[HELP] Gameplay FAQ

Moderator: Focus Team

mr-tom

Racetracks - How To Create

Postby mr-tom » 27 December 2010, 03:51

Racetracks - How To Create

Question:

How can I create amazing looking racetracks for my city? I want to host Le Mans 24 hours.

Answer:

dragoneyes001 wrote:here is a quicky look at how to make a race track with just the basics.
1) things to remember when doing this for a real track:

A) work from the center out. (although in my example I'm starting with the yellow lines if you plan to add anything mid road then start with that and work out)
B) do the entire track at once restarting poses serious problems
C) the snap-to will make perfection near impossible
D) this is pretty large about the size of a expressway track.

2) here is a look at what your aiming at generally depending on your taste:

to create a fine line you need to set two roads next to each other using curved roads you need to mirror your first road. then chose the plaza tool to add yellow line between the roads
Note: in the next following picture the arrow points to the yellow line

here I was going to add a broken and solid white line for an example (for ease I'd suggest doing this before any other steps) by using the plaza tool i allow a gap between the last filled part and the plaza i'm placing then fill it with white instead of black creating the line

here is what it looks like: note. its really hard to get any accuracy when working with curves and a very narrow space.

the same technique can be used to create the checkered inside corner edge with somewhat better control of the outcome.
remember you need to enclose the area first. if you don't want the shoulders that large you can set a new road the distance you want it to be wide away from the line and fill that instead of simply replacing the original road with black.

by alternating between white and red plaza to fill the void you leave you create the corner checks.
then adding the slide zones and then trees you end up with a reasonably realistic race track.

mr-tom

Tokens and Trade - How To

Postby mr-tom » 28 December 2010, 13:27

Tokens and Trade - How To

Question:

Old_Timer wrote:Could someone please tell me how to use the token system in cxl 2011?
I've tried the trade window and cant make any sense of it at all.
Current city is at 3+ Mill and 100+k cashflow but low on resources etc - no idea how to use the token system.
Sliders in trade to omnicorp move but just reset back on release of mouse.

Answer (1):

Denco wrote:Trading is accually quite challenging when dealing with large, needy cities. Build a Trading Empire using this idea:
Production Cities
This are cities that produce most basic material. I recomend muiltiple cities. One type can be agriculture and water. The other cites should be polluters, all industry(no office), power, and fuel(maybe other type). Last could be resort cities. All of this should trade to Omnicorp for the time being. Electrcity is golden because it requires no city connections, one can produce 3,000 tokens just by a mass of power-plants!
Trading Hub cites
These won't have much in them, only city hall, and city links, with only enough residents to run them. All of the resources will be collected in these cities, then routed to your capital cities. After building this city, divert the trade from the production cities from Omnicorp to your hub city. Trade away the tokens in hub to omnicorp. Now you have all resources that a large city may need in one place, including money.
Capital Cities
These will be your pride and joy, make them full of offices and beautiful residents. Have fun with these. There is no polluters, farms or producers nessesary, just office and residents, when you need a resource,just make hub stop trading the ones you need with Omnicorp, and route them into your Capital City.
Summary
So the process is:
1. Create production city(s)
2. Trade tokens from production city to Omnicorp.
3. Create hub city.
4 route tokens from procution city to hub.
5 Trade tokens that are now in hub with omnicorp.
6 Create Capital City
7Trade in tokens and money from hub as needed.

If there are any problems or questions, please comment. I haven'tcompleted this process yet for I am only in Middle School. Have fun!

Answer (2):

dragoneyes001 wrote:Image

when you sell tokens to another city or omnicorp the center number will be positive when you buy or receive from others its negative -25....
the cash tokens should be in the negative unless your selling cash tokens.
you need to have cash tokens in your favor to buy from other cities this will be in a negative number at the top (above sliders)
your expenses are the top far left number in the pic above its -3882
you need to be selling more of your other tokens in value than your expenses
your total sales are at the top below the yellow arrow icon to the right of that is the difference after your expenses (the net)
if the net is red you wont be able to purchase from the other city and the board will reset if its green as above example you can buy tokens.
so you need to be careful when you have a small margin to buy with.
to buy slowly use the arrows on each side of the sliders so you can purchase or sell in single increments.

another thing to note and my example pic shows this for the most part is you want to keep the excess tokens on your side to a minimum when it pertains to your population and industry because a glut in food as the pic above shows hurts the producers who can't sell their product so the industry starts hurting (goes bankrupt)

I tend to keep an extra 2-3 tokens as a rule of thumb. where this is not important are the resources like electricity & water both of which you can over produce to your hearts content and the buildings creating them wont suffer fuel also for the most part as well as waste work the same having too much doesn't seem to affect them.

the other very important number to keep an eye on is your total freight capacity listed at the top of the page if you can't move it you can't sell it.

Answer (3)

soltan gris wrote:Maybe we should also explain what is a token :D

A Token is the practical term used to represent the amount of production for all resources in the game (fuel, energy, water, food, heavy industry, offices, etc.). Every business or utility building you place in your city creates a resource and uses up other resources. The token is the unified measure showing the amount created or used. Instead of having, say, 50 Mw/h of electricity, we have, say, 1 electricity token. Instead of 200 office workers, we have 20 office tokens.

Note that a single building won't be able to produce a whole token of a resource (usually). For example, you'll need 20+ industry buildings to reach 1 token. It depends a lot, for example heavy density industry or big power plants produce more than light density or small plants. They also consume more.

Cash tokens are used when you trade with other cities/Omnicorp. They're created when you have a positive cashflow (income), and like the other tokens, you need multiple cash units for a single token. In this case, 1 cash token = 100 of your cashflow.

Warning! Only the cashflow is taken into account in cash tokens creation, not your overall budget! If, for example, you have 5 000 000 in your budget currently, BUT you're losing money (negative cashflow), you won't have ANY cash tokens!

For more info, you can visit http://www.simtropolis.com , the Omnibus section and look at the Cities XL information there.

mr-tom

Rectangles - How to create perfect ones

Postby mr-tom » 06 January 2011, 20:15

Rectangles - How to create perfect ones

Question

How can I make a rectangle so perfect that things *exactly* fit in it? Even using the right angle roads tool, it always seems that tiny bit off.

Answer

David Hoyle wrote:This is how to create rectangles that line up perfectly if you like drawing your own zoning lots rather than using the zoning tools for res, com or ind.

This seems to work on any distance although I haven't tested it over undulating landscape yet :roll:

Step 1... First Road
Draw out your first road using the Straight Road tool - this can be at any angle I've found.

Step 2... Second Road
Draw your second road at a right angle to the first road. The road will turn blue once its at a perfect right angle.

Step 3... Third Road
Draw your third road at a right angle to the second road like you did in Step 2.

Step 4... Fourth Road
This is the important one draw a fourth road at a right angle to the third road only this time instead of connecting to the first road drag it a little beyond. You will notice the angle slightly changes by a few pixels than if you were to connect it directly onto the first road, I believe this is why roads over long distances or even short ones do not match up perfectly.
Notice how the 4th road is drawn past the first road - this is important

If anyone can confirm or prove this is wrong I'd be interested - also I'm wondering how the method works over undulating land too :D

Hope this was useful!

mr-tom

Trophies - How To Turn Off

Postby mr-tom » 09 January 2011, 00:06

Trophies - How To Turn Off

Question

tickleonthetum wrote:Can some one tell me how you disable the trophies?

Answer:

whismerhill wrote:in the options menu
The "miscellaneous" options (after video & sound) then it's just before "Expert Mode"

mr-tom

Road Type - Changing Nationality

Postby mr-tom » 09 January 2011, 00:09

Road Type - Changing Nationality

Question:

tommyas wrote:How can i switch to different road types? (UK, German etc)

Answer:

Ghostwriter wrote:So, I try to explain, how it works:
You have to open the file "checkpoint.cxl" with a normal text editor (like notepad). You will find it in...

Code: Select all

C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011\live\offline\solo\solosaveregion**map**\auto
[** = numbers, which describe the position of your city]

You should make a copy of this file first.

In this file is the following entry for changing the road type:
<itm key = 'Roads' value = 'US' />
For countries, change the US to...
Oliver wrote:To be exact it's GER, UK, US and FR.

ohadi195 wrote:To change to default roads, change the US to DEFUALT

mr-tom

How can I connect buildings to the road?

Postby mr-tom » 23 January 2011, 22:57

Question:

Answer:

This has been written for ports, but actually works for pretty much every building.

Snacko wrote:Port to Road Connections

Ports must be connected to the City Hall by way of the Road System. However you will need fairly level terrain to make this connection, and the road may not look like it is connected to the port even when it is. You can use the Layer Bar on the right side of the screen to display the Ground Relief of the terrain to look for flat spots along the coast. Just click on the Resource tab to find Ground Relief.

There are two ways to begin building your Port:

1) Place the Port First:
You can just place the Port first, and then place the road second. Using this method it is hard to get the road to 'look' like it is connected to the Port. But it will work.

Here you can see that the Port indicates that it needs both a Road connection and also must be connected to the City Hall:

Here you can see that the Road and the Port's connectors look like they should snap together, but they don't work that way:

And this is the result. A connection that may or may not work. Either way it doesn't look very good, and the trucks are in for a bumpy ride:

But, you could make it look better by adding a side road along the back:

2) Place the Road First:
Pretend you are going to place your Port, but don't do it. Just look at the spot on the terrain where the road would need to be to make a nice connection. I look at some detail in the Terrain that I can remember.. Then, right-click to cancel placing that port. Now, place your road FIRST, and start at that spot on the terrain. Next, place your port so it's road connector is as close as you can get it to your road.

Here you can see I am finding a good spot on the Terrain to place my Road:

I have placed my Road, now the tricky part... Place that Port in the right spot:

The Road connection is much closer and looks better... But those trucks are still in for a jolt!

Either way, the goal is to connect your Port to your City Hall via roads and get that pesky icon and messages to go away. Both ways work. Just click on your port and see if that message is gone now, that was telling you to connect it to the City Hall..

mr-tom

Budget Analysis Tool - Where is it?

Postby mr-tom » 08 March 2011, 22:58

Budget Analysis Tool - Where is it?

Question:

clay111 wrote:The Cities XL 2011 manual says there is a budget analysis tool (where taxes can be raised or lowered, and you can find which of your buildings are most expensive), but I can't find it. The manual lists it after the Population analysis button, but I can't find it there, on the right side of the screen. What am I overlooking?

Answer:

snick25 wrote:Hmm... are you sure you're clicking on the right button? Here's a picture:

Is that the one you're clicking on? Because clicking that one should open the budget menu. If not, there's something seriously wrong with your game.

mr-tom

Metro Lines - Deleting Existing

Postby mr-tom » 08 March 2011, 23:01

Metro Lines - Deleting Existing

Question:

Elmori wrote:Hi all,

I have built a city with a population of about 1M and have two metro lines that I wanted to extend. I deleted the metro lines from the Public Transport Panel so that I wouldn't have to build a new station but just lay the tracks again. After waiting a while it seemed that they were not disappearing from the map so I decided to delete the stations, which made the game crash. After restarting the game it seemed that I was able to delete the stations but the tracks still appear underground making it impossible to place a new metro line. The metro stations are placed strategically at points where bus lines merge so I wouldn't like to move them. Strange thing is that if I zoom into the tracks and move the camera back the tracks follow throughout the map, when I zoom out they're back at their original spot.

Has anyone ran into the same bug of metro tracks not deleting from the map? Anybody lucky enough to have found a workaround (other than moving all the bus stops/stations/zones)?

Answers:

Elmo wrote:You can destroy the metro line by bulldozing the ground above the tracks. This removes the line from the public transport panel as well, but does not destroy the stations (except when you bulldoze them).

Elmori wrote:Wasn't successful with the item bulldoze but it worked with an area bulldoze. Had to rebuild a little but I'm happy.

Many thanks for your help and quick reply Elmo! :D

mikesp130 wrote:I had the same problem at one point. I decided to delete the buildings above the area and terraform and delete all the stations on that line and completely rebuild that too. This worked for me. Its a lot of work but is more than worth it!

mr-tom

Roundabouts - How To Use

Postby mr-tom » 08 March 2011, 23:04

Roundabouts - How To Use:

Question:

Davekyn wrote:I have tried the Youtube link and read whatever I can find.....anyone else still having issues with roundabouts?

Answer:

V4nKw15h wrote:Roundabouts do work, but they only look like they don't work. Graphically the traffic gets stuck on them, but the traffic flows across them just fine in the mathematical underlying simulation. I use them all over my city and they can really add to the look of a city.

They were added late in the development of the game, much like highway interchanges, and both suffer with the bug of 'looking' like they don't work when in fact they do.

To place a roundabout you must build the roundabout first. You can hold shift to rotate it. It doesn't snap to an existing road. At least that's how I remember it anyway. I haven't played for a while.

Once the roundabout is in place you can only attach one specific road type to it that matches the design of the roundabout. Experiment a little to find out which road it is. The correct road will snap to the junctions on the roundabout when you get it right.

Consider roundabouts as a bonus feature that was added but not fully polished. It's a little awkward to use and cars appear to get stuck on them (even if in the simulation they don't) but it's better than having no roundabouts.

mr-tom

Road Glitch - terrain covers sections of it

Postby mr-tom » 29 May 2011, 17:29

Road Glitch - terrain covers sections of it

Question:

Shockme wrote:Why do i get this problem alot when im building not on flat land its really ennoying and ugly does anybody else have this problem too?

Answer:

BonkeyDonker wrote:Just lay some grass/trees/plaza beside it and this will fix it - you can delete the same once it is fixed.
Shockme wrote:Why do i get this problem alot when im building not on flat land its really ennoying and ugly does anybody else have this problem too?

Return to “General Forum”