hello once again!
a new intersection has been built today just south of Kenwood in the Industrial Park.
I am goint to show you exacly how i did it and hopefully you will get an idea of what to do yourself
now this intersection is a 4 way intersection. Theres lots of different types you can do but this is the one im doing today
may do some more posts like this if you guys like it.
but keep in mind guys these intersections are mostly for eye candy... they work and everything and can carry cars etc but if your looking to build one of these because you think it will solve your traffic problems then just build a normal expressway instead hehe they have a transportation capacity of 160 and each avenue only has 60 per road so it wud be cheaper and more efficient to just build a normal expressway and have a normal crossing...
but thats no fun
and this looks alot better besides
so anyway hope you guys find it useful at all.
1) So you start off with your 4 points were you want to build the intersection from.
will look something like this:
2) You then want an overpass and an underpass. Its best if you start off with the overpass and then build all the ramps around it rather than building it over the ramps. It will then be impossible. But make it high enough to allow room for some ramps to go underneath. but dont make it too high because then it will look stupid (in my opinion) because it will look like a massive bow sticking out of your city haha.
Also if you can try make the big pillars go in the middle of the bridge for added realism
3) Next its time to build the underpass. If you can try to sink the road a bit to give more space for the ramps.
I cannot on this map due to the high water level. Build the underpass right under the highest point in the overpass.
4) You may come across a few obsticles when building an interchange. Especially if your building it in the middle of a city. As you can see here i have a road in the way, but i dont want to delete it because it is part of the grid pattern of the city so im gonna keep it there. So im going to build a bridge over it. But remember you can always delete objects and roads if you want to.
5) There! now we have a nice over and underpass. Now time to put the ramps in.
6) You can do ramps with either roads or small avenues. I prefer roads because it just looks nicer
I tend to start with the outside ramps first. Sometimes on bigger intersections i do the inside ones first. It doesnt matter which way round you do them. You start by placing the yellow marker next to a small avenue, but make sure that you dont connect the ramps to the wrong side! you dont want traffic going in the wrong direction! and dont connect the ramps to the avenues yet. I tend to do that later.
But these ramps are fairly easy to do and not too hard on connecting to the wrong side.
7) Now im only building 1 outside ramp for the time being because i wanna plan the others depending on what the inside ramps are like
and i will then have more freedom building the inside ones. Now I dont really have enough space inside the ramp for much so im going to build the new ramp outside the outer ramp and make it overlap it. Like this:
8) Now the key with these ramps is that they should take up as less space as possible so you can build more ramps. So what you want to do is raise the bridge when you go over the underpass and then lower it when you go under the underpass. Like on this picture below.
You can either connect this ramp to an outside road or connect it to another avenue. But make sure again its on the right side
9) Do the same again with any other ramps you want to put in.
Note that themore ramps you have the harder it will be to place another. But if you can pull off having loads of ramps then great!
I managed to have a complete 4 way intersection once with ramps allowing cars to go every 4 direction (on my avatar)
It took up alot of space though
10) Once you built all the ramps you need you then connect them to the avenues. I know it doesnt look very nice this bit but theres no other way of connectiong them to the avenue hehe. Do it like this:
11) Once youve set all the directions for the roads, connected all the ramps, your interchange is ready to connect to your highway system.
You can also put trees inbetween the ramps and make it look nice.
This is how mine turned out:
I hope you guys find this useful and hopefully there will be some mods to not make the bridges so bulky and not take up so much space and have a propper way of connecting the ramps to the highway.
Here are some interchanges I have built in the past:
and here is an overview and map of a highway system i did on a previous city back in the 09' days
Thanks for looking