Traffic Avoidance

Moderator: Focus Team

mr-tom

Re: Traffic Avoidance

Postby mr-tom » 17 October 2010, 18:19

Oh dear.

I guess demolishing a section of the old road might work just as well, but yes, that looks a bit lame.

Oliver

Postby Oliver » 18 October 2010, 16:32

Sorry that I am answering so late. Some of you asked how to exchange cities.
On CXS english section a very good tutorial was posted:

http://www.citiesxs.net/forum/index.php ... 239.0.html

I will make some screens to show you, why I think that my citizens always take the fastest route.

@CB: Would be great if you could post a traffic overview too. So I maybe could understand this nonsense routes of your citizens. :?
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 18 October 2010, 18:47

I'll add that tutorial to the guide link thread.

Nicho

Postby Nicho » 23 November 2010, 19:39

The commuters in cities are beyond stupid, they will almost always use the congested road because it shorter.

Only two ways i've figured out how to "beat" traffic to a degree and its not perfect.

First is to start your city and money cheat your way to a pre-citizens highway program. Lay highways and expressways like you would lay small and large avenue's. Only link to highways/expressways once every few miles.

If you dont want to cheat the only other thing ive noticed which improves traffic (as one way systems are retarded) is to make a new nabourhood on the opposite side of the traffic problem. So if you have a community of housing and a large avenue going north to the industrial zone then make another housing area to the north of the industrial zone. Residents will move from the south housing to the north housing and will temp reduce traffic in that section. I wish i could make all my citizens cycle to work save me lots of issues :)

THEJESTR

Postby THEJESTR » 13 December 2010, 23:37

i've just given up and built by roads as eye candy :P

for all i know focus arn't doing anything about it and it cant be modded xD

so iv'e just learnt to grin and bear it and pretend the cars are using the other roads :P hehe

if you saw my old CJ with all my highways i built you can understand how fustrated i get when nothing is used barely and then the traffic all cloggs up in random places were the traffic isnt actually meant to go xD

but would be real nice if they could sort this out ^^

foxhole

Postby foxhole » 27 January 2011, 04:21

In the pak files there are entries for citizen travel concerning many aspects. Things like: look for new job(could help keep citizens locked to jobs or area's), how often they look, how many routes to look for, when to move from one house to another, how far they will travel, which mode of transportation is liked more(Ithink these values were identical for each class). Many different aspects.
Some of these I've messed with. There are also included entries labeled cheats and others say they affect cpu performance. The outcomes are pretty cool, others are hard to notice or perhaps require other files to be edited to work. I am no expert.

The road files are also loaded with cool things. Many deal with road speeds, congestion loads... One entry caught my eye was the bicycle entry, which had some crazy speed values set to it, yet I have never seen a bike of any type.

I have played around with these and edited many to be more realistic to the road system here. Such as freight/bus traffic will go the same speed as regular traffic, speed values raised slightly on lower roads(we do not have rural roads tagged 32km/h), and high speed lowered(we do not have 130km/h roads).

But there are many other things that do not make sense to me, like how roads and such are based on size, but around here they get their name by the orientation to north-south, east-west and then use really clever names to cover up their stupidity. Like a 6 lane street can now be named after a politician or celebrity(befitting) or they use other labels like Way, Drive or ...

Personally I would like to see the building actually have a rear and front entrance or a way to tag perhaps. This way freight traffic would have access only to the rear of the building, and citizens only to the front. Separating traffic flow from freight and citizen when accessing the business area's(districts?), since it seems very odd to have freight trucks (un)loading onto a main road. Having to place huge roads to accommodate both traffic loads is pretty one dimensional, while your supposed to maintain traffic flow on a freight and civilian level(if you have a light green road, click on in and then select car traffic or pedestrian and you will see it might actually be under a extreme heavy load but the main traffic screen says traffic is flowing freely, bug?)

Return to “General Forum”