The Bus Guide

Moderator: Focus Team

mr-tom

Re: The Bus Guide

Postby mr-tom » 30 August 2010, 10:38

I have a theory about transport and it's one of my pet frustrations with CXL.

I have always thought that it is crazy that person 1 lives in city A and travels to city B to do their job, whilst person 2 lives in city B and passes person 1 whilst travelling to city A to do the exact same job.

A lot of that is because people can't afford to live near to where they work, but even more is due to poor urban planning.

I tried very hard indeed in my cities to build housing and work simultaneously, but still had this situation occurring, which is highly frustrating as it generates unnecessary traffic.

This should be avoidable in real life and in the game.

Tom.

P.S. I've recently got a new job, which turns my 3.5 hours travel each day into 15 minutes each way.

bmwracer67

Postby bmwracer67 » 30 August 2010, 20:07

It all depends on the type and quantity of green electricity.

This is just my opinion:
Wind power is fairly pointless due to its high price and low stability(needs reserve power plants in case wind stops). Solar power is also expensive and needs reserve plants. No big point in here too, though in small quantities can be done.
Hydro power is really one of the best sources of enviornmentally friendly energy, can give very much energy. For example Norway gets 99% of its electricity from hydro power plants. Or think of the huge super hydro plants in China. Massive amounts of energy. The bad thing is that hydro plants can ruin the ecosystem of the river.
Nuclear power(yes i consider it very green) is even better though. Much energy at a reasonable price. Fears of possible next Chernobyl are quite rubbish as today's nuclear plants are very very much safer than the old and badly operated plant in Chernobyl made of bad quality russian technology.

Actually i think the world has to move to nuclear technology anyway and the sooner the better as fossil fuels are not infinite. There may be them for 30 years, maybe 50 years, maybe 100 years but not for much longer.

A little bit off-topic it was :S

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 30 August 2010, 20:58

bmwracer67 wrote:It all depends on the type and quantity of green electricity.

This is just my opinion:
Wind power is fairly pointless due to its high price and low stability(needs reserve power plants in case wind stops). Solar power is also expensive and needs reserve plants. No big point in here too, though in small quantities can be done.
Hydro power is really one of the best sources of enviornmentally friendly energy, can give very much energy. For example Norway gets 99% of its electricity from hydro power plants. Or think of the huge super hydro plants in China. Massive amounts of energy. The bad thing is that hydro plants can ruin the ecosystem of the river.
Nuclear power(yes i consider it very green) is even better though. Much energy at a reasonable price. Fears of possible next Chernobyl are quite rubbish as today's nuclear plants are very very much safer than the old and badly operated plant in Chernobyl made of bad quality russian technology.

Actually i think the world has to move to nuclear technology anyway and the sooner the better as fossil fuels are not infinite. There may be them for 30 years, maybe 50 years, maybe 100 years but not for much longer.

A little bit off-topic it was :S

Agreed.

Hydro also depends on having a good source of water high up. Norway is one of the few countries where it could work.

Solar and wind also use significant resources and nasty processes in their production. Some of the exotic materials used are in short supply / the money fuels wars in nasty places, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of renewables, but I live in a country which isn't sunny and where the wind is very unreliable. It's nukes or fossils.

Yes, very off topic now. If we can get some mods, it might be worth moving this to another thread.

KillerMarv

Postby KillerMarv » 31 August 2010, 10:57

Actually, I think nuclear fission will soon reach its match. I wish to see the real nuclear power brought to life: nuclear fusion. Now, that would be the most efficient and environmentally friendly kind of power the world can offer, and there is enough hydrogen for it to operate for billions of years. Wait, we're talking about power in the bus guide... :lol:

To also be on topic, I wanted to ask... Is there any chance that the current bus system implemented in 2009 will be improved in 2011? I wanted to see a way to create transfer nodes (you know, those very important stops in which bus lines can link with a major subway station and passengers can be transferred). Just a thought...

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 31 August 2010, 23:54

Heh.

Off topic first (got my priorities in the wrong order).

Fusion is still a long way off. I think the French are furthest along with a new experimental plant to be completed in 2020ish, but that is just for one brief experiment and projections are 2040-2050.

Had a very long (and confusing) read of it on that greatest of sources, wikipedia not so long ago.

Bus lines - very much hoping that it will be improved. At present, I'm using the bus terminals as interchange points, but no idea whether that's optimal.

bfreeman0

Postby bfreeman0 » 21 September 2010, 14:01

Just reinstalling citiesxl, cant wait to play it again.
In England they are building many many wind farms, and I don't see why. Yes its green but it produces limited power and they are pretty damn ugly.
Now nucke fission is currently the only answer, it provides as much energy as the sun does but is closer to home. Now the only problem with that is that if there is a malfunction, then we are all screwed. But I believe it can be done eventually

City Builder

Postby City Builder » 11 October 2010, 13:29

Thanks Stan,

I am one that didn't know how it worked and only now got my first city to 50k (since the bus was introduced into the game) and was wondering how it worked, so I see your instructions and sure enough, made it easier to do the bus in my city.

And to contribute just a little to the converstation about busses in the city.

Where I live, we have the 'sun' bus, it is a clean fuel (cleaner anyway) burning bus. It helps the poor and elderly get from one city to the next to go to work, or shopping etc. I have only ridden the bus once or twice when my truck was in the shop, and I must say that at the time that I rode it, the bus was standing room only. I can only imagine if every person riding that bus had cars out on the streets just how much more congested the streets would be. There are about 6 bus's that run the route that I was on, and every time that I see them now when I'm driving my truck, I see that they are full of people almost all during the day.

They can indeed make a huge impact on the reduction of traffic in a city.

That isn't in any way meant to suggest that I don't want to see EL trains, trams, and other forms of mass transit in my cities eventually, I certainly would, as it just lends a certain flavor to a large city to see trams like in San Francisco running around, or the Etrains in NYC etc. But please, do it right, implement it right and all will be happy one day.

Wind farms: Once again where I live they have wind farms, massive windmills dot the landscape in the windy pass along highway 10 in the deserts of S. California. I can't be 100% certain, though I seem to remember reading that the power created goes to the city, and in this case the city does not provide the electricity to the homes, that is covered by SCE. However when I am flying over our city at night on my way to the O.C. I see how many lights the city must maintain on the streets and now I understand why they put their own wind farms to generate the power for them and to sell power to the SCE for when they are not using it all. I wish I had the exact numbers, as I remember reading how many homes it could supply even though the city does not supply the homes in the city with any of the power.

Personally, I've never found them to be an eyesore at all, I find them rather interesting looking along the tops of the hills and in the plains where there are the most of them. I would not want them in my own backyard view, however where they are, there are no backyard views so nobody has to see them except when driving on hwy 10 and passing them by.

And it's my guess that the 'noise pollution' that the windmills make in Cities XL are purely as a game mechanic because I have stopped to take a closer look of the windmills and photograph them for a project I was doing and they are nearly silent, the blades move seemingly so slow that you don't hear them at all. With the way the game deals with them, I would have half expected that they would be roaring jet engine noise makers, but indeed the ones near where I live are not. They are almost silent. There is No woosh, woosh sound from the blades moving around, there is no sound at all that I can hear over the traffic flow on the hwy running by them.
All posts on this forum from me are mine, and do NOT represent Focus Home Interactive unless stated otherwise.
EX-Moderator of Cities XL forums

WHEN YOU ARE TIRED OF GAMES OF DESTRUCTION - Visit CITY BUILDER GAMES FOR GAMES OF CONSTRUCTION.

City Builder

Postby City Builder » 12 October 2010, 10:33

Ok, I seem to have come up with a problem placing a line.

It goes smoothly until the return trip, on the return trip I am running the bus route down the one way avenue, and when I want to make a left turn off the avenue to head back to the bus depot, the bus route will not allow me to choose what road I want it to travel down, it keeps automatically selecting some other road that is nearby.

It seems that the only way to make it select the road that I want is to build a bus stop at the corner of the road and the avenue, but a bus stop at this location does not serve any buildings, so it would simply be a waste of my cities income if it can't serve any buildings there. Granted it's a small amount but still for a minimalist builder such as myself, waste not, want not.

ist there a way to force der bus to take a certain straße?
All posts on this forum from me are mine, and do NOT represent Focus Home Interactive unless stated otherwise.
EX-Moderator of Cities XL forums

WHEN YOU ARE TIRED OF GAMES OF DESTRUCTION - Visit CITY BUILDER GAMES FOR GAMES OF CONSTRUCTION.

renFR

Postby renFR » 16 October 2010, 14:01

Thanks for this guide. But I still has some questions :
- Is it possible to edit a bus line (like adding more stops)? If it is, how?
- Every bus line must come from the terminal and then come back there, I want my citizens to be able to travel on both directions, do I need to create 2 stops at each station or just one is needed and the bus will stop there?
Thank you.

blink471

Postby blink471 » 17 October 2010, 00:15

renFR wrote:Thanks for this guide. But I still has some questions :
- Is it possible to edit a bus line (like adding more stops)? If it is, how?
- Every bus line must come from the terminal and then come back there, I want my citizens to be able to travel on both directions, do I need to create 2 stops at each station or just one is needed and the bus will stop there?

By clicking again on your last stop on your line as you build it, it automatically calculates the return trip.
No need for two stops at the one spot..
As for editing bus lines that are built, I'm not sure.

Return to “General Forum”