year doesn't boad well and if no fixes are implemented, then I'm done with CXL...would be a shame....I had high hopes for this one. When busses were introduced, I loved the fact that they can be placed along streets and not take up precious tile real estate! Simcity Societies was terrible and Sc4 really shows its age. I wish CXL '11 and '12 create the successor of Sc4 that many of us had hoped for but I'm skeptical. It's painful to wait a year for new updates/patches/added content. It's like pulling teeth for patches! Better yet, it's like pulling teeth period!!!

hybridmike09

Postby hybridmike09 » 16 September 2011, 23:54

Overkast wrote:It's easy to read between the lines when it comes to Cities XL and FHI. Just use your brains people...

This game is like the ex-girlfriend you keep dating and breaking up with, because you hope it will be something better than what it really is. SC4 die-hards keep falling in love with the graphics engine and possibilities of this game, only to be heartbroken by weak developer's code that is plagued with bugs and memory leaks... rendering any hopes of city longevity a practical untouchable fantasy for a majority of users.

FHI bought publishing rights to a game and inherited an unfinished product... I'm sure they never had any plans to re-structure the development code of this game to the point where it became more stable to run. And the lack of attention FHI gives it's own forums here should have painted a pretty obvious picture of that for you already.

Yes, modding will probably enable a bunch of wonderful eye-candy things in this game going forward, but any of you dreaming that the broken coding infrastructure of this game is miraculously fixed, forget it. Once you come to grips with this reality, only then can you decide if CXL 2012 is worth your money or not.

Seems to me that FHI is probably performing a last-ditch attempt at making a little more money on Cities XL before they discontinue supporting it completely. By opening this game up to modding, FHI is basically calling it quits for further development because they know the community will take it from here.

I agree. It's sad. I was so giddy when FHI took over when Monte Cristo folded. Then when I bought and played CXL 'll it hit me! CXL '09/'11; they were the same; down to the same bugs! (with some minor additions). Then when the bugs were really bad, FHI was all quiet and nothing was done for months. A patch was announced by a small amount of bugs were fixed. Some glaring ones still existed. I hope someone; a visionary, comes to rescue the city-building genre....what's left? I loved Sc4 but it's soooooo old. I wouldnt mind if Maxis/EA reboot it like these terrible reboots in the theatres! After playing/seeing the graphics in CXL, I can't go back to Sc4! Finally busses don't take up valuable real estate lol. I wish someone would come in and create a fantastic city-building sim!!!!!!!

Return to “News”