The Bus Guide

Moderator: Focus Team

Quantum3

Re: The Bus Guide

Postby Quantum3 » 29 January 2012, 04:04

Hi Folks, I have 2 question about how the bus lines:

1. It's needed to drag the bus line back to the bus station (let call it "point A") using the same route used to go to point B?

If so:

2. When dragging the bus line back to the bus station (point A), it's needed placing a bus stop in each bus stop used to go from A to B?

I'm wondering about this a lot because, if I just put bus stops from point A to point B, but not from point B to point A, the passangers will only be able to step down the bus ONLY in the Bus Stop! And they will be forced to do another ride in order to get to their homes!!! It this make any sense or I'm just freaking.

Thanks for your help!!!

س :)

chkaroub

Postby chkaroub » 30 January 2012, 05:02

I have the exact same question, I will try to word it differently:

If I have a bus terminal in a residential area (A) and draw a bus line to an industrial area (B), should I select the automatic return route via the same streets (B to A) utilizing the same stops as a result OR can I return the bus via a second residential area (C) so my line goes A-B-C-A. In the first case, it seems obvious that the passengers can travel both ways between A and B. In the second option, is it a one way bus route? so a passenger from residential area C wouldn't actually be able to go directly to their job in B and would have to first travel to A then B increasing travel time and passengers living between A and B would have to go all the way though C and terminal at A to then come home? OR is the game smart enough to have busses going both ways on the loop i.e A-B-C-A and A-C-B-A?

I can't find a clear answer anywhere.

Same goes for subways (but there I am assuming the tracks run both ways), but with a bus I feel like the stop is placed in one direction which would be dumb

Thanks!

Quantum3

Postby Quantum3 » 30 January 2012, 16:34

chkaroub wrote:I have the exact same question, I will try to word it differently:

If I have a bus terminal in a residential area (A) and draw a bus line to an industrial area (B), should I select the automatic return route via the same streets (B to A) utilizing the same stops as a result OR can I return the bus via a second residential area (C) so my line goes A-B-C-A. In the first case, it seems obvious that the passengers can travel both ways between A and B. In the second option, is it a one way bus route? so a passenger from residential area C wouldn't actually be able to go directly to their job in B and would have to first travel to A then B increasing travel time and passengers living between A and B would have to go all the way though C and terminal at A to then come home? OR is the game smart enough to have busses going both ways on the loop i.e A-B-C-A and A-C-B-A?

I can't find a clear answer anywhere.

Same goes for subways (but there I am assuming the tracks run both ways), but with a bus I feel like the stop is placed in one direction which would be dumb

Thanks!

Clear answer here! :D

I figured out how the bus system works in the game!!! :D

Passangers go from A to B. A represents the bus station and B represents their jobs, for example, factories. So, the passengers only needs to go to Point B. So, when drawing the line back to point A, you must place them by using the automatic return thing by clicking on the last bus stop (not in the bus station, because that way you will end with the bus coming back using whatever route), so the game will draw automatically the return route, but of course, if the game is able to calculate the return points, because sometimes, you need to do it manually and at certain point, the game will redraw it for you and it will use the same route you did when going from A to B, placing bus stops in the same places where you have put them when going from A to B. That way, the passengers can go to their jobs and come back to their homes in the exact point were they have been carried/lifted/picked up by the bus (just like in real life).

Then you can check the congestion of the bus by using the option panel of bus traffic at the right of the screen (I have the game in spanish, because that's my first language, so I don't know the name in english) in order to check that the bus is carrying people back to point A. If green, then it's not, if yellow, then the bus is actually having people inside when coming back to point A.

Remember that you don't have to use more than 20 bus stops, otherwise, the returning route won't become available because of the limit of 40 bus stops, and that includes the returning ones as well. If you surpass that number, people will need to step out the bus far away from the point where they stepped in, walking to their homes a long amount of blocks and possibly, they won't take the bus in first place because of that.

As a tip, you will see the bus stops marked on the streets, and they looks like a saw/triangle wave (and people doing the Ave Cesar Salute xD).

My doubt right now is if the time that takes to the bus going from a bus stop to another may be a problem for the people who's waiting for the bus. Let me clarify this.

If you have drawn a long route for the bus (from A to B), it will take more time to the bus going from the first bus stop to the last one (where you still have residential people, which can be named as point A'), so the people who is in the last bus stop before getting into the factory area, have to wait to the bus longer than the people that lives near the first bus stop.

Another thing:

In the game, I can see people waiting the bus for hours till the bus arrives to that bus stop (but that may be just an aesthetically thing without any impact), so I have to experiment by placing 3 lines using the same bus stops and see what happens, but that also addresses to another question:

1. If the 3 the buses start their paths all at the same time, therefore, it has no sense placing 3 bus lines following the same route.
2. if the 3 buses start their route but interleaved (at different period of times), then it makes sense.

Going to check that out and post it here :)

Have a nice day, mate!

Ø3 :)

Quantum3

Postby Quantum3 » 31 January 2012, 22:09

I passed many minutes looking at the Bus Station, but have not seen any bus coming out from there. So point 1 and 2 have not any impact in the game (from the context we're analyzing it) and from that will follow that it has any impact how far is the last bus stop before going into the factory area in relation with the last people stepping into the bus as well...

yasinneo

Postby yasinneo » 31 March 2012, 22:40

Why this service free? It costs to the city a lot. Big cities requires more bus stops then smaller cities. We pay money for this service. ANd in real life everybody pays. And they should pay in a game. After all they are virtual, dont get poore :)

Quantum3

Postby Quantum3 » 31 March 2012, 23:12

I absolutely agree. Passengers should pay a ticket for traveling, or maybe a plan which discounts (to enforce the use of the buses), but absolutely paid by the city manager is a bit unreal.

I thought that the game was developed that way because in first world countries, the bus transportation were free :D

By the way, I don't know if I already wrote this, but I figured that it's more efficient for buses planing some kind of strategy as follows:

1. Put the residential zones in the same side of the map than where the people is going to work (this way, you minimize transit crossing from one zone to another). For example, Farms and low density dirty industries needs only low wealth residents, so it's good placing them in the same area.

2. By looking at the population wealth, you can see where each type of citizen goes to work (so you can rearrange zones if needed).

3. Place bus lines from residential zones to the jobs zones accordingly to the relation between residents and jobs.

4. Make sure that you don't use more than 20 bus stops for the line which goes to the jobs zone. That way, you ensure yourself that you will have the remaining 20 bus stops coming back for the same line to the residential zones. To do so, at the end of the trajectory you can draw the bus line all around a block and clicking in the next bust stop. That way, the game will redraw the "coming back" trajectory following the same trajectory that you did when "going" to the jobs zone.

Here is a simple graphic of what I wrote:

Hope this help, and sorry for my english, it's not my first language.

س

Tsewe

Postby Tsewe » 14 May 2013, 16:12

Helle dear players,
now I have a question that has been bothering my mind since i first tried playing Cities XL: why put the required population to 50,000 in order to unlock bus systems???

It is quite a big requirement IMO. Many cities of 10,000 have bus transportation systems. I can't see why Cities XL devs would have put such a high requirement.
Is there any mod modifying that?
Thank you!

Return to “General Forum”