Cities XL 2012 Unveils More New Screenshots!

Moderator: Focus Team

nicko2u

Re: Cities XL 2012 Unveils More New Screenshots!

Postby nicko2u » 05 October 2011, 12:41

Rome101 wrote:FHI is a team of 5 people.

They hire a couple more and you have one awesome game and cash to be made.

Rome101

Postby Rome101 » 05 October 2011, 12:45

Probably not. Game development is practically a black hole for time and money. I don't think they'll have any way to pay for more workers.

I'm don't even believe that Cities XL is their only job. FHI is probably just a side gig and not a full-time job. All of them probably have other contracts, most likely private ones.

Oliver

Postby Oliver » 05 October 2011, 14:46

FHI is a publisher with a big amount of games to publish. Of course they are full time workers, who told you something different?
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

soltan gris

Postby soltan gris » 05 October 2011, 15:53

There are two key points:

1. Focus are a publisher, not a developer

2. They have many other projects to take care of

The rest is speculation.

MR.sugar

Postby MR.sugar » 05 October 2011, 17:22

At first, you have to get the fact Focus is bscly devided now. It's publisher and developer now (it's not just publisher, how could they do the modding tools and new buildings, if they have no development team?).

Yes, Focus has a lot more other projects, but as far as I know, it's only publisher's part, I don't know if Focus develop any other game. And even if they do, then they have bad manager who seems to be incappable to work out proper "workflow" of the company.

And yes, they can hire more people. One example..

Interwawe studios is relatively new independed game studio. They've recently released their very first game "Nuclear Dawn" (it costs about 20 euro). And still, there are 20 people! And this only game is all they can gather money from at this point!
Focus, quite well established company (thanks to the income from publishing) can't afford to invest and get more poeple? I think this is joke right? If they want to grow, they have to take the risk and invest more money! That's how it works.

soltan gris

Postby soltan gris » 05 October 2011, 22:41

At first, you have to get the fact Focus is bscly devided now. It's publisher and developer now (it's not just publisher, how could they do the modding tools and new buildings, if they have no development team?).

Well, it doesn't make any sense for a publisher company to have a permanent developer team now, does it? Unless I'm greatly mistaken about the work a publisher does... I think what they're doing is employing (or employed) part of the old MC team part time, along with couple of their own employees that can do some development. Of course, I'm speculating too.

Focus, quite well established company (thanks to the income from publishing) can't afford to invest and get more poeple? I think this is joke right? If they want to grow, they have to take the risk and invest more money! That's how it works.

What makes you think they're willing to invest the time and money required to enlarge their team and develop CXL as they should?
Can they do it? Yes, they can. Would they? We can't know. Obviously, all the talk in the forums has failed to impress them much. Unless you're willing to go talk to their boss and convince him that CXL is worth all this. If you're willing to do this, you can count on our collective support :)

By the way, I have another theory: they're trying right now to find a real developer to work on the game, and CXL 2012 is only 'filling in' so that the game community doesn't die out.

And please MR.sugar, don't jump at me, I'm just trying to express a rational opinion. You seem to like contradicting anything I post.

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Postby snick25 » 06 October 2011, 00:58

Focus doesn't have to be a developer to release a few new buildings and modding tools. They're probably just using tools that MC used to create them. You don't have to be a developer to make buildings and maps. Granted, you won't normally find a publisher doing this, but FHI is in a difficult position right now.

Now, coding and programming is where a developer is needed. Until Focus can find one, there will probably be no major changes to the game.

13cj2008

Postby 13cj2008 » 06 October 2011, 01:07

So I recently found out about this game and have been reading on the forum that it does not have multicore support.
I'm not sure if that just means that the game doesn't use the multiple processors when running or if that meant the game will physically not work at all.
My laptop runs on an Intel i7 and I was hoping someone could clarify this for me as I really want this game.

soltan gris

Postby soltan gris » 06 October 2011, 01:24

Don't worry, the game will run on your PC :) 'Multicore support' means that the game isn't optimized to make use of more than one core of the CPU, not that it's not compatible with multicore CPUs. The reason everybody's complaining about multicore is that the game is very processor-dependent, but paradoxically it can't use the full power of contemporary processors. No doubt a significant oversight of the developer Monte Cristo, which is (probably) too late to fix, unless somebody's available to rewrite the game code almost from scratch.

Because of that, what's most important about the game's performance is CPU speed (regardless of number of cores) and graphic card. I guess memory also helps, but I didn't notice such a big jump in performance when I doubled my memory 2 years ago. I did notice a jump when I bought a faster processor, though.

MR.sugar

Postby MR.sugar » 06 October 2011, 14:25

soltan gris wrote:
Well, it doesn't make any sense for a publisher company to have a permanent developer team now, does it? Unless I'm greatly mistaken about the work a publisher does... I think what they're doing is employing (or employed) part of the old MC team part time, along with couple of their own employees that can do some development. Of course, I'm speculating too.

I assume that one company can be both and have publisher division and development division... It used to be only Publisher, but it's not like that anymore I guess.

soltan gris wrote:What makes you think they're willing to invest the time and money required to enlarge their team and develop CXL as they should?
Can they do it? Yes, they can. Would they? We can't know. Obviously, all the talk in the forums has failed to impress them much. Unless you're willing to go talk to their boss and convince him that CXL is worth all this. If you're willing to do this, you can count on our collective support :)

By the way, I have another theory: they're trying right now to find a real developer to work on the game, and CXL 2012 is only 'filling in' so that the game community doesn't die out. .

No, they are not willing to invest (clearly) and I'm saying that it's not way to go. If you want to build community around the product, you have to make it successful in the first place and invest. Also, community wouldn't die out if they released this one next year!

What they are doing with the brand right now is not good for the future of it in the upcoming years.

soltan gris wrote:And please MR.sugar, don't jump at me, I'm just trying to express a rational opinion. You seem to like contradicting anything I post.

And I just expressing my rational opinion about your opinion. This is dusscusion forum. I'm kind of used to this type of conversation from other forums, strange people here are not used to it...

Return to “News”