Moderator: Focus Team

rmorrison100

Re: Images: Violent Weather

Postby rmorrison100 » 01 June 2011, 11:57

Thank you for posting the pictures. Looks like heavy rain comes next with that pictures.

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Postby snick25 » 03 June 2011, 00:08

Well, I have a boatload of pictures for you. They are all from last summer, and some are from a trip I took. Note: Some of these have bad photo quality, so sorry for that!

The following few images were taken during a vacation in Colorado Springs. When we arrived, the mountains were shrouded by clouds and there were several strong thunderstorms. This first picture below shows the mountains covered by a few low-lying clouds.

This image below was taken at higher elevation, and was almost level to the cloud I was looking at.

Finally, the bad weather started to break up, and we could see the Rockies in their full glory. This picture shows the first glimpse of Pike's Peak as the clouds receded.

As the weather improved, so did our view. Here's another shot of the mountains.

Finally, it's not necessarily violent weather, but the view from the top of Pike's Peak was amazing.

The same evening I arrived back home from Colorado was the same evening of a large storm. When a storm occurs right at sunset, the effects can be amazing, as exemplified in the following pictures.

The rays of the dying sun pierced through the clouds in the picture below.

As the storm started to move in, large, dark clouds started to fill up the sky.

Not a single patch of blue sky left, the sun still managed to light up the northern horizon. Notice the purple colorings of the clouds below.

You may be able to see a slight darkness on the horizon below. That would be rain.

I apologize for the quality of this last picture. Aided by nightfall and the heavy cloud cover, it got very dark. My camera doesn't handle that kind of lighting very well. Anyway, the picture below is an example of the thick, dark clouds that passed overhead. Surprisingly, there was not a lot of rain with this storm.

Notice the interesting cloud patterns in the top-center. Typically we see those in severe storms. I don't recall if we had any tornadoes with that storm or not, but it was certainly interesting to watch.

This next storm was on the following day. It was short but fierce, as many storms here are. The first few pictures depict a gust front approaching my house. It may look ominous, and it was indeed captivating to watch it approach. Many people confuse gust fronts and wall clouds, as they look the same. However, a wall cloud is usually the precursor to a tornado or severe thunderstorm, while a gust front is accompanied by wind gusts in access of 100 miles per hour (hence its name).

These photos were all taken within minutes of each other, and show the storm coming and leaving. It was over in half an hour.

Notice the leaves blowing off of the trees in the fourth picture. I was stunned of how fierce the wind was. The birch tree you see to the right of that picture bent over backwards, its top braches literally touching the ground. I was amazed that it didn't break. If you are ever outside during a gust front, it is hell on earth. I remember leaving school one day just as one passed over. The wind ripped the air from my lungs and made it extremely hard to breathe. I was pelted my rain and hail all the way home.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and information. As I said before, flooding is a concern in my area, especially along the Missouri and Platte Rivers. I'm going to try and get down there tomorrow and get some pictures and video if I can.

Kitsunebi

Postby Kitsunebi » 03 June 2011, 06:18

Hey snick... I love your pictures! That Pike Peak seems to be like a pretty high mountain with snow on it in summer ;) And that one picture with the dark cloud pattern is kind of scary :?

Here in Europe there are not so many interesting clouds... or I never have my camera with me, when there are some :roll: But I have 2 pics taken in New Zealand three years ago. Apparently, you know about the difficulties of taking pictures with heavy clouds at nightfall... so, I'm sorry about the bad quality of the first picture. It was taken in Nelson/New Zealand right before a storm...

And this picture was taken 10 days later - heavy clouds only covered the area behind the hill in the front, so this was an interesting play of light :)

Cheers ;)
... quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 03 June 2011, 07:28

Awesome photos. I particularly love those taken in the evening with the different cloud effects at and around sunset.

macko123456
Mid 2011 Awards - Best City Journal
Mid 2011 Awards - Best City Journal

Postby macko123456 » 03 June 2011, 12:38

I wish I lived in America.
JAMES ACKERMAN FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012!
VISIT BRANDON: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3544

GeorgeC5614

Postby GeorgeC5614 » 03 June 2011, 18:20

If you want to see how awesome mother nature can be watch this tornado reverse the flow of the river! This happened in my city a couple of days ago, the camera filming it is a webcam from one of our TV stations mounted on top of one of the downtown hotels. The tornado caused a massive amount of property damage, but luckily only 3 fatalities so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdrob-JW_O4

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 03 June 2011, 18:26

That's an incredible video, George.

snick25

Postby snick25 » 03 June 2011, 19:54

Kitsunebi, thanks for sharing that. Those are some very interesting photos. It's always wierd when there's a storm, but the sun is out. That's happened a few times to me; it's a neat experience.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I wasn't able to make it down to the river today becuase of the heatwave, but tommorow should be cooler. Also, I'm going to go right through Springfield, Massachusetts (I think right on that highway where that tornado touched down) on my trip to New England in two weeks.

The reason why that incident was so freaky was that the East rarely experiences tornados, except for the occasional hurricane. The tornados themselves were fairly weak, but the fact that people had no warning was what caused injuries and fatalities.

GeorgeC5614

Postby GeorgeC5614 » 03 June 2011, 20:26

snick25 wrote:Kitsunebi, thanks for sharing that. Those are some very interesting photos. It's always wierd when there's a storm, but the sun is out. That's happened a few times to me; it's a neat experience.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I wasn't able to make it down to the river today becuase of the heatwave, but tommorow should be cooler. Also, I'm going to go right through Springfield, Massachusetts (I think right on that highway where that tornado touched down) on my trip to New England in two weeks.

The reason why that incident was so freaky was that the East rarely experiences tornados, except for the occasional hurricane. The tornados themselves were fairly weak, but the fact that people had no warning was what caused injuries and fatalities.

Definitely rare here :) That was the first tornado to touch down since 1953. We do not have any weather warning sirens, all we had was a tornado warning from the National Weather Service, and if you were not watching TV you didn't even have that. It was a very long day here.

That is I-91 which runs North-South through Springfield. If you are traveling east-west you will probably pass through on I-90, the Massachusetts turnpike.

snick25

Postby snick25 » 03 June 2011, 20:39

GeorgeC5614 wrote:Definitely rare here :) That was the first tornado to touch down since 1953. We do not have any weather warning sirens, all we had was a tornado warning from the National Weather Service, and if you were not watching TV you didn't even have that. It was a very long day here.

That is I-91 which runs North-South through Springfield. If you are traveling east-west you will probably pass through on I-90, the Massachusetts turnpike.

I'm pretty sure I will travel on the I-90 east from New York through Springfield and Worcester, then travel southeast on the I-495. Then I will get on the 24/79 going through Fall River, then take the 24 south into Newport. I still have to work out all the details though. ;)

Return to “Blabla”