The Bus Guide

Moderator: Focus Team

Stan

The Bus Guide

Postby Stan » 12 August 2010, 14:12

What is the Bus system?
The Bus system is a brand new feature that allows you to implement a bus network in your cities. You will be able to choose the itineraries of each bus line as well as the location of the terminals. To that end, a tutorial is now available (“Public Transport” >” Bus Lines”). It will help you managing this exciting feature.

How do I unlock it?
You need to have at least 50,000 citizens in your city to unlock the Bus system.

How does the Bus system work?
Once you’ve reached 50,000 citizens, the Bus system will unlock in your construction menu.

You can choose between 3 buildings:

The Bus Company
The Great Bus Terminus
The Small Bus Terminus
The most important one is the Bus Company by which you can manage the entire bus network. You need to place it first in order to unlock the terminals.

You can build two kinds of terminals: with the Great Bus Terminus you will have the ability to place up to 12 bus lines…

… and with the Small Bus Terminus, up to 3 lines.

Terminals are also public services: you don’t need to place them next to roads with high “Freight” and “Passengers” rates.

The amount of terminals you can place is unlimited but you can only place 40 stops per bus line.

Be careful!
- Placing too many stops can increase the travel time and force people to use their car instead.
- If you delete a terminal, all the connected lines will be deleted as well.
- You cannot create bus stops on farms roads.

How much does the Bus system cost?
The Bus Company costs 15,000 credits (monthly cost of 5000C). The Great Bus Terminus costs also 15,000C and the Small one 6000C.

The terminals’ monthly cost depends on the amount of bus lines.

For the workforce, you need Qualified Workers and Executives for the Bus Company and only Qualified Workers for the terminals.

NB: the longer the bus line is, the higher the upkeep costs are.

What is the effect of the Bus system?
The Bus system will help you to get rid of traffic issues. Your citizens will have the possibility to use public services instead of their cars to move around the city or to go to work. The more stops you place, the more people can use the line.

As a matter of fact, both terminals and bus stops must be placed strategically. Check the blue zone appearing around the terminal / stops you place: it shows you all the buildings that are served by the line.

The different types of citizens don’t consider the bus the same way. For instance, Unqualified Workers don’t mind taking the bus while Elites will do it only if they have no other choice.
In a nutshell, a city with an efficient bus network will less suffer from traffic and satisfaction issues.

How can I manage my bus lines?

We have implemented new layers so that you can manage your bus routes efficiently. You can find these layers in the menu on the right side of the screen.

The “Bus Lines” layer displays all the lines and stops that you have built in your city.

The “Bus Traffic” layer shows you the state of your bus lines’ traffic. The color system is the same as the one used for the roads (green indicating a fluent traffic, yellow a bit of congestion and red a traffic jam).

You can also manage your bus system by clicking on any given terminus. The following information window will appear:

As you can see, it gives you a lot of information such as the number of stops and the upkeep cost of each line.

Notice that in the last section (“Bus lines management”) there is a link to the Public Transport Panel (you can access this panel also by using the icon in the upper-screen menu > Image ).

The most important information is the “Average efficiency” of your bus network. You will also find a list of all the bus lines of your city, number by number, with the possibility to delete them ( Image ).

Finally, you can modify the type of bus you want to use for each line.

They represent three different transportation capacities: a minibus costs less and hosts a small amount of people, whereas a double-decker costs much more but can host more citizens. To select one specific bus, simply click on it.

How do I create a new bus line?

Go to the construction menu, click on the terminus and place it. You can create your first bus line straight after placing the terminal.

If you wish to create another line later, you will need to go back to the construction menu and click on the terminus’ icon again. Then click on the terminus already placed and start placing the stops for your new line.

jscrgaming

Re: The Bus Guide

Postby jscrgaming » 12 August 2010, 22:53

Very Good Stan :D But I think many ppl know how it works ;)
Just another Cities XL Player, Playing Cities XL and updating his City Journal

Philemon

Postby Philemon » 13 August 2010, 11:57

Yeah!
How about "Our Subway Guide"?

that would be awesome! :D
Die Stadt Markusburg und ihr U-Bahnnetz: http://forum.citiesxl.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1508

carebearcare

Postby carebearcare » 13 August 2010, 14:30

Thanks so much pretty new at this game so thanks again for the info :D

Mechalic

Re: The Bus Guide (ATT Developer)

Postby Mechalic » 15 August 2010, 05:13

The developers say that this is a city simulation game not a transport simulation game, well I am sorry, but your wrong, we are not wrong in what we are saying.

To run an efficiant city in real life requires a complex transportation network, which requires various modes of transport that we can design to run the city in an efficiant way.

If the developers actually looked to real life cities, they would see complex tram networks, above ground rail networks, subways, and as you mentioned (elevated railways) which are only used in just a handful of cities in the world compared to hundreds of cities that use tram networks. I really dont see how elevated rail trumps light rai/trams, it just doesnt and is rarely seen in any city in the world except for NYC, Chicago, Bangkok and a few more.

Do the delelopers realise that thoughout the computer gaming world, only 1 game has ever been released with actual tram networks, which was the game Traffic Giant back in 2001, no other game has done it since, except for mods in SC4. Which i dont personally understand, because cities are moving towards renewable, clean traffic reducing forms of transport, yet you promote the use of busses, which statistically everyone knows and has been proven time and time again in cities the world over, only contributes to traffic chaos, pollution and congestion.

Get real seriously, and get some realistic transport, such as in realistic cities.

bmwracer67

Re: The Bus Guide (ATT Developer)

Postby bmwracer67 » 29 August 2010, 22:37

Mechalic wrote:yet you promote the use of busses, which statistically everyone knows and has been proven time and time again in cities the world over, only contributes to traffic chaos, pollution and congestion. [/b]

Umm...not true. Buses do relieve traffic congestion and pollution. They transport people at a much higher density than cars. Think of how many cars take up the space of a bus. Not many. Now think how much space would be taken up if all(or even if half) of the people in the bus were driving their own cars.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 30 August 2010, 00:31

I think we have something of a communication problem here.

(1) A modern biofuel double decker bus fully loaded would obviously be a more environmentally friendly alternative to 70ish 4x4s or MPVs and undoubtedly would reduce congestion.

But it really isn't that simple. Because most journeys take place at rush hour (the clue is in the name), there is nowhere near enough capacity at this time and then the vehicles are empty for the rest of the day. Bus drivers don't want to work for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening. And not many buses are new and efficient - most are clunkers.

Likewise, many people drive fuel efficient cars.

Trains in reality are little better. The tracks generally have less capacity and the same problem of rush hour volumes exists. That can be coupled with inflexible routes (kind of hard to go somewhere that doesn't have rails). Likewise trams - I may be a little ignorant here as my city doesn't have them, but it's difficult to see how a bus that runs on rails offers significantly more than a bus that doesn't.

Likewise the argument of electric trains / trams / buses is nonsense as the electricity still has to come from somewhere and when that's a coal fired power station and more than 90% of electricity is lost in transmission, you hardly have a clean alternative.

(2) Actually, even that may be too charitable. Most of the buses in my city are empty even at rush hour. Why? Because they are slow, don't start from near home, don't finish near your destination, you might have to change, there's also waiting time and worst of all, travelling on them costs about twice what running a car would.

And since they drive around all day empty, rather than being the clean, congestion reducing alternative, they are actually hampering traffic flow and nobody can claim that a double decker bus with 3 passengers on it is better than a little cars.

But that's just my city. Oh, and the buses are hideously unsafe here.

In truth, the reality will lie somewhere between scenarios 1 and 2. To be completely honest, I don't think we really currently have a solution.

However none of this is really relevant to CXL. What we have in game is a mechanism which allows us to reduce traffic, at a cost. We can argue about whether it should be under ground, above ground, personal jetpacks or whatever the heck idea people can come up with, but it's actually a bit irrelevant because (1) we will never agree and (2) forget that it's a bus and just look at it as a mechanism to reduce traffic on our CXL streets.

bmwracer67

Postby bmwracer67 » 30 August 2010, 07:55

mr-tom wrote:I think we have something of a communication problem here.

(1) A modern biofuel double decker bus fully loaded would obviously be a more environmentally friendly alternative to 70ish 4x4s or MPVs and undoubtedly would reduce congestion.

But it really isn't that simple. Because most journeys take place at rush hour (the clue is in the name), there is nowhere near enough capacity at this time and then the vehicles are empty for the rest of the day. Bus drivers don't want to work for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening. And not many buses are new and efficient - most are clunkers.

Likewise, many people drive fuel efficient cars.

Trains in reality are little better. The tracks generally have less capacity and the same problem of rush hour volumes exists. That can be coupled with inflexible routes (kind of hard to go somewhere that doesn't have rails). Likewise trams - I may be a little ignorant here as my city doesn't have them, but it's difficult to see how a bus that runs on rails offers significantly more than a bus that doesn't.

Likewise the argument of electric trains / trams / buses is nonsense as the electricity still has to come from somewhere and when that's a coal fired power station and more than 90% of electricity is lost in transmission, you hardly have a clean alternative.

(2) Actually, even that may be too charitable. Most of the buses in my city are empty even at rush hour. Why? Because they are slow, don't start from near home, don't finish near your destination, you might have to change, there's also waiting time and worst of all, travelling on them costs about twice what running a car would.

And since they drive around all day empty, rather than being the clean, congestion reducing alternative, they are actually hampering traffic flow and nobody can claim that a double decker bus with 3 passengers on it is better than a little cars.

In truth, the reality will lie somewhere between scenarios 1 and 2. To be completely honest, I don't think we really currently have a solution.

However none of this is really relevant to CXL. What we have in game is a mechanism which allows us to reduce traffic, at a cost. We can argue about whether it should be under ground, above ground, personal jetpacks or whatever the heck idea people can come up with, but it's actually a bit irrelevant because (1) we will never agree and (2) forget that it's a bus and just look at it as a mechanism to reduce traffic on our CXL streets.

I agree totally. Correct stuff. The efficiency of the buses is mostly about 1)how full are they and 2)if they are clean burners or heavy smog polluters. In my city the buses are almost always at least half full and during rush hours at least 3/4 full, generally. Sometimes absolutely full. They don't burn biogas or stuff like that as in Sweden, though, but they are not too bad polluters too in my city. And people generally in my city like 4x4-s and powerful old cars so cars pollute much. With this scenario(for example in my city) buses do have a positive effect on congestion and pollution.

But yes as we see this depends all on the situation. If buses are quite empty, they do no good(even bad).

Yes too true about trams, this is what some people forget when saying that they emit zero pollution. As you also said this is so wrong. This has, however some truth in it. The pollution gets emitted further away from the city so the people living in the city don't suffer from that. And also, if wind, solar, hydro or nuclear power is used to generate electricity, then you could say trams don't pollute. But if oil and coal plants are used, electric transit(electric cars, trams, electric trains) get an awful lot more inefficent.

I also agree on the last part of your post. Anyway, we do share many views.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 30 August 2010, 10:28

I must also confess to being very cynical about green electricity. In the UK, you can pay to have green electricity delivered to your house, but it is total nonsense.

All mainstream power output goes into the national grid and is consumed by being taken from the grid. Your electricity will be coming from your closest station and no amount of green labels will change that unless they build a second grid which only supplies green power, but they can't do that because of cost and environmental impact - building a second grid would cost the planet an enormous amount of resources for no clear gain.

What's more, if you live a long way from e.g. your wind power farm, the power drop from there to you would be enormous compared to that from your local polluting plant, so the best thing you can do is to take the fossil fuel.

In reality, unless a very significant portion of the nation's power comes from green sources, nobody can really claim to have green electricity no matter what the power company says they are sending. It's the same electrons coming down the wire either way.

And by the way, I do consider nuclear to be a green source. ;)

KillerMarv

Postby KillerMarv » 30 August 2010, 10:32

mr-tom wrote:(2) Actually, even that may be too charitable. Most of the buses in my city are empty even at rush hour. Why? Because they are slow, don't start from near home, don't finish near your destination, you might have to change, there's also waiting time and worst of all, travelling on them costs about twice what running a car would.

You know, this is almost exactly like in my city, and I say almost because buses here are full all the time, including outside of rush hour, and this is not due to people considering it a cheap means of transport, but because the city's planning is poorly done, and people must always reach certain key destinations that are exactly on the opposite side of the city... :D

Oh hell... buses would be sweet in this game, given that you would be able to actually mod the number of stations on a route and could name stations... :D

Return to “General Forum”