Monroe - Large Update 9/25/2011: Clarkson

Moderator: Focus Team

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Monroe - Large Update 9/25/2011: Clarkson

Postby snick25 » 05 April 2011, 00:45

Hello all! This is my first city journal, and I hope you enjoy it.

Monroe is a growing city of approximately 1.5 million people. Located in the Northwestern US, it is only ten miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. The city rests on the shores of Lake Okaboji, which is fed by the Miskatonic River. It also lies under the shadow of a dormant volcano, Mount Carson. Mt. Carson dwarfs even the city's impressive skyline, and can be seen from up to fifty miles away in all directions.

Downtown is, of course, the busiest part of the city. Over three hundered large companies are headquartered here. A large number of people also call this area home. The streets are busy at all hours of the day and night.

Some random shots:

Finally, the city at sunset.

More to come!
Last edited by snick25 on 25 September 2011, 19:26, edited 11 times in total.

Munzter

Re: Monroe

Postby Munzter » 05 April 2011, 04:59

I REALLY like your city, good job!

c2s1

Postby c2s1 » 05 April 2011, 07:23

WOW!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) LOVE YOUR CITY!!!!
GOOD JOB!!!

Especially when you edit it with the photoshop or vectorization program, the photo looks like a very realistic in real environment.
Do not do unto others what you do not want others do unto you

Kitsunebi

Postby Kitsunebi » 05 April 2011, 08:01

Geez.. your city is awesome! That last picture is simply breath taking!!! I actually cought myself staring at it with my mouth open :lol: I'm looking forward to more pictures - maybe a traffic overview? :D
... quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

hebl

Postby hebl » 05 April 2011, 11:37

Nice city, and I agree - last picture is just breathtaking... Is that a real screenshot out of the game or was there photoshop involved? :shock:

Khainu

Postby Khainu » 05 April 2011, 14:10

I'm with hebl. Last picture is just pure SEX! :lol: :D

snick25

Postby snick25 » 05 April 2011, 16:24

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments! :) I will post some more shots (including a traffic map) in the next few days. ;)

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 05 April 2011, 18:11

Love it. Same as the others, I just think the last picture is amazing and a great advert for what can be achieved in the game (with a bit of photoshopping thrown in of course!) :D

snick25

Update: 4/9/2011

Postby snick25 » 09 April 2011, 21:00

Hi all! I'm here with an update containing some general information about the city as well as a few pictures. I hope you enjoy it!

General Statistics

Population (so far): 1,957,653
Unemployment rate: 4%
General statisfaction: 75%
Speacialization: High-tech, manufacturing, offices, waste management, water
Fastest growing job sector: High-tech industry
Job-filling rate: 75%
Home-filling rate: 100%
Population growth/loss: +2,000/turn
Median household income: $56,374

As you can see, Monroe is growing quickly and is expanding rapidly. Downtown and the surrounding areas are well built-up, and the city is moving outwards, towards newly-built suburbs. The main industries are also changing. The city's main industrial sector, which used to be offices, is now high-tech. People enjoy a high standard of living in Monroe, and statisfaction rates are climbing. A majority of the population consists of skilled workers, followed by executives. There are a smaller number of unskilled workers and elites.

Neighborhood Map

1 - Downtown
2 - Midtown
3 - Creighton Park
4 - Chinatown
5 - Marina
6 - Rocheford
7 - Clarkson
8 - Lawrence Village
9 - Southside
10 - Warehouse District
11 - Parkside
12 - Dundee
13 - Belleville
14 - Papillion
15 - Dipton
16 - Wydwood
17 - Ralston
18 - Fairview
19 - Lakeshore
20 - East Hamilton
21 - West Hamilton
22 - Houston Park
23 - The Pointe
24 - Phillips Island

The city proper lies mostly on the northeastern part of the map. Hamilton is it's own town, but is usually considered part of Monroe. Another mid-sized city, Bloomfield, is currently in development on the western part of the map. It is projected to grow to about 350,000 people. The metro area, which includes Monroe, Hamilton, Bloomfield, and all the surrounding areas is expected to grow to a population of 2.5 million.

Traffic Map

Note: This was taken a few days ago; signifcant development has taken place since then.

Monroe has its fair share of problems, and as with any other big city, traffic is one of them. During rush hour in the mornings and the evenings, main arteries of the city are clogged with cars and trucks as people try to get to work. To solve this problem, several bus lines and one subway line has been created. The subway runs below the city and services Downtown, Midtown, and a few other neighborhoods. Almost ten bus lines criss-cross the city and service just about every nieghborhood. Several lines that service Downtown are at full capacity, and plans are being made for one, big line that will circle around the city and the entire metro area.

Perhaps the biggest chokepoint for traffic is the Dipton Bridge, which runs over the Miskatonic River and connects the eastern half of the city with the western half. Built in 1942, and the sole means of getting across the river, it bears the wieght of thousands of vehicles every day, and is very old. City officials must consider building a new bridge, although demolishing the old one will prove to be an expensive task.

Finally, to wrap up the first update, here are a few pictures!

Broadway Avenue at night.

The Marina and Warehouse District.

And finally, the city at sunrise.

Stay tuned for another update in a few days!

Kitsunebi

Postby Kitsunebi » 10 April 2011, 06:51

Mate... this is awesome! :D Well you know yourself that the traffic is a problem and apparently you're working on different solutions, so I'll not talk about that ;) After all, the traffic map is a nice way to show the layout of the city and although there are some grid sections, I really do like it! :) The distant views of your city are still stunning, but how about some close up pics of downtown and China Town... or Phillips Island? And what is that south-west of Hamilton? 8-) Can't wait to see more :D
... quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

Return to “City Showcase”