Pre-Purchase now and save 10%!

Moderator: Focus Team

Romaq

Re: Pre-Purchase now and save 10%!

Postby Romaq » 12 October 2011, 10:13

I'll make the pre-purchase via Steam in anticipation of seeing really great things out of NeXL. I'm looking to the 'free' NeXL more than I'm looking forward to the expansion I'm paying for, but so be it. I'm also puttering in SimCity 4 with my Whatcom County Washington State map and I'll enjoy which ever game happens to suit my mood. I much prefer SC4's style of gameplay where I can place zones, then see what the Sims decide to build in any given location. I prefer CXL's full-up 3d graphics. I prefer Civ V's technical aspects 'under the hood'.

I don't think Focus Home Entertainment has to worry about EA releasing SimCity 5, good-bad-or ugly. If EA did release SimCity 5 with SC4's game play, mod kits to allow things like what is on SimTrop, if it had Civ V's technical performance, I do not expect to have any use for CitiesXL following the release date. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for SC5. Instead, I'll spend around the cost of a meal for the fun of CXL 2012 upgrade off of Steam and enjoy it for what it is and for what I think it is worth.

BTW, I'm pleased to report SimCity BOX is *STILL* on the shelf at the local Wal-Mart for $20 USD. It pleases me because in my opinion SC4 was a great game for the technology at the time and for the hope I have that EA still sees enough sales to keep the unit out there where it could have been replaced by some Sims expansion or something else. I still have the hope that EA Games would move on that to publish a serious take on what SimCity can be given new hardware is common now, and where SimTrop could take a new game into the next decade. Again, I won't hold my breath expecting EA to satisfy my personal wish.

I frown upon the lack of respect for differing opinions concerning the 2012 upgrade. "FHI suxx0rs, buy this you must be brainwashed!" "SC4 suxx0rs, you should buy this upgrade or you are an idiot!"

Whatever, dudes. There really are more important things to life. NeXL is more important in the scheme of things than this upgrade, in my opinion. But the only thing I'm going to say is stupid, in my opinion, is the petty viciousness towards others who do not completely agree with whomever is posting. Perhaps all the noise is so obnoxious simply because the stakes involved are so small.

X-Flame

Postby X-Flame » 12 October 2011, 14:37

hybridmike09 wrote:Wow, the ones who are dying to buy the so called expansion seem brainwashed. Most if not all who are upset at this latest offering are trying to give everyone who are looking to buy into CXL, a more overview of a- what's been going on since CXL '09 until now b- A shock of how little '12 adds content besides modding. I've played CXL since Monte Cristo released it in '09. Yes, modding is nice, but when you look at '09 to '11 it's 95% the same. Each edition is $39.99 (not including the "preorder sale"). With '12 all who have '11 all it adds is modding, 15 more maps, and 300 more buildings. To make it worthwhile, there should be bug fixes ( a lot of them linger still) included, added content (tweaking the old content) and some new content. If modding is indeed added and if anyone works on the transportation part of CXL, it might bring me back. This is the first time I won't preorder a CXL game. Most gaming sites say the same thing; it's thin in content and nothing new. If FHI invested more development into CXL, added more content, tweaked the old content then it would have a huge following from both SimCity fans (had to say SimCity because of Romaq) and CXL fans as well as city-building fans. Also, it would probably garner attention from educators. Nothing wrong with a realistic simulator that allows students to play and learn at the same time.

You are wrong.

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Postby snick25 » 12 October 2011, 16:33

hybridmike09 wrote:Wow, the ones who are dying to buy the so called expansion seem brainwashed. Most if not all who are upset at this latest offering are trying to give everyone who are looking to buy into CXL, a more overview of a- what's been going on since CXL '09 until now b- A shock of how little '12 adds content besides modding. I've played CXL since Monte Cristo released it in '09. Yes, modding is nice, but when you look at '09 to '11 it's 95% the same. Each edition is $39.99 (not including the "preorder sale"). With '12 all who have '11 all it adds is modding, 15 more maps, and 300 more buildings. To make it worthwhile, there should be bug fixes ( a lot of them linger still) included, added content (tweaking the old content) and some new content. If modding is indeed added and if anyone works on the transportation part of CXL, it might bring me back. This is the first time I won't preorder a CXL game. Most gaming sites say the same thing; it's thin in content and nothing new. If FHI invested more development into CXL, added more content, tweaked the old content then it would have a huge following from both SimCity fans (had to say SimCity because of Romaq) and CXL fans as well as city-building fans. Also, it would probably garner attention from educators. Nothing wrong with a realistic simulator that allows students to play and learn at the same time.

Have you ever heard of the ENTER key? It's very useful for making paragraphs...

And no, not everyone is upset as in your little fantasy world. Some people are actually excited about this game. The world isn't all black and white, you know.

MR.sugar

Postby MR.sugar » 12 October 2011, 17:17

It's nice Vince is showing up on the forum btw, but I'm getting a bit fed up as he just ignore all the concerns and answering only questions people can easily find anywhere... (people should use search funcion)

Also for people who are buying this for NEXL... NEXL (as it's developers said) should work with CXL11 as well and I assume that most mods created in modding tools should work with CXL11 as well, as there is nothing what should create "incompatibility". Unless Focus did it on purpose to force people to buy this.

In short, modding tools are for creating/updating content, not for using it. The content created in modding tools should work without it!

Romaq

Postby Romaq » 12 October 2011, 17:38

MR.sugar wrote:...In short, modding tools are for creating/updating content, not for using it. The content created in modding tools should work without it!

That is my expectation, that I would be able to enjoy NEXL without CXL 2012. And I'm more interested in NEXL (which will be offered free) than I am in CXL 2012. But I plan to purchase the expansion pack in support of the game as it is, more or less voting with my dollars in favor of continued support and growth of the software (and the genre), and to me it is such a small, trivial thing. I certainly do not expect to be called names for such a trivial purchase, nor do I expect to be called names for strongly wishing for a true successor to SimCity 4 which I freely admit CitiesXL in any incarnation is *NOT*.

At some point, there should be room in this discussion for differing opinion without seeking to trash everyone who does not agree 100% with whatever position someone happens to take. It's a freakin' game. May as well have Holy War bloodshed over versions of solitaire and what artwork on the playing deck is the true, sacred God's chosen card deck.

hybridmike09

Postby hybridmike09 » 13 October 2011, 00:18

X-Flame wrote:

You are wrong.

Retail versions, not including the promotions. You have proof otherwise? Show it.

Rome101

Postby Rome101 » 13 October 2011, 00:39

Thanks for the reply Vince. I'm buying the full version off of Steam instead of the upgrade version, in hopes this will encourage you guys to release patches or DLCs in the very near future. God knows this game needs them.

ohadi195

Postby ohadi195 » 13 October 2011, 00:48

hey Rome, Hag Sameah!

I just bought it from steam, don't forget to activate your serial in order to get the discount ;)

hybridmike09

Postby hybridmike09 » 13 October 2011, 00:59

snick25 wrote:

Have you ever heard of the ENTER key? It's very useful for making paragraphs...

And no, not everyone is upset as in your little fantasy world. Some people are actually excited about this game. The world isn't all black and white, you know.

<enter>
Yes <period> Why are you making it a big deal in a forum <period> As long as it's readable <comma> who cares <question mark> <exclamation point>
<enter>
I'm not making fun of anyone <period> I was surprised at how many seem to be jumping up and down for the expansion pack and why when someone voices their displeasure, you and others have to resort to attacks<period> I was stating my OPINION <period> Try listening to people more than belittling them.
<enter>
"Some people are actually excited about this game." Ok. What's your point? All I stated if you saw in my previous posts is I won't be preordering; instead I will be watching on the sidelines. If FHI did add more content than what they stated, and bug fixes; then I will buy it much later.
<enter>
"The world isn't all black and white, you know." Really???? Amazing! Thanks for the lesson! What's your point? I value opinions, you should too!

snick25

Postby snick25 » 13 October 2011, 01:08

hybridmike09 wrote:<enter>
Yes <period> Why are you making it a big deal in a forum <period> As long as it's readable <comma> who cares <question mark> <exclamation point>
<enter>
I'm not making fun of anyone <period> I was surprised at how many seem to be jumping up and down for the expansion pack and why when someone voices their displeasure, you and others have to resort to attacks<period> I was stating my OPINION <period> Try listening to people more than belittling them.
<enter>
"Some people are actually excited about this game." Ok. What's your point? All I stated if you saw in my previous posts is I won't be preordering; instead I will be watching on the sidelines. If FHI did add more content than what they stated, and bug fixes; then I will buy it much later.
<enter>
"The world isn't all black and white, you know." Really???? Amazing! Thanks for the lesson! What's your point? I value opinions, you should too!

Nice sarcasm. But no, I could barely read your message, so this is an improvement. ;)

Also, I never belittled you, just pointed out that you seem to think everything is one-sided. You stated that people who think the game is an expansion pack are "brainwashed". That sure sounds like belittlement to me.

And yes, the world isn't all black and white. And no, you seem not to value the opinions of those who disagree with you. Calling people "brainwashed" does not equate to valuing their opinions.

Me? I see plenty in merit in what people are saying when the criticize the game. It has a lot of bugs and could use some vast improvement in terms of transport networks. But until FHI has a capable developer, I'm afraid we're just going to have to wait for these fixes.

Return to “News”