Moderator: Focus Team

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Re: Images: Violent Weather

Postby snick25 » 24 August 2011, 22:57

Well, I have some more pictures to share with all of you. It's been a while, so there are a lot of them. ;)

These were all taken during one storm. This one was a real gale. It came and went within an hour, and during that time I have never seen the sky so black in my entire life. Here's a series of pictures that show the progression of the storm:

This was when the storm really started to get bad. As you can see above, another gust front blew through and with it came heavy rain and winds. However, the rain quickly died down, and it became very quiet outside.

The sky was churning and was almost midnight black. I cannot express the churning part enough. I could literally see clouds passing by, forming and dissolving before my very eyes. I was getting very worried.

This is the last picture I took of the storm before running down into the basement. Immediately after taking this picture, I swear I saw a funnel cloud on the horizon, flickering across the sky. There's a chance it could have been a reflection on the window, but I doubt it.

This storm did spawn several tornados, three of them to be exact. One to our northeast, one to our northwest, and one to our southwest.

When I came back upstairs, the sky was the most brilliant shade of yellow I have ever seen. The worst part of the storm was over.

As the sun began to set, a very odd cloud formation formed overhead. I only see it before or after very severe storms; I don't know what it's called and I don't know why it forms, but it's beautiful.

I'd just like to apologize for the horrible quality of some of these pictures. Unfortunetly that is as clear as I could get.

Other than that, I hope you enjored this series of pictures. There will be more coming very soon. ;)

Maxinsanity

Postby Maxinsanity » 24 August 2011, 23:30

Those "bumps" in the clouds are called mammatocumulus, also known as mammatus clouds, meaning 'mammary cloud'. When you see that kind of activity at the bottom of a cloud it tells you that the air is very violent and is a good indication that a severe storm is about to unload. When you see that... watch out!

Absolutely gorgeous photos by the way, I am always going outside to admire the weather as well.

snick25

Postby snick25 » 24 August 2011, 23:47

Hey, thanks for the information. :) I've always wondered about those clouds...

And yes, I love watching a storm unfold, and I love photographing it even more. It's nature in its most beauty, and, at the same time, most intimidating form.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 25 August 2011, 06:06

Hey Snick,

As always, a very impressive set of photos.

Tom.

Kitsunebi

Postby Kitsunebi » 25 August 2011, 07:31

Awesome pictures! :D
... quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

Edward7

Postby Edward7 » 05 October 2011, 13:49

Very nice pictures.

afridinazneen

Postby afridinazneen » 21 March 2012, 09:05

This was interesting.

nomibucha

Postby nomibucha » 25 October 2013, 07:51

this is very nice sharing about violent weather this type of weather is very favorite of mine i really like it very much ..

Return to “Blabla”