Lake Kajake (A Study of Traffic and Efficiency)

Moderator: Focus Team

V4nKw15h

Re: Lake Kajake (A Study of Traffic and Efficiency)

Postby V4nKw15h » 14 June 2011, 19:26

Wow, this thread has suddenly found a new lease of life.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. It's difficult to make a journal like this without sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet but that was never my intention. I simply enjoyed sharing what I'd made and the experiences and lessons I learned during the process. I'm really pleased it is still proving useful.

@g5457s:

Your traffic looks fine. It's inevitable that you will have orange roads and orange is really only a warning. Red = Very bad and time to solve. Orange roads will reduce the profitability of nearby businesses and the satisfaction of nearby housing so you can always take that into account to improve overall city profits. Put unskilled workers closer to the busiest roads because they are not so fussy :D

You can of course always add extra roads so your traffic has other options of getting from one side of the city to the other. Sometimes this helps, sometimes not. Sometimes building a bridge across water to ease traffic will help smooth things out but then the bridge has an ongoing monthly charge so only experimentation will reveal whether it makes nearby businesses more profitable to cover that expense. The same with any road really. All roads cost the city something each month. Bad traffic causes unhappy people. Unhappy people means less profits too. I believe that the overall satisfaction levels of each class of people affects the profitability of the businesses where they work.

It is this really deep level of simulation that makes this such a great city sim. Everything affects everything else and trying to find out exactly at what level things affect each other to achieve maximum efficiency could keep someone busy with one city for months. I was constantly experimenting with improving one type of service to see how it affected profits and whether it was worth the added expense. Leisure and holidays seemed to have the biggest affect on both satisfaction levels and business profits during my testing but it was always a difficult process to know exactly. There is a constant fluctuation in profits of any city due to businesses closing down and reopening due to those totally random funny events. (eg. Business closed down because the manager ran off with the cash.)

@chris_tof: I updated the first post to mention your summary and where to find it. Thanks again for helping out. I'm sure it will be useful to many people even those who have read through everything.

chris_tof

Postby chris_tof » 15 June 2011, 17:50

@chris_tof: I updated the first post to mention your summary and where to find it. Thanks again for helping out. I'm sure it will be useful to many people even those who have read through everything.

You are the one deserving all the credits here. I had been looking for some strategy tips and figured this thread was the closest to one.

BTW, you can refer to the "summary of tips" post by making it a link to viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1258&start=120#p40039

I will keep updating it (already did with your orange-red traffic comments just above)...

Thanks!!

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 15 June 2011, 19:05

Done.

g5457s

Postby g5457s » 19 June 2011, 04:28

Removed
Last edited by g5457s on 20 June 2011, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 20 June 2011, 10:18

@g5457s: I don't understand why you posted all of that in this thread. You have your own city journal for that city and all of that information should be in there and not here.

If you had asked for some advice on a specific problem, and posted up a couple of pictures to better explain, it would make sense but you simply seem to be hijacking this journal to display your own city. I'm sorry if I misinterpret your intentions but I can't see any other reason why you posted it here. Most of your post has nothing to do with Traffic or Efficiency (the main theme of this journal) and you don't even offer any advice on how to achieve anything you did (the other theme in this journal).

If you wanted me to comment on your city you could have directed me to your city journal. Once again, I'm sorry if I misinterpretted your intentions.

g5457s

Postby g5457s » 20 June 2011, 11:25

I read at the start of the thread that you'd be interested to see how everyone's doing at this population, so I posted here. Sorry if I overdid it... I'll delete all of that right away. :oops:

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 20 June 2011, 12:00

Okay, it's no big deal. I was simply confused because you didn't explain why you posted it all here.

Feel free to post up a comparison if that was your intention although I still think it's better to keep all the details in your own journal and only highlight the differences here.

I'll edit the post to take out that comment because I wrote that when the game was first out and I was interested to see if I was on the right track with what I was doing. Now, however, I realise that it's difficult to compare one city with another unless they are on a very similar map with similar starting resources.

Caortiz97

Postby Caortiz97 » 27 June 2011, 19:39

This is my biggest city Frunim, it haves almost 3 million of people, and it haves a lot of traffic problem.
I don't produce heavy industry or manifacturing, it only haves a lot of office industry and some high tech.
I import like 90-100 of heavy and 100-110 manifacturing industry but I export like 950 of office industry and I export like 20 of high tech. That stays like a +500k income per turn.
It was all made of high density so you can see lots of very tall buildings
Office is located with the high tech industry all together and residential zone is located on the other side as you can see on this screenshot

This city has a lot of bridges because I need to solve many different traffic proble as you can see below.

Altough It's a beautiful city...

It has one big problem...TRAFFIC
Hope you can help me with this :)
Spoken languages/Lenguas que hablo/Langues que je parle: English, Español/ Français

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 28 June 2011, 10:35

Hi Caortiz97,

I'm not sure why your pics are not working but I pulled out the URL of the first overhead traffic view and took a look. The link is below for those who are interested.

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2568/asr8tqp6_jpg

Wow, I'm not surprised that your traffic is bad. Highways should really be avoided. Allow me to explain.

The highway itself can carry twice as much traffic as an expressway but the highway junctions can not handle that ammount of traffic. A highway junction can not even handle the same flow of traffic as a simple expressway crossroads. This is a problem with the game and my advice is to avoid highways altogether if you want smooth flowing traffic. Use expressways instead. There is little point having a highway with 320 capacity when the capacity of it's junctions is closer to 80. The capacity of an expressway crossroads is 160.

So my advice to you is to destroy ALL your highways and highway junctions and replace them with expressways. You may need to add extra expressways here and there but it will allow you to much more easily connect up your city and allow traffic to flow across it much more easily. Try it, you will be surprised. You can run a city like you have entirely with expressways. It will make your life so much easier and they are cheaper than highways also. You will increase monthly profits and easily reduce traffic congestion. Instead of trying to funnel all your traffic onto crappy highways, you can connect up your city with many expressways and your traffic will have multiple choices of how to get from one place to another. It will spread out the flow of traffic and make your life so much easier.

There is only one efficient use for highways in the game and it has nothing to do with normal traffic. If you are trying to make passenger services, or freight, reach from the city link (at the edge of the map) to the very centre of the map, the only way to do that efficiently is with the use of a highway. It is the only road with enough capacity to provide green freight to the centre of the map. So unless that is your goal you should avoid highways like the plague. Consider them as bugged but in reality they were never properly implemented into the game. (You can of course build an airport to increase passenger services, or a harbour for freight, so on most maps highways can be avoided altogether)

I suppose there are also a couple of occassions that I can imagine where a cleverly designed highway could move traffic from one side of the map to the other side more efficiently but unless you have a thorough understanding of how and why then my general advice to avoid highways altogether still stands. I remember in beta I looped a highway around the edge of a large lake in the centre of my map, with highway bridges and this did actually prove more efficient because of the distances involved. Highways in practice rarely allow you to transfer more traffic than expressways (because of their stupid junctions) but they can theoretically get the traffic to travel larger distances faster.

jwhitesj

Postby jwhitesj » 23 July 2011, 01:31

I have three questions. I know you have attempted to answer these two questions before but I'm still a little unclear about the methods that you use.

1. You say that in the beginning stages of the game you lay out your city in a rough way but also try to keep in mind the general shape of your road system for later. Are you setting up these 12x12 to 15x15 blocks of low density housing early in the game? So later they turn into 8x8 to 10x10 high density housing. Do you fill these large blocks all with one type of residence early in the game or do you subdevide these blocks and place class specific housing innside the subdivisions.

2. When upgrading your roads later, do you wait untill an area is becoming overwhelmed by traffic or do you do a mass overhaul of the road network at one time as soon as the new roads become avaliable? When upgrading do you take a block by block approach to upgrading the roads or do you try to upgrade an entire road?

3. Do you use the same block mehtod for offices and industrial zones? Do you subdevide these? Do you mix some offices inside these large blocks and put some housing and some offices?

If you can elaborate on these three points I think it would help me understand everything a lot better. I have read through the entire thread and I'm just a little confused about these specific subjects. Thank you for taking the time to patiently answer every ones questions. I know it has been a really long time since you stopped building this city but the information that is contained in thsi thread is extreemly helpful.

Return to “City Showcase”