Traffic Avoidance

Moderator: Focus Team

City Builder

Re: Traffic Avoidance

Postby City Builder » 11 October 2010, 16:54

Then I'm afraid the traffic in the game is seriously bugged.

In my city the traffic will NOT take the avenue that is left empty of traffic and goes to the same place, it will only take the first avenue which is full of traffic. The second avenue is less than a quarter inch away from the first yet they would rather take the first avenue and add to the traffic problems.

Obviously between my cities and your's we have a discrepency, why would that be?
All posts on this forum from me are mine, and do NOT represent Focus Home Interactive unless stated otherwise.
EX-Moderator of Cities XL forums

WHEN YOU ARE TIRED OF GAMES OF DESTRUCTION - Visit CITY BUILDER GAMES FOR GAMES OF CONSTRUCTION.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 11 October 2010, 17:52

I reckon we need to upload a saved game or two to play with.

Problem is we can't do that here...

City Builder

Postby City Builder » 11 October 2010, 18:07

I don't know what files are necessary to make our city work in somebody elses game, nor what size the files are. I know that my own forum has some limits from php that limit how large an upload can be, but I'm willing to make a forum area available for people to upload their cities (and only their cities, no illegal stuff) for people to check out if there are not any other options.

However, if somebody puts together a list of what files are necessary to share the city, we could just as easily use a place like megauploads or any of the other free file hosting sites to do it. Please just avoid using rapidshare as non members have that dreaded limit on how much they can download in any one particular amount of time and or that 'you are not a paying subscriber, therefore you must wait x minutes to download this file' stuff.

Of course then we get into the issues again of mods and some users having them or not havng them and it causing the saved game to cause Cities XL to crash. Kind of a pitty the game wasn't designed with mods more in mind and where it could just disable thos items placed in the game if the mods are not present. Anyway, there are alternatives if somebody knows all of the files that need to be sent across to get a city to work in another players game, but just don't want anything that would mess up the cities that I've already got in the game. I suppose backing up all would be a viable option though.

With Cities XL 2011 just around the corner though, maybe we should simply discuss it and wait for 2011 to be released before we start sharing cities to see what's going on, in case anything's been changed and not documented as a new feature and or fix. I do know a lot of development firms that don't tell all that they have fixed in patches for some reason keepign some of them silent until release. Maybe we will be lucky with Focus and they have done more than has been written on the site and or discussed in the beta thread. :roll:

I hate saying that in the last paragraph, as many people get their hopes up that there will be some new ground shaking new features in the game when their isn't. It will likely play very similar if not exactly as 2009 does, so nobody please hold your breath in hopes of some ground shaking new features that are not likely to come in this first itteration of the game. I don't want to see anybody turn green over it. :mrgreen:
All posts on this forum from me are mine, and do NOT represent Focus Home Interactive unless stated otherwise.

WHEN YOU ARE TIRED OF GAMES OF DESTRUCTION - Visit CITY BUILDER GAMES FOR GAMES OF CONSTRUCTION.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 11 October 2010, 18:34

You're probably right. Waiting will make quite a bit of sense.

The save games folder contains the following:
cities.cxl (think this is the main index, had to delete it once after corruption and it then rebuilt itself, albeit messily)
contractlist.cxl (your trade deals, annoying that it's central as this will make sharing cities quite awkward without the economy going through the floor)
solosaveregion1map2.aaa where 1 and 2 are numbers that vary and aaa is the file extension - one is: bak (backup I imagine), dds or sol (imagine one is the map and the other the city. Guess sol is the city.

Before we share anything, we ought to get a better idea of how this works any way. I know some guys have been sharing cities for a while, so hopefully one of them might be able to shed some light and correct my mistakes. ;)

Winter Dragon

Postby Winter Dragon » 11 October 2010, 19:17

I'm sure it should work as Oliver says, but for some reason some of my traffic just refuses to follow common sense. The orange dash lines are the way they should be going in my opinion:

Why doesn't this guy just drive around the edge? He'd only pass through 8 intersections instead of 20. (Edit, I miscounted a couple. Fixed now)

This one didn't need to drive all the way west before going across the southern bridge. The SouthEast bridge is right next to their house.

And what about this joker, he's gonna be stuck in traffic all day! :lol:

I'm sure too much wine has been consumed. Again they take the longer way when there's a bridge much closer and a straight line to the center.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 11 October 2010, 19:22

I'll confess, it has really wound me up with previous cities. Once I built a highway tunnel right under the centre of the city and nobody used it.

Klausio

Postby Klausio » 12 October 2010, 21:13

maybe they are afraid off the dark?

but it is a normal road connection so it should work.

City Builder

Postby City Builder » 12 October 2010, 22:49

mr-tom wrote:I'll confess, it has really wound me up with previous cities. Once I built a highway tunnel right under the centre of the city and nobody used it.

I've been thinking about doing that in one of my cities, figuring that between the underground tunnel and the above ground avenues and roads, that it would alleviate the traffic, but I guess other than for eye candy, I'd really not have a reason for it now. Well, to reduce the way too many millions of credits would be a good reason too.

Defacto

Postby Defacto » 15 October 2010, 16:40

City Builder wrote:
TheNextGeneration wrote::D I find traffic to be fun and it adds to the realism of city life

Could you maybe elaborate on how the traffic in CXL adds to the realism of city life, And maybe elaborate on what it is that you find to be fun about the traffic system? I find many things about the traffic simulator to be the opposite of realism but am definitely open to hearing what it is that is realistic and fun as I've likely overlooked something.

I do realize that to properly simulate real life traffic (and thus the drivers of the vehicles) would be near impossible feat to accomplish. Why? Because as humans we all have different ways of thinking, different preferences of how we accomplish the same things. While Person A might take the George Town bridge to get to Point B because he likes to go 65 miles per hour, and believes that doing so will save him 5 minutes, Person B might take the overland expressway and pay 2.00 toll because he thinks that the less traffic on the toll road will not only save him 2 minutes but provide him a more beautiful view on the journey, etc. To try to simulate real people's way of traffic patterning I think is an impossible feat.

However... I do believe it's possible that they can add to the AI so that they think first and think that if I take that road over there that has only 2 cars that pass on it per hour, I will be at my destination in far less time than if I get on the avenue with 60 other cars travelling across it ever hour. Or to take the side streets as Tom mentioned they don't do now.

I do agree with you TNG, that it can be fun to try to manipulate the traffic patterns by building more roads, or adjusting existing roads, but when the game won't use them, then it becomes (as we say in the CityBuilderGames.com forums) a form of 'Funstration' (means, frustrating although it can be fun sometimes) to the player.

I would so love to see a city simulation that actually has smart cars (automata) that takes into account more than the direct distance between points A and B. That to me would add a total new level of traffic realism.

I'm open to listening to other players and what they are finding fun about the traffic simulation, as after reading about 12 pages from the 'Ideas for Cities XL' thread found on this forum, it makes me realize that many people play differently and want different things to make the game more fun to them, so if people have suggestions on what specifically they find fun in the traffic simulator I would love to hear it, maybe I am overlooking something really simple that might be a great joy to use.

In my opinion, the Traffic Simulator (I assume there is a traffic simulator) used in Cities XL should really be high on the priorities list of what to enhance in Cities XL if Focus Home Interactive does any expansions and or more sequels for CXL (i.e. Cities XL: 2011: Traffic Dillemas, or Cities XL 2012 etc.)

At the bare minimum, traffic simulator should understand that both lanes on one side of the avenues are considered going the same direction and should both go at the same time when it's there turn, this is the most realism killing aspect of the simulation to me. Heck, I could probably live with the fact that traffic doesn't use alternative routes that would get the vehicle to their destination in a shorter amount of time, as that's what is lacking in every other City Building (modern) game that I can think of, but having the left lane of the east bound traffic move, and the right lane of the east bound traffic stay at the light is a real 'realism' killer to me. Again, would love to hear other things in the game that make it more fun and more realistic that I am likely just overlooking.

So, TNG, (and anybody else that feels it's fun and adds to the realism of city life in CXL) what is it specifically that you find fun about the traffic AND what do you find about the traffic simulator in CXL 09 that makes the game more realistic to you?

//Oh and my apologies to everybody's eyes. I have been accused by many and do realize that I am far too verbose in my writing at times. I just hardly ever can only put down in one or two sentances what it is that I am thinking. My apologies for any walls of text that I might or already have written.

You din't need to simulate every person.

In sim city 4, when a new res-building was built, depending on the wealth, and on randomness, the people liked different transport-ways.

Low-wealths often prefer taking the mass transit, Med-Wealth often prefers the fastest way, but some prefer mass transit or cars, and it's almost impossible to make rich people take mass transit in larger scale, but it helps if it is faster than cars.

This leads to some variation, but the initial problem is still there.

Laxlux

Postby Laxlux » 17 October 2010, 17:47

hello citiesXLjunkies :)

sorry for my bad english, just learnd a bit in school.

i found that topic today and just wanted to try somthing. My question was, why do the peeps don't use new constructed roads which makes their way to work much shorter.
First i checked that there is no company offering jobs and no employee which has no job. now i build up a new (shorter) road and waited a while. nothing happens!
traffictest1.jpg
traffictest1.jpg (196.62 KiB) Viewed 3926 times

then i destroyed the leader employees house and build an new one. after a few seconds the qualified employees changed their way to work and a new one got the leadership of this company but he tooks the old route. Another few seconds and the one of the old (rebuilt) house got the leadership back an *taaadaaaa* he took the new route.

traffictest2.jpg
traffictest2.jpg (202.43 KiB) Viewed 3926 times

maybe the traffic or the traffic routs are only refreshed after shuffling the jobs. but maybe the peeps in citiesXL are just dump :)

hope you try this at home

Greetings Laxlux

Return to “General Forum”