zoning & laying road networks - grids vs freestyle

Moderator: Focus Team

zoning & laying road networks - grids vs freestyle

Postby Rene » 27 April 2011, 17:26

For me, coming from sim city background, im having some troubles sorta to say in CXL, because im so used to gridded city's because of that's the way sc was coded.

And now in CXL I tend to rely on grids, which makes me constantly not satisfied with zoning and end up deleting and redrawing.

Any help, nice examples, videos, turorials etc to help with making stuff CXL style?

Im now rehearsing on The Coast map, gonna build a city around 500 000 popl. before moving into Delta or Lagoon (custom) map, where target popl is 1-2 million.
A fine site xlnation.net and a big mod database xlnation.net/xlex

Check out all my Cities XL mods: Rene's Cities xl mods
Rene

Re: zoning & laying road networks - grids vs freestyle

Postby cobhris » 27 April 2011, 21:48

You don't HAVE to build nongrid cities all the time if grids are what you're comfortable with. The trick is to learn to be flexible with your grids, adapt them to the landscape of the map, and leave room for growth. Nowadays I always leave a bit of empty space between my buildings when I'm first starting off so that I can accommodate larger structures as the city grows. And don't be afraid to tear down some things and make changes. Cities are not static entities.
cobhris

Postby SivCorp » 28 April 2011, 06:05

It looks like you could use a trip to the city seminar!

I go over some grid and non-grid builds there, have a look!

(City Seminar in my Sig)

|
\/
SivCorp
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Tutorial
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Tutorial

Postby WoodMan » 30 April 2011, 12:31

Rene one thing I have done is find the village I live in in RL on google map and copy it exactly into cities XL. This is good practice (assuming you don't live in a gridded city in RL). I actually went for an exact a copy as i could manage, the road shapes, the parks, farms and even the buildings, put the doctors surgery in the right place, the shops as commercial and all the houses as residential then built the industrial estate just outside my village on the map in cities xl too, tho for this i had to "relocate" it to next to a river so its like RL. ;)

Even though i live in a non-gridded area (uk village) you will be surprised that it is actually roughly gridded in parts when you actually examine it closely :lol:
WoodMan

Postby Rene » 30 April 2011, 13:04

Great ideas. I'll soon post screenshots of my first creation with Cxl. Im thinking this is my rehearse map before I move on to a another map which I like more, and hopefully by the time get a new graphics card - so that I can grow it big. But now let's see what I can do with my current card and this easier map. And I have already broke away from the grid at some!

Rene

Postby giacdegiac » 30 April 2011, 14:53

I tend to draw something on a paper sheet and then try to realize in the game.
I'm trying to get inspiration from geometric shapes (rhomb and such) and nature shapes as well (spider web and such).
giacdegiac

Postby Rene » 30 April 2011, 14:59

I do some sketching as well, helps a lot.

Rene

Return to General Forum