Why are all the fair 2012 reviews being locked?

Moderator: Focus Team

scoobie

Why are all the fair 2012 reviews being locked?

Postby scoobie » 22 October 2011, 09:42

Lot of critical yet negative (and rightfully so, due to the even worse lag) reviews on this supposedly 'open' forum are being locked. I understand the people who b*tch and complain about anything can be annoying, but these reviews brought up valid points about what was promised and what was given as end product.

To add salt, these people paid and supported the company, yet they are unable to express their genuine opinions about the product.

Things are more transparent nowadays and by locking threads where OP asks the correct questions, it will only hinder the much needed progression of the game, which still has the same fundamental issues from inception.

Oliver

Re: Why are all the fair 2012 reviews being locked?

Postby Oliver » 22 October 2011, 09:54

There were no "reviews" locked. All locked threads were either double threads (with other threads open for their criticism) or not complying with the forum rules.

If you could give me an example of a locked thread, I will be able to explain why it was locked.
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

scoobie

Postby scoobie » 22 October 2011, 10:12

I should be more broad, reviews and 'valid questions.'

The 2012 Purchase and Regret thread was locked since OP must 'use impressions topic to discuss the game.'

What? So why bother posting anything about the 2012 game in the forum. We should then all be limited to the 'impressions topic' thread?

You then lock the 'Was the game really beta-tested?' thread and respond that you "can't answer any specific questions about the bugs," which is fine and dandy protocol.

But it comes off as very hypocritical when the company issues a statement that a patch will "hopefully" come out soon to fix the largest bug of all, the laginess.

But of course this statement is made AFTER the product is out for release and purchase. We were told the fix of said bugs "soon" after our initial purchases of CXL '09, '11, and now '12.

I want to believe this company is moving in the right direction, but there is a very clear history here of making promises AFTER the release of the game for purcha$e.

I hope I am wrong, but three times in a row is very telling.

scoobie

Postby scoobie » 22 October 2011, 10:22

Why was this thread locked?

Once and for all, are the crashes and memory leaks fixed?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4804

OP is a potential paying customer, and I being one, have the same question in mind specific to 2012. His question was sincere, specific, and he ended with a Thank You.

Ironically the the thread was locked by you, Oliver, stating..

"We have been clear that there will be no performance improvements"

Only 4 days after horrid lag and buggy reviews of 2012 do we have Vince state the exact opposite in that a "patch" is in the works (of course, after purcha$e release date) if needed.

Contradictory much?

Deja Vu?

I understand the company may be afraid of threads that may put off new business and customers. But by locking threads that pose fundamental questions, especially for us fans who've been paying and playing since '09, we are severely limiting the potential of what this game can be at the expense of myopically adding as much newbie customers who are more enthralled by aesthetics (that contribute to more lag) than the fundamental gameplay.

X-Flame

Postby X-Flame » 22 October 2011, 10:37

You can't patch in performance improvements. Performance is based on code that's so deep into the game that it's hardcoded into the very engine itself. A patch can't alter that.

Oliver

Postby Oliver » 22 October 2011, 11:13

Have you ever browsed through the forums? There are approximately 20 threads all about performance enhancement/multicore support. The OP could have found the answer very easily by either using the search function or browsing through the boards. That was the reason for the performance threads to be locked.

The question was about CXL 12 and I answered correctly as I said that there aren't any performance enhancements in CXL 12. We weren't aware of the fact that there might be a patch at this moment.

The accusation that we censor every negative opinions is simply not true. A short browse through the forums will prove that. There are loads of comments issueing criticism and only a minority of them was locked or edited. We only ever delete posts containing abusive content, but we never delete any criticism. The threads may be locked sometimes, but the criticism is still online and can be read.
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

nicko2u

Postby nicko2u » 22 October 2011, 11:23

X-Flame wrote:You can't patch in performance improvements. Performance is based on code that's so deep into the game that it's hardcoded into the very engine itself. A patch can't alter that.

Of course you can! for example a patch could in theory be an updated file (one of hundreds) that removes some redundant code that was causing a loop, resulting in the game slowing down.

I think what your saying is building in multicore support, then yes that would be a major upgrade.

City Builder

Postby City Builder » 22 October 2011, 11:44

X-Flame wrote:You can't patch in performance improvements. Performance is based on code that's so deep into the game that it's hardcoded into the very engine itself. A patch can't alter that.

Games have their performance improved all the time through patches.

Rene

Postby Rene » 22 October 2011, 12:59

People nag and whine way too much. I did a bit as well. But when I actually got the game I realized that I like it a lot!

About tech, people have reported that the graphics aren't that heavy. So perhaps something is done. And sure the exe is updated and I'd be surprised if they didn't fix any none whatsoever tech issues.

I agree that the memory leak should be fixed in a patch but multicore is something far bigger, I understand that it won't be in a patch.
A fine site xlnation.net and a big mod database xlnation.net/xlex

Check out all my Cities XL mods: Rene's Cities xl mods

Faark

Postby Faark » 22 October 2011, 13:55

No rene! Sure it can be a patch since they are always updating/working on the game and just renaming the releases once a year :D It wouldn't make any sense to wait half a year when a multicore-fix is done (and definitively stable after it was well tested)

Even thou that integrating multicore support is a major change shouldn't be a problem since it would be a major improvement, too. One of the most requested and important.

But the point is that bug fixing should always have the highest priority. And there are damn much bugs to fix first...

btw why are people here using the fact that the engine was designed for multiplayer as an excuse for stuff like memory leaks? No software should have memory leaks or performance issues, including multiplayer games! (especially pvp games, but thats another topic^^)
The answer for everything: Please FHI, make it open source!!!

Return to “Blabla”