Lake Kajake (A Study of Traffic and Efficiency)

Moderator: Focus Team

silegnav

Re: Lake Kajake (A Study of Traffic and Efficiency)

Postby silegnav » 08 August 2011, 12:51

Thank you for your reply.

I have some questions:

1) what are the effects of seaside houses
2) is there a way to know where is the unemployment 'globally'?
3) A lot of heavy industry is telling me their profits are being affected by 'nearby freight'. I checked the traffic and everything is green. I am perplexed.

Thank you for your patience and kind assistance.

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 08 August 2011, 13:01

1) what are the effects of seaside houses
I'm not sure I know what you are asking. However, there are holiday zones on most land near the sea. You can check the holiday resources overlay to see. If you build a house in a holiday area then the people living there will have a high quality of life.

2) is there a way to know where is the unemployment 'globally'?
Yes. It seems like you haven't realised that you can display all of this information with overlays. It's accessed from the tabs on the right. I think the resources tab (I can't remember exactly and I can't check right now). You can see overlays for things like available fuel areas, water, jobs available, unemployment, quality of life - also for 'freight' and 'passenger services'.

3) A lot of heavy industry is telling me their profits are being affected by 'nearby freight'. I checked the traffic and everything is green. I am perplexed.
See answer above. There is an overlay to display 'freight'. Freight is brought into the city from city links. Think of the word 'freight' as meaning 'good fast access to intercity roads and transport'. Freight can also be created by harbours. The further a road is from the city link the less freight will reach it. Busy, clogged up roads will reduce freight faster but businesses close to the city links will generally get great freight.

X-Flame

Postby X-Flame » 08 August 2011, 15:46

Actually, regarding question #2, it's in the Economy tab, called Jobs.

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 08 August 2011, 21:03

Thanks X-Flame :D

Archjuh

Postby Archjuh » 04 September 2011, 09:18

Hi I've been reading through this thread for a while now and gotten a lot of interesting information how to make a succesful city. I have a small problem though. I have been trying to make an efficient heavy/manufacturing/farm/water feeding city to get surplusses on my trading hub.

I just reached around 100k citizens and things seem gloomy. My traffic is based on large avenues and at worst my congestion gets to around darker yellow on a couple of areas but mostly it's green/yellow. I don't think I have troubles with congestion but it seems my citizens just aren't happy.

It seems very hard to keep all the satisfactions up (I've been trying to have them somewhere between 70-90%). Sometimes it would just require too much services for example leisure to get it even above 50%. I create smallish/medium residential zones but I think I have too much of them spread around that I have to make too much services for each zone making my cash flow too little (around 10k-0) sometimes even negative. What is an efficient way to achieve services around zones?

Especially Shops, Leisure and education seems hardest to achieve.
Sometimes when I hover the service to see where effectively place it the road grid shows green all the way but when I plant the achieved satisfaction is only pale yellow. For this reason it seems I require two schools in a residential zone to make it happy enough with the education.
Same is with leisure, one leisure service gets satisfaction up only so little that I have to go and plant all of the available leisures to get it up to yellow/slightly green.
Shops are really annoying for me when I place a shop near a place that is not satisfied with the shop services and it hardly has any effect at all no matter how close or far I place it(if it's accessible through large avenue I place it a bit further away.

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 04 September 2011, 20:49

Hi Archjuh,

You said:
"I create smallish/medium residential zones but I think I have too much of them spread around that I have to make too much services...."

You answered your own question. Everytime you create a new area of housing you will obviously need to provide all the services again.

Imagine the following scenario as an ideal situation. Imagine a circle. At the centre of the circle are all your large, most expensive services with the greatest range. Surrounding the central services are elites, a little further from the centre are executives. Then Skilled workers and finally unskilled. With that as your goal, you can create the most efficient city.

However, the land mass may not allow you to expand out in a perfect circle to allow you to be ultra efficient. In those cases you will need to add a few of the cheaper services to bump up satisfaction in more remote areas.

If you try to build your city with many different, seperated residential areas it will be very difficult to provide all the services many times. Obviously that is very inefficient and you will run out of money.

In respect to Lake Kajake, imagine the efficient circle idea I described above with all the main services in the centre. Now imagine two of those circles placed side by side so that they slightly overlap. That is how I built the core area of Lake Kajake. A single circle was not enough to cover the land mass, but two side by side was.

The most expensive service building I used was the 10k ones. There would be a single 10k police station, hospital, fire at the centre of each circle. Schools are different. Different types of school suit different classes of citizen. Elites need everything up to universities, unskilled just need basic schooling. It makes sense if you think about it. So you can still put all the best schools in the centre closest to the elites which will also service the executives and skilled workers, and then add a few more basic cheaper schools further out to suit the lower class citizens.

Shops should be very simple. If they are complaining about shops then I'm guessing your shops are inefficient or you just need to build more? Forgive me if I remember this incorrectly but I beieve shops require manufacturing. But more generally, if you have any negative tokens, of any resource, then your city is not efficient and it will have knock on negative effects that only grow worse. So always make sure you have positive tokens in everything. If you don't you may find certain things in your city are going wrong without an obvious direct cause.

But in a nutshell, if you want lots of cashflow then you need to be as efficient as possible with your services and for that you can't spread everything out around the map and build the same expensive services multiple times. Your city will go broke.

Archjuh

Postby Archjuh » 04 September 2011, 21:41

I think my problem is really spreading around too much and also trying to experiment too many things at once and then getting mixed up what was right and what was wrong.
I probably have to start new cities more to focus the experiments more.
Just a couple of more questions.
Can you put leisure in the middle services as well since they create some loss of quality of life?
What kind of trading cities are good to make? A couple of my choises have been too diverse such as trying to get office, heavy, manufactoring and maybe fuel or waste or some other utility all in one trading city. This seems to create too much problems since then the existing development of the industries eat away all the surplus.
Right now I'm trying to find out how to effectively get waste, water and holidays to trade but it seems hard because I won't have the cash flow to accomodate the utilities because creating too much industry to get the cashflow starts to eat away the surplus.

X-Flame

Postby X-Flame » 04 September 2011, 22:12

I think having a city that supplies other cities with food is key to building large cities, as your large city will need all the building space it can get. Farms are really space-to-profit inefficient, so you want them in another city.

PresD

Postby PresD » 05 September 2011, 05:43

What map is this.Nice city.
MULTI-CORE FTW
I HAVE A I7 FOR A REASON!!!!

V4nKw15h

Postby V4nKw15h » 05 September 2011, 16:04

In reply to Archjuh:

I agree with X-Flame that the most useful support city is one based on food. That was my first support city for Lake Kajake and was there right from the start. Lake Kajake is on a balanced map with 1 of each resource type available.

With only the one support city supplying food I was able to build Lake Kajake up passed 1 million citizens. Unfortunately I had then exhausted all the water.

So my second support city was designed to overproduce in water.

Finally I started to run out of fuel and holidays so I made a third support city. This one was designed to overproduce in that area.

When you are creating support cities I will offer one huge piece of advice. Don't build large offices. Large offices require hi-tech and hi-tech requires so many resources to produce that it is very inefficient. You will end up having to produce more of absolutely everything simply to sustain the hi-tech production. If you stick to medium offices you will find that your city has way more profit and because you are building a support city you are not going to run out of land space to place the offices anyway (no need for large offices). Don't under-estimate the value of this tip - it makes an enormous difference to both cash flow and the ammount of infrastructure required to support your city.

Return to “City Showcase”