Activation key invalid or already in use

Moderator: Focus Team

mr-tom

Re: Activation key invalid or already in use

Postby mr-tom » 10 March 2011, 23:59

Give it a go any way?

Let us know if it works! If not, we'll try to find some alternatives.

papekk

Postby papekk » 24 May 2011, 13:11

Hi,

I ordered from Amazon. Just got it with a key on the inside of the box which was refused.

I was asked for the 'key' on the back of the user's manual which was not included.

I sent an email to the support than I read this post... :(

Papekk

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 24 May 2011, 17:21

On Amazon, did you buy the item new or used?

aegozzi65

Postby aegozzi65 » 18 June 2011, 17:03

Hello, I purchased the game back in 2009, but had a crappy computer so stopped playing. I have now purchased a new computer recently installed the game again. I also get the message that the registration key has already been used. I've emailed customer support, but like others have not yet heard back. Hope to hear back from someone soon.

Morbo41

Postby Morbo41 » 24 June 2011, 22:52

Hello,
I am from Canada. Last week I purchased this game new from a retailer. I installed the game, and got to the screen which asked for my Serial Number. The package referred to a serial number in the manual, but there was no manual included. There was a code on the inside of the box, so I used that, but it didn't work. And now I can't play the game.

The retailer will not accept returns, so I'm stuck with this game that won't work. Any advice? I tried email tech support last week shortly after I bought it, but there has been no response. I am not happy.

Sark Natron

Postby Sark Natron » 30 June 2011, 23:17

Well the gentleman that started this thread is a much more patient man than I am. I too got this same "Activation Key Invalid or already in Use" error message when having to register the game. I bought the digital copy from WIldTangent/HP games website....

This is straight highway robbery, and the company developing this game should lose their business license and barred from doing any further business. A complete fraud, from what I've read on their support forums the past hour....

For one, the fact I wasnt given instructions by WIld Tangent / HP Games as to how to address this issue after installing on my device is shoddy customer support from the beginning. These instructions that don't exist should have been relied to me by WildTangent and provided to them by the developer/distributor of Cities XL knowing ahead of time that this could be complicated and is a wide spread issue. Just as they have chosen to be lazy and non existent in support of their pre existing customer base, instead of making things easier with a 5 minute task, they have chosen to screw over their incoming customer base as well. Bravo

I should have the choice of whether or not I want to register the product I BOUGHT! Not have it be forced upon me, especially considering how corrupt and out of order their process is. In order to fight piracy, they have chosen to punish those who have actually paid their hard earned money for this game. I did not purchase this game today to start playing it next week, the week after, in a month, or never from the response time I see is told to many people to expect in these forums. I paid for it today and expect to play it today. The fact that this game has been out for well over a year, and this is a obvious red flag/bug/issue that doesn't have an automated customer service response in place to quickly rectify the problem for customers is absurd, the very "matter of fact, quippy, responses Ive seen given by the moderators on this site to the complaints would deserve a punch to the throat if done in person. This is a sad company, ran by sad men.

You can censor me in this forum, but this forum is merely a grain of sand in a very large beach. Thank you, as my new mission in life is to see your company rightfully earn its place in bankruptcy court. Your lazy, I, I promise you, am not. I will succeed in my mission. You will be digging out of trash cans for your next meal in your near future. I gurantee that, you can consider it fact.

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Postby snick25 » 01 July 2011, 04:25

Why don't you check out the "5 Machine Activation Limit" thread in the General Forum? you'd fit right in... :roll:

Seriously, did you even e-mail the support? They should clear this whole thing up, if not, get a refund. It's as simple as that. Instead you come on here ranting about how you'll "drive the company out of business!" Yeah, I'd like to see that happen. :roll:

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 01 July 2011, 06:14

snick25 wrote:Why don't you check out the "5 Machine Activation Limit" thread in the General Forum? you'd fit right in... :roll:

Seriously, did you even e-mail the support? They should clear this whole thing up, if not, get a refund. It's as simple as that. Instead you come on here ranting about how you'll "drive the company out of business!" Yeah, I'd like to see that happen. :roll:

Difficult, isn't it.

We have forum rules that require players to keep their criticism constructive and we reserve the right to delete posts which breach the rules.

I won't delete the post or lock the thread at this time as I have no intention of being seen to censor player feedback, and whilst in no way constructive, it also can't (quite) be considered abusive.

Sark does make a number of legitimate points about the reliability of the activation process, the speed of technical support provision and of course DRM, all of which could certainly be better. The message there must be the same as that which I gave the guys in the 5 machine thread (and which they have acted on, to their credit): whilst perhaps briefly satisfying, coming over all shouty in a forum doesn't actually achieve anything. If you actually don't like the situation, then do something to change it.

Of the back of that advice, the others have started an anti DRM petition, which I wholeheartedly agree with, although I'm not likely to change my avatar, if and when the petition is up and running, as long as it is worded appropriately, I will be glad to lend my support to it.

Tom.

Morbo41

Postby Morbo41 » 01 July 2011, 20:18

Seriously, did you even e-mail the support? They should clear this whole thing up, if not, get a refund. It's as simple as that. Instead you come on here ranting about how you'll "drive the company out of business!" Yeah, I'd like to see that happen.

I've emailed the support. No answer. I tried to get a refund, but the store from which I purchased the game will not issue any refunds for any PC games. So no, its not as simple as that.

Bottom line is that this game should be a simple install and play. Done. Register if you want to. Instead, I have this game taking up space on my computer, just to be denied by some silly code, as part of a needlessly over-complicated installation process. What am I trying to do, hack into a government server or play a damn game? Worse off, I can't get my money back and customer service has been non existent.

This is brutal.

Can someone forward this to a support department to help me out? Obviously the support link doesn't work for me. Please help me out.

bdavis84

Postby bdavis84 » 12 March 2013, 22:36

I purchased Cities XL on March 8, upon installation I entered my Activation Key only to be told that activation failed and my key was not found in the database. I then attempted to do manual activation which led me to be told that my key was invalid. I immediately contact the support team who informed me that my key was valid and told me to 1. copy and paste the key (which I had already tried), 2. to make sure that my firewalls and antivirus was turned off (which I did) and still am unable to activate. Another customer service associate instructed me to follow a link that doesn't even exist on my activation screen and when I told them this I never heard a word from them. The only thing I keep being told is that my activation key is valid but if this is the case why can I still not activate the game?

Return to “Technical Forum”