Ideas for CitiesXL

Moderator: Focus Team

afteq

Re: Ideas for CitiesXL

Postby afteq » 08 October 2010, 20:57

hybridmike09 wrote:Bring drawbridges back, complete with animated gates, signal lights, and watchtower w/ workers.

Wait what.. There were initially drawbridges? Where was I when this conversation was had, I don't even remember seeing them in Beta or even City Life.
But I must say it would be rather fantastic to have LDNesque drawbridges and just new bridge designs completely, I'm sick of the same old design for every bridge. What city has the exact say bridges... really u guiz..
Winter Dragon wrote:Got an idea for sharing cities without any official online services. Basically it'd work something like this;

1. The author of the city saves their city as a special version that can only be loaded in tourist mode.
2. The author uploads their their city to web hosting (there's heaps of free ones you can use)
3. Players can then download the city into their game and import it in a new map slot. Obviously it cannot have the same name as an existing city. If the city uses any mods, the author is responsible for mentioning them.
4. The city can then be visited in tourist mode. You won't be able to edit any cities that aren't yours, but you could still load them and look around.
5. You can delete other player's cities from your map just like your own cities, using the trashcan button.

You could even reinstate avatar mode for this, but it's not neccessary. You could also trade with the city's tokens, if it has any.

You can and people do already DL other peoples' cities and play them etc etc, it's been happening since the fall of PO. Less and less however due to mods etc, but still has been done.

Winter Dragon

Postby Winter Dragon » 09 October 2010, 07:32

Anticipating someone might say that;

Yes we can do that already but there's nothing to stop other people editing your cities in their game, and then making their own city journal showing modified images of your city. That's my main concern with the present and current system. If the cities cannot be changed then it removes this issue entirely in my opinion.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 09 October 2010, 11:19

This is fascinating - I had no idea that other people's cities were available for download. I really like the idea.

Winter Dragon - I guess the trick would be not to make your CJ city available for download until your CJ was well established.

Yes, ultimately somebody could use your city to make their own CJ, but it would hopefully be obvious that it wasn't their own work (the community isn't that big) and even if they did, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... :oops:

Let's face it, if they couldn't make their own city for CJ purposes, then even once they've borrowed yours, I'm pretty confident that I know which of you would make a better job of developing it further.

Strongholder

Postby Strongholder » 09 October 2010, 16:45

How expencsive is it going to sustain public transport, because only busses in 2009 drained alot of budget from a small cities. And is something like public transport for small cities with population of 100,000 was made possible if you dont want to see alot of cars, only good planned public transport city, like in some real countries such as Bern/Swizerland, so that inhabitants of this kind of cities would chose a bus instead of making traffic until traffic became in "Red Condition".

Leitner

Postby Leitner » 09 October 2010, 23:44

I really hope they'll put an overground subway station... So it will be possible to build Suburban train line (like S-Bahn and RER).
I think could be nice also to put in the game a transportation solution like the guided bus system. It could be interesting also for the developer of the game because they'll can put inside marketing in the game, infact this type of bus are made by the french company "Trashlor" and by the Canadian/German "Bombardier Transportation"...

marsy

Postby marsy » 10 October 2010, 00:26

Hello all, though I seem to be new, I am not. I was involved in the original CitiesXL that was called....you know uh...in 2007. Oh well. I was a beta tester. Any way. I gave up when you didnt put in trains. I thought,and still think, trains should have been in the original release. All trains. Frieght, passenger, obove, below, maglev,street car,train yards. A city is NOT a city without RAIL. You guys are talented and smart, I was very dissapointed. I wasnt expecting a 'Rail Sim', but rail is what makes a village into a city into a metropolis. If you dont figure this out, you will not be a mainstream city sim. Will YOU LISTEN THIS TIME. I will buy your game If you include RAIL. I promise. I swear.

Please listen

Lance

blink471

Postby blink471 » 10 October 2010, 06:28

marsy wrote:Oh Will YOU LISTEN THIS TIME. I will buy your game If you include RAIL. I promise. I swear.

Please listen

you are getting rail in this version mate, maybe not what you wanted, but it's a good start...
I think we may get a surprise. :? If not.. other rail will be included later.. They know what we want.. :)

Leitner

Postby Leitner » 10 October 2010, 23:43

In sc4 the heart of my cities was the central station square... Hope will be the same also here, soon or late. :D

cpy

Postby cpy » 11 October 2010, 11:42

Multithreaded game engine, you made my quadcore intel cry when it only used 25% of it.
I mean this is simulation of really lot of objects, so i dont see problem why not separate city simulation into really lot of threads, i say scalable up to 16 threads for those 2x8core cpu hardcore players, im also buying new Ci7 950 soon :)

afteq

Postby afteq » 11 October 2010, 14:21

blink471 wrote:
marsy wrote:Oh Will YOU LISTEN THIS TIME. I will buy your game If you include RAIL. I promise. I swear.

Please listen

you are getting rail in this version mate, maybe not what you wanted, but it's a good start...
I think we may get a surprise. :? If not.. other rail will be included later.. They know what we want.. :)

Mate, we've got to wait until the 15th before we can buy the game off of STEAM.. the curses of living in the future!

Return to “General Forum”