Lake Kajake (A Study of Traffic and Efficiency)

Moderator: Focus Team

Archjuh

Re: Lake Kajake (A Study of Traffic and Efficiency)

Postby Archjuh » 06 September 2011, 13:41

Thank you for the advices. Now I know what to look for in support cities and main city.

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 06 September 2011, 13:53

@ PresD

Sorry, it seems I missed replying to your post earlier. The map is Lake on the Plain.

@Archjuh

No problem, I'm pleased to help.

X-Flame

Postby X-Flame » 06 September 2011, 18:58

I noticed that you have a lot of High Density districts. How do you satisfy the citizens in those areas with Shops, without messing with the ugliness that comes with placing small buildings amongst skyscrapers?

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 08 September 2011, 15:02

That's a strange question X-Flame because I deliberately didn't have any areas that are exclusively high density. I didn't want the ugliness of densely packed skyscrapers.

I assume that you never downloaded and looked through the zip file of images from the first post. If you want to see the layout of my entire city you should take a look. It contains images of me flying across my city from one side to the other so you can get a close-up view of just about any area from any angle.

desty128

Postby desty128 » 08 September 2011, 17:03

V4nKw15h, would you agree with me that there needs to be streets added into the game? For the sake of realism I am surprised they weren't included. I for one think that my low density housing areas could flow more smoothly and cut down on surrounding traffic were they built on streets. I know this has nothing to do with anything you are currently talking about but wanted your (expert) opinion.

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 08 September 2011, 23:52

@desty128:

I'm not sure what you mean by streets. Do you mean a pedestrian only road?

If you do then I suppose it could add realism and visual variety but I can't see it making much of a difference to traffic. Pedestrian zones are generally created for safety reasons rather than for improved traffic.

Let me know if you meant something else.

desty128

Postby desty128 » 09 September 2011, 01:02

I was thinking something along the line of the streets in Sim City--a road with a stop sign. I would figure that having traffic flow smoothly through on the intersecting roadway would improve traffic. Do you get what I'm saying? I also don't know of many neighberhoods that have full-blown stoplights in all directions at any intersection....

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 09 September 2011, 12:34

We absolutely need that type of thing. We need slip roads off expressways and highways too and a fix for numerous other problems in the traffic system like cars lining up at none existant junctions.

Unfortunately, because the development team switched between CXL 2009 and CXL 2011 I am not going to be holding my breath for any of these things. The original dev team obviously found the underlying system awkward enough to alter to allow traffic to flow freely onto Highway Interchanges (they arrived late in beta and the problem was never addressed in patches) so I'm sure it will be even more time consuming for the new dev team to fix such problems.

I don't expect much more than Mods to the existing game from the current devs, so the big issues like fixing the traffic system or multi-core support are not very likely in my opinion.

One thing that they may be able to do is give us the option to manually control the flow of traffic at junctions. In the real world the traffic lights at a junction are manually set to allow the lights to stay green longer along the flow of most traffic. If we had the option to tweak the same thing in CXL we could allow the lights to stay green 90% of the time for the main roads and only 10% for 'streets' as you call them. I suspect this would be a much easier thing to alter in the game than adding new junction types but time will tell if the problem is even looked at never mind solved.

desty128

Postby desty128 » 09 September 2011, 21:59

I agree, it would probably be easier for them to just give us the ability to change the time cycle of lights. I often question why the developers lacked the common sense when it comes to the traffic system. A child could point out the intersection malfunctions.... I would also consider stop signs essential in any city building game! I'm just glad Pharmist and other modders have gifted us with a wide variety of roadways. If you don't call them streets, what do you refer to them as?

Hopefully with the release of 2012 we will have the capability to add these crucial elements into the game.

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 09 September 2011, 22:44

I'm from the UK and we don't really have a name for what you call a street. A street here is a more generic term used in many circumstances. The junction type you refer to would be a 'give way' junction here. The US has stop signs, we have 'Give way' signs.

It seems clear that during development they coded a single basic junction type and used it everywhere. Highways came later along with the Interchanges that didn't work well with the current junction code. To code new junctions would most likely require a large ammount of work and alteration to the underlying systems. As a programmer myself, I can understand that the new devs could be reluctant to start messing with the current system for fear of unforeseen bugs cropping up throughout the game. The idea to change timing on lights would be a step in the right direction and would probably be a much easier thing to code considering that the lights already have a timing.

It wouldn't allow us to have slip roads off expressways and highways though and to me that would be by far the most important addition. With the addition of slip roads we could build custom interchanges that worked realistically.

We have seen no mention of any of these types of improvements for the 2012 edition and that is a huge shame and they would be top of my list for improvements. I don't care much for new buildings, and will definitely not purchase 2012 if all we get is more of the same.

Return to “City Showcase”