[HELP] Gameplay FAQ

Moderator: Focus Team

mr-tom

Metro Line - Extending Existing

Postby mr-tom » 03 November 2010, 00:05

Metro Line - Extending Existing

Question:
hongkongcy19 wrote:I had laid metro lines in the residential/commercial area, and now, I would like to extend the metro line into industrial area, but I found that I can only build a NEW line, and cannot add a new station along the existing line between two existing stations, do I have to erase all stations and rebuild the metro line?

Answer:
soltan gris wrote:Also, there's a workaround the fact that you can't extend metro lines:

1. Delete the track of a metro line - this is done easy when you use the area buldozing tool right above the track. This way you'll delete the line, the track, but leave the ground stations!

2. Rebuild the line, using the existing stations - simply start clicking from the former end station and click on each station along the old line's track. When you reach the opposite end station, simply continue. You'll create a new metro line, but it'll be basically the old line extended :D

Oliver

Re: Gameplay FAQ

Postby Oliver » 03 November 2010, 18:36

How to change city names:

Question:

severe_009 wrote:2. Ability to change the city name? Or is it possible through other means.

Answer:

Oliver wrote:1)Go to Users/Username/AppData/local/FocusHomeInteractive/Cities XL 2011/live/offline/solo and open the folder of the city you want to rename. To check which folder contains which city take a look at the city overview screens saved in the folder.

2)Open the file checkpoint.cxl with the Editor or Notepad

3)Change the underlined value
<itm key = 'PopSat' value = '58.535747528076' />
<itm key = 'CashFlow' value = '10639' />
<itm key = 'Tourists' value = '0' />
<itm key = 'Population' value = '175531' />
<itm key = 'CityName' value = 'Linz' />
into the new name you want.

4)Save the file
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

Oliver

Re: [HELP] Gameplay FAQ

Postby Oliver » 16 November 2010, 19:14

How to see percentage values instead of coloured dots in business reports?

Question:

vortex500 wrote:I click on a factory and check the dots. Green,red and orange... yikes, all the colours I can't separate due to my colour blindness... I can't play this game, every little dot looks the same. Is there anyway to turn on % instead of colours? Or even to have a check mark for positive feedback or a cross mark for negative feedback inside the dot?

Any other colour blind people play this game? If so do you got any tips or tricks? In SC4 there were from start more % then colours and a lot mods who fixed the overlay to a more colour blind friendly layout, anything like this in CXL2011?

Answer:

vortex500 wrote:I put my mouse cursor above the dot I see the % . Sure a little cumbersome to check a lot of stats but at least I can play now.
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

mr-tom

Highways - How To Build

Postby mr-tom » 26 November 2010, 23:12

Highways - How To Build

Question:

oneupcanuck wrote:I left a large opening for a highway system to be built running through my city but when I tried to make connections to expressway or avenues I ran into major problems.
-The interchange for avenues is HUGE, so huge that even though I left plenty of space it doesn't look like it will fit unless i tear down some buildings.
-I also don't know how to rotate the pieces to make them fit.
-I still haven't been able to make the interchange connect to the avenue or to connect highway to expressway.
-Also, I noticed the highway is at grond level. Is there any way to raise the highway up and run roads under it or make your own on and off ramps?

Answer:

V4nKw15h wrote:Okay, I thought I would let you know some basics on highways.

Firstly, they are limited but here's the basics.

The most useful of all the interchanges is the large interchanges with ALL highway roads.
1. Build interchange.
2. Choose Highway road tool, and make and build some road off each junction.
3. Choose the Highway to expressway roadpiece that can be found in the highway interchange menu.
3b. This small piece will snap to any piece of highway, or expressway, but not directly to the interchange.
4. Choose the expressway and build this onto the above piece.

I suppose you could build it the opposite way around, but interchanges are large and fussy to place. It's usually easier to place the interchange first and then connect up the roads

To rotate the interchange hold down the shift key.

The other interchanges are rarely if ever useful. The small connecting roads usually create congestion, and so I'd suggest starting out with the larger interchanges unless you find a use for a smaller one.

Off roads and on roads are not possible. Some players make custom interchanges by building all the roads and ramps manually but these are incredibly fiddly to make and don't add any advantages other than having something unique in your city.

mr-tom

Custom Intersections - Eye Candy

Postby mr-tom » 27 November 2010, 15:16

Custom Intersections - Eye Candy

Question:
How can I build pretty looking intersections? I'm more interested in looks and layout than efficiency.

Answer:

THEJESTR wrote:hello once again!

a new intersection has been built today just south of Kenwood in the Industrial Park.
I am goint to show you exacly how i did it and hopefully you will get an idea of what to do yourself :D

now this intersection is a 4 way intersection. Theres lots of different types you can do but this is the one im doing today :)
may do some more posts like this if you guys like it.

but keep in mind guys these intersections are mostly for eye candy... they work and everything and can carry cars etc but if your looking to build one of these because you think it will solve your traffic problems then just build a normal expressway instead hehe they have a transportation capacity of 160 and each avenue only has 60 per road so it wud be cheaper and more efficient to just build a normal expressway and have a normal crossing...
but thats no fun :D and this looks alot better besides :)

so anyway hope you guys find it useful at all.

------------------------------------

1) So you start off with your 4 points were you want to build the intersection from.
will look something like this:

2) You then want an overpass and an underpass. Its best if you start off with the overpass and then build all the ramps around it rather than building it over the ramps. It will then be impossible. But make it high enough to allow room for some ramps to go underneath. but dont make it too high because then it will look stupid (in my opinion) because it will look like a massive bow sticking out of your city haha.
Also if you can try make the big pillars go in the middle of the bridge for added realism ;)

3) Next its time to build the underpass. If you can try to sink the road a bit to give more space for the ramps.
I cannot on this map due to the high water level. Build the underpass right under the highest point in the overpass.

4) You may come across a few obsticles when building an interchange. Especially if your building it in the middle of a city. As you can see here i have a road in the way, but i dont want to delete it because it is part of the grid pattern of the city so im gonna keep it there. So im going to build a bridge over it. But remember you can always delete objects and roads if you want to. :)

5) There! now we have a nice over and underpass. Now time to put the ramps in.

6) You can do ramps with either roads or small avenues. I prefer roads because it just looks nicer :)
I tend to start with the outside ramps first. Sometimes on bigger intersections i do the inside ones first. It doesnt matter which way round you do them. You start by placing the yellow marker next to a small avenue, but make sure that you dont connect the ramps to the wrong side! you dont want traffic going in the wrong direction! and dont connect the ramps to the avenues yet. I tend to do that later.
But these ramps are fairly easy to do and not too hard on connecting to the wrong side. :)

7) Now im only building 1 outside ramp for the time being because i wanna plan the others depending on what the inside ramps are like :P and i will then have more freedom building the inside ones. Now I dont really have enough space inside the ramp for much so im going to build the new ramp outside the outer ramp and make it overlap it. Like this:

8) Now the key with these ramps is that they should take up as less space as possible so you can build more ramps. So what you want to do is raise the bridge when you go over the underpass and then lower it when you go under the underpass. Like on this picture below.
You can either connect this ramp to an outside road or connect it to another avenue. But make sure again its on the right side :P

9) Do the same again with any other ramps you want to put in.
Note that themore ramps you have the harder it will be to place another. But if you can pull off having loads of ramps then great!
I managed to have a complete 4 way intersection once with ramps allowing cars to go every 4 direction (on my avatar)
It took up alot of space though :(

10) Once you built all the ramps you need you then connect them to the avenues. I know it doesnt look very nice this bit but theres no other way of connectiong them to the avenue hehe. Do it like this:

11) Once youve set all the directions for the roads, connected all the ramps, your interchange is ready to connect to your highway system.
You can also put trees inbetween the ramps and make it look nice.
This is how mine turned out:

--------------------------------------------

I hope you guys find this useful and hopefully there will be some mods to not make the bridges so bulky and not take up so much space and have a propper way of connecting the ramps to the highway.

Here are some interchanges I have built in the past:

and here is an overview and map of a highway system i did on a previous city back in the 09' days

Thanks for looking :)

mr-tom

Parks - Creating Natural Ones

Postby mr-tom » 27 November 2010, 18:52

Parks - Creating Natural Ones

Question:

How can I create natural looking parks?

Answer:

Aelencia wrote:Funny you said something about the parks!

On another forum I already posted a guide on how to create diversity in Parks...
For people who would like to know, I'll post it below:

Guide to Creating a more Urban Park.

Create the outlining of your Urban park and the paths you want with regular roads.
Then create boundries for the different fillers.

Just fill in, I prefer the centre with less trees and the outer parts with more.

Remove the boundries between what you have and what you're going to fill.

Continue this way.

A more personal touch, I prefer paths instead of roads.
But there are bigger parks where I'll use plenty of regular or old town roads.

( 6. )
Props can be added - It's best you add them before you start with Step 2.
Props include hotels, leisure buildings, monuments and small doodadds.

Voila, a beautiful park with heaps of diversity!

-Aelencia ;)

PS. Thanks for the suggestion, Tom.. Haha :D
I know that it is hard to see, but that park is built like this :)

Not the most interesting lay-out, but it is a park built around a ruin, I mean; come on! (Somewhat matches the real park)
The picture is already heavily outdated; Wow, didn't even notice

mr-tom

Screenshots - How To:

Postby mr-tom » 01 December 2010, 08:56

Screenshots - How To:

Question

orayole wrote:The screen shot button in game doesn't seem to take screen shots. If it is working I have no idea where the screen shots are being saved to. I dont see a screen shot folder in the cities xl folder.

Any help?

Answer:

keeda wrote:take screen shots with [F11] ... shots located in your "Pictures" folder/library ... Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011
high quality shots with [shift]-[F11]. overview shot with [CTRL]-[F11]

Also, Ctrl+Shift+F11 produces a screenshot with the highest possible quality.

mr-tom

Mouse Cursor - Missing

Postby mr-tom » 10 December 2010, 14:33

Mouse Cursor - Missing

Question:

tyrian wrote:When I'm entering the game, everything going well, but at the menu, I cannot choose anything cause there's no mouse cursor. If I'm moving my mouse, I can see highlighting items, so I can choose something, but it's virtually impossible to play anything like this.

Answer:

tyrian wrote:Problem solved by switching mouse trailing off.

mr-tom

Freeimage.dll - Missing

Postby mr-tom » 10 December 2010, 14:37

Freeimage.dll - Missing

Question

Attila_72 wrote:I've bought this retail game in a shop - I have the regcode too.
Installing the software is ok on a Win 7 64bit machine.
However, when starting it just bluntly says "system error", and it misses the 'freeimage.dll', and I should reinstall the game. No matter what I do, it just doesn't do that.

Answer:

bitula wrote:I have a solution it seems!
I went to the shop, where they replaced the DVD but, lol, it was exactly the same. So today I called the distributor Sevenm, and they instantly knew what was the problem.
Solution:
Go to http://www.cdv-sevenm.hu and there you will find freeimage.dll and instructions on how to fix this bug (somewhere in the news (hírek) section, lol). (I did not try it yet). They actually claim this is not a cracked copy, it's absolutely official. So I guess it is just a coincidence that cracked versions make use of freeimage as well.

mr-tom

Saved Game Backup Automation

Postby mr-tom » 27 December 2010, 03:42

Saved Game Backup Automation

(Windows 7)

Question:

Many, many people
(i) How can I stop my cities from dying? I don't know how to take back ups. Etc. Etc.

Answer:

Zan Laurin wrote:Using the following method you can easily set up an automatic backup of your save games and settings in only 7 steps.
This presumes you use Windows 7 regardless of flavor.

So why would would one waste 2 minutes of his/her life doing this? Well, it requires less effort (or better said discipline) than manually backing up your saves on a regular basis :) . Also with the current Cities XL 2011 build it seems that saves can get corrupted on occasion, particularly after growing over a certain size. Happened to me on a few occasions, and I've heard other stories.

I apologize to the tech savy for the extra steps I'll describe, I wrote this so that everyone and their grandmother can follow the steps and succeed. :)

Step 1: Navigate to your Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore manually or by simply typing "backup"in the start bar search area. You should reach this window where you can click the Set up Backup button (a new window will pop up):

Step 2: A window will pop up listing all your partitions/drives (except for the C: system drive). Select the drive where you want windows to save your back-up, make sure you have some free space on it. Hit the Next button.

Step 3: Select the Let Me Choose as seen in screenshot

Step 4: Make sure to uncheck the following 3 elements:
  • Back up data for newly created users
  • [YOUR USER NAME]'s Libraries
  • Include a system image of drives:
In this list navigate to the folder C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011 and have that one checked like this. (Again make sure you unchecked the "Back up data for newly created users" and "[YOUR USER NAME]'s Libraries" at the beginning of the list and the 3rd thingy checkbox under the list).

Step 5: In the next window click the Change Schedule link and set it up like shown, alternatively you can specify your own preffered schedule.

Step 6: Next window should look like this, should take a few moments depending on how much data is contained in the backed up folder. You can click the View Details button for extra info.

Step 7: You are done! Cakewalk ;) If you ever encounter a corrupt save game you can just click the Restore my Files button and they'll be reverted to one of the previous versions.
If you are paranoid about having unclean files in your save location navigate to C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\ and manually delete the Cities XL 2011 folder before restoring to a checkpoint.

Return to “General Forum”