Saved games

Moderator: Focus Team

Saved games

Postby bureaucrat » 10 December 2010, 07:11

Where are the games saved? I can see two save folders but when I open them they're empty. Are they hidden files?

Can you delete saved games?

I just bought the game yesterday. It seems pretty cool, but I've naturally made a lot of errors in my first couple of cities, so I'm wondering if there's a way to start everything fresh again.
bureaucrat

Re: Saved games

Postby mr-tom » 10 December 2010, 09:39

If you have a look through the FAQ, there's a guide to importing cities etc, which should tell you where your cities are located, although this can vary slightly due to operating system differences.
mr-tom

Postby dragoneyes001 » 10 December 2010, 10:14

if you don't like a city you can trash them on the intro screen:

another UI will pop up asking you if your sure you want to delete and asks you to type in the name of the city (case sensitive)to confirm deletion.
dragoneyes001
End 2010 Award - Greatest Gameplay Innovation
End 2010 Award - Greatest Gameplay Innovation

Postby bitula » 10 December 2010, 11:16

bureaucrat wrote:Can you delete saved games?

They are in the saved games menu represented by a floppy disk. There is a red X for each to delete. Btw, I've lost lots of saved games by pressing enter in the filename prompt instead of clicking the save game icon. Even if I typed a new filename it would discard my game without a warning and load something else. I wonder whether this is a bug or a feature... If it is a feature it is very counter intuitive...
bitula

Postby mr-tom » 10 December 2010, 11:31

I would suggest that once your cities grow, you don't delete saved games or anything like that. There's a bug (very ill-defined) that causes corruption of saved games. I've never experienced it myself, and I think the reason I've had no trouble is because I just let the autosave do what it wants and leave the rest of the "save" functionality alone - others have said the same. If I want to delete anything, I delete an entire city using the method dragoneyes outlined.
mr-tom

Postby bureaucrat » 10 December 2010, 13:16

Thank you all for your replies.

I hope to really get into the game this weekend.
bureaucrat

Postby mr-tom » 10 December 2010, 13:19

In the gameplay FAQ, there's a "15 minute city" which is a great way to get a small, working city that you can then experiment with. Might be a good learning aid.

And once you're more comfortable with the game, there's lots of mods to explore. Globexco's unlocker v4 is especially highly recommended.

Tom.
mr-tom

Return to General Forum