Control Air Pollution?

Moderator: Focus Team

Control Air Pollution?

Postby Deusdies » 31 October 2010, 23:55

One thing I really miss in Cities XL (as compared to SC4) are ordinances.

Is there any way to reduce pollution in the city? I have the industry zone separated, but now that my city has grown to 3 000 000 inhabitants, not only are the zones getting closer, but the industry zone has expanded significantly as well.

I remember the "Clean Air Act" in SC4 could reduce pollution as much as 50%. So, how do I reduce pollution in CXL 2011? I tried placing lots of parks around the industry zone but the impact was negligent.

Thanks
Deusdies

Re: Control Air Pollution?

Postby Elmo » 01 November 2010, 04:38

I don't think there is any way to reduce pollution except by installing the "no pollution mod". I despise pollution in CXL as it spreads over the entire city and lowers the satisfaction of residents and some industries (like offices and farms) dramatically which sometimes makes them bankrupt and keeps newly built zones vacant.

I strongly recommend the mod. Even though I don't enjoy using cheat - like mods, I love the no pollution mod as it fixes a big flaw in the game. You can find it in the modding index.
Elmo
Moderator ; End 2010 Award - Best User Requested Mods
Moderator ; End 2010 Award - Best User Requested Mods

Postby En3rgize » 01 November 2010, 05:38

I hated ordinances! Why? Because deep inside I didn't believe they worked! Because it's hard to see the "before" and "after" effect since they take ages to work and since in that time your population etc increases and your city spreads so it doesn't provide an accurate picture. But look, i'm sure they did work I was just saying I felt like I was just ticking a box with no end result to prove it worked :lol:

I really think Cities XL 2011 did a fantastic job in making pollution accurate. What do I mean? Well simply, I have 2 islands very close to each other seperated only by a tiny river. One island is all factory and industrial, and the other is my offices/residents etc. I had a click to show "pollution" and I noticed the pollution (which goes from green-->orange-->red depending on how polluted the sky is) was made so that where my factories are there is actually a green circle, with the bulk of pollution being away from the factories as you go further out.

I have attatched an image to show what I mean

The image is of the ozone layer, but see where Antarctica is? The purple is where my factories are (and it was green colour= low pollution) and the red and orange is where my city is (away from the factories) but pollution there was the highest.

So the developers made it more realistic and complete opposite to SC4 (where pollution was highest where the factories are, and got progressively less as you went further away). I like the new approach because pollution tends to spread due to wind further away.

I too wish we could place trees or something to reduce pollution in the game, strange why that was left out? But then again planting a tree like in SC4 shouldn't be able to reduce air pollution lol, I don't think that's scientifically possible :lol: do trees "clean" the air, or just provide oxygen :? i'm not sure.
Attachments
Pollution.gif
Pollution in Cities XL 2011 using a mpa of the ozone layer.

Pollution in the game gets progressively HIGHER as you move away from the factories. Which is great!
Pollution.gif (68.5 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
En3rgize

Postby mr-tom » 01 November 2010, 08:33

En3rgize wrote:I too wish we could place trees or something to reduce pollution in the game, strange why that was left out? But then again planting a tree like in SC4 shouldn't be able to reduce air pollution lol, I don't think that's scientifically possible :lol: do trees "clean" the air, or just provide oxygen :? i'm not sure.

Depends on what the pollution is. Obviously they're happy to op up CO2, but particulates will kill 'em.

I think there is scope for a pollution ordinance - just look at modern coal power stations - they have chimney-mounted air scrubbers which remove the sulphates and nitrates (efficient burning in the first place prevents monoxides) and as a result all that comes out is CO2. The lack of sulphates and nitrates means no acid rain, the lack of particulates means no soot and no smog. Trees can then mop up the CO2 if you build enough of them. Carbon capture at source could also be interesting.

One station, Drax goes even further, they've replaced their cooling towers with greenhouses. They produce something silly like 10% of the UK's tomatoes. Just by piping their waste heat under the floors rather than releasing it.

I remember one of the mods for 2009 gave us an air scrubber building. That's not such a crazy idea.
mr-tom

Postby toslowimpro » 01 November 2010, 17:49

I use the mod myself and I am very happy with it, one of the few ones i use. :mrgreen:
I am ToSlowImPro and I approve this message.
toslowimpro

Location: Huizen, North Holland, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milkyway, The Universe.

Return to General Forum