Moderator: Focus Team

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Postby snick25 » 25 May 2011, 02:26

Hello all! You may or may not be interested in this, but where I live in the United States, everyone has been very concerned about the weather lately, as a series of deadly tornadoes have torn through the Midwest region in one of the worst tornado outbreaks in history. Luckily, many of these have only affected rural areas, but when they hit a town or city, the results are devastating. Just yesterday, an F5 tornado hit Joplin, Missouri. It went down Main Street and tore through a hospital. The death toll so far is around 115. Today, tornadoes touched down around Oklahoma City and Tulsa, killing at least 2. So far this year, over 500 have been killed by tornadoes or severe thunderstorms in the United States, even more if you consider floods.

Anyway, I live not far from the epicenter of these outbreaks, and have had some close encounters of my own with these storms. I thought I would share some pictures I took of various storms and other weather that I have personally witnessed. The following few images were taken on the afternoon of May 21.

These next three images were taken during a fierce but short-lived storm we had last summer.

Finally, here are a few unrelated but equally interesting pictures of various cloud formations.

Anyway, I hope you find this interesting, and thanks for reading.

Kitsunebi

Re: Images: Violent Weather

Postby Kitsunebi » 25 May 2011, 06:47

It is sad to read about people dying because of thunderstorms or any other natural catastrophy. But on the other hand I can't help it... your pictures show a certain beauty :?
... quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

macko123456
Mid 2011 Awards - Best City Journal
Mid 2011 Awards - Best City Journal

Postby macko123456 » 25 May 2011, 10:29

I know what Kitsunebi means . . . those pictures are so beautiful (nice photography, by the way) and yet so foreboding.

And here I am in England thinking a storm constitutes bad weather.
JAMES ACKERMAN FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012!
VISIT BRANDON: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3544

snick25

Postby snick25 » 26 May 2011, 01:41

Yes, I also think weather is beautiful as well as awe-inspiring. This might sound wierd, but whenever there's a storm going on, I sometimes drop what I'm doing and go outside to watch. It is very captivating to watch one of these unfold, and it is very relaxing to be outside right before a storm hits, as it is often quiet and peaceful. I live in Nebraska, which is a bit higher in elevation than Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, so we don't get quite as many tornadoes as they do. Still, we do get several a year. In fact, the largest tornado ever recorded was located only twenty or so miles southwest of here, near Hallam, Nebraska. That one was 2.5 miles (4 km) in width.

The good thing about tornadoes is that we have advanced warning systems that tell us hours in advance that a tornado is likely to hit. Sometimes, however, people don't hear the sirens or can't get to a safe location, and that's when tragedy strikes. Also, some tornadoes are rain-wrapped (shrouded by a surrounding rain storm) and people don't think there's any tornado there. Those situations are extremely dangerous. Night is also very dangerous for tornadoes, as many people are asleep. The sirens are hard enough to hear through the storm when you're awake, but asleep, you have no chance. I remember that exact thing almost happened to me two years ago. There was a tornado only blocks away from my house and I didn't even hear about it until I saw the news the next morning.

Anyway, I have always been very interested in weather, and thought I would share these stories with you. If anyone has stories of their own, feel free to share! ;)

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 26 May 2011, 07:33

I like it - thanks for sharing these snick.

There is a fierce beauty in this sort of thing.

I'm often asked why I choose to holiday on the coast in the winter. The answer is simple - much of the time, the weather is beautiful, but the rest of the time, you have exactly that sort of vista (although not tornado-strength), but with an angry sea. It can be stunningly beautiful and 95% of people (random statistic I just made up) completely miss it.

nuxyda

Postby nuxyda » 30 May 2011, 19:29

Responsible for this disaster are: chemtrails, HAARP project and a special antenna called Woodpecker.

Today there is a new war between American / European and Russian / Chinese / Japanese: it is called The Climate War. Even earthquakes are part of the same project...

It is not fiction, but the true reality.
This is the reason because hurricanes have increased in America.
It 'difficult to understand and to explain here in this little forum, but inquire through the net

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 30 May 2011, 20:54

nuxyda wrote:Responsible for this disaster are: chemtrails, HAARP project and a special antenna called Woodpecker.

Today there is a new war between American / European and Russian / Chinese / Japanese: it is called The Climate War. Even earthquakes are part of the same project...

It is not fiction, but the true reality.
This is the reason because hurricanes have increased in America.
It 'difficult to understand and to explain here in this little forum, but inquire through the net

So that explains the trouble I'm having with wind. :lol:

snick25

Postby snick25 » 31 May 2011, 00:47

Yes, that idea is pretty far-fetched. Now global warming, yes, that is one of the culprits behind these outbreaks this year (but maybe that's what you where trying to say). :?

The tornadoes have dwindled down recently, but the main concern for where I live right now is flooding.

Evergreen

Postby Evergreen » 31 May 2011, 05:56

Hey you forgot the aliens in Area 51 ...they controlling the volcanoes :lol:

Kitsunebi

Postby Kitsunebi » 31 May 2011, 06:05

@Tom: did you think the wind turbines in Europe produce power? No, they MAKE the wind... :geek:
... quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

Return to “Blabla”