Monroe - Large Update 9/25/2011: Clarkson

Moderator: Focus Team

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Re: Monroe - Update 9/14/2011 (Finally!)

Postby snick25 » 15 September 2011, 22:45

macko123456 wrote:Don't forget to visit Brandon!

Hehe, don't worry, I'll make sure I do. ;)

Ofir

Postby Ofir » 16 September 2011, 20:30

Love it!! great work! you should be very proud ;)

Rome101

Postby Rome101 » 16 September 2011, 20:41

Best, city, ever. And the photoshopping makes some pictures look completley realistic. How'd you do it?

snick25

Postby snick25 » 16 September 2011, 22:48

Thanks Ofir and Rome101! I really appreciate your comments. :)

As for the clouds, I usually either take photos myself of clouds or download them from the internet, edit out the sky in the game screenshot, and replace them with the sky from the photos. I may also ajust the lighting/hue/saturation so that the sky and the horizon "blend" togther more realistically. ;)

snick25

Monroe - Update 9/18/2011: Parkside and Midtown

Postby snick25 » 19 September 2011, 04:00

Hey all, here's another update. I got this all done in a few hours, so hopefully I will be able to do several more updates in the near future. ;)

Here we go...

Parkside

Parkside is a pleasant neighborhood made up of mostly Skilled Workers, and a few Executives. It gets its name from Victory Park, which was built in 1917 after World War I ended. Many people were thrilled over the victory and the city had a lot of money to spend, so Victory Park was built.

At the center of Victory Park, a a memorial stands to commemorate American soldiers from Monroe who died in World War I. It is a regional landmark, and is a must-see for every visitor going through the city.

The park is the neighborhood's centerpiece, but many areas here are lush and green. Like Rocheford, the buildings here are old and many streets are lined with trees.

Below is another street, which leads towards Midtown.

Speaking of Midtown, here's, well.... Midtown!

Midtown

Midtown is obviously close to the heart of the city. It consists of a mix of mid-rises and high-rises, and has a good amount of all four wealth groups living there. Due to it's location, Midtown experiences many of the benefits of being close to the city center with hardly any of the side effects (for example, traffic congestion). Many new housing developments are being constructed here, including several new high-rise apartment buildings.

Business also benefit from what I like to call the "Midtown Effect", and a large business park resides here. The Midtown Crossing Business Park contains several large and prominent companies, who prefer this greener and slightly calmer neighborhood as compared to the hustle and bustle of Downtown.

The business park can be seen for miles at night, and shines even brighter than the tallest buildings in the city's skyline.

Dodge Street, one of the main arteries of the city, runs right through Midtown and, although it is busy and crowded, it also carries plenty of business and tourist traffic. Hotels and some office high-rises line this "street".

Near Dodge Street, stores and movie theaters are plentiful. The Midtown Globe Theater, shown below, earns a huge profit and is center for nightlife.

Oddly enough, some of the city's earliest skyscrapers are also located in Midtown. The New York Life Insurance Building, to the left of the picture below, was constructed in 1888, and completed in 1889. At center-right, you can see the Monroe National Bank Building. Constructed in 1908, it is also one of the oldest high-rises in the city. Both buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places.

However, as I mentioned earlier, Midtown is constantly changing. Several new housing and office developments are in the works, and they will probably replace some of the low rent, mixed-use buildings you see below.

That's all for this update! Hopefully, I'll have another update for you in the next few days. It will be big, so watch out. ;)

Denco

Re: Monroe - Update 9/18/2011: Parkside and Midtown

Postby Denco » 19 September 2011, 04:30

Do you take your own pictures for the sky, or do you find them all on the internet??
By the way, awesome job!!! :D :D :D
A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success."
Lesson here folks is don't graduate.

Qorten

Postby Qorten » 19 September 2011, 13:28

I just keep being amazed by your pictures, snick25! Can't wait to see some of your other cities when you're finished showing us Monroe (but I think we're far from done with Monroe, aren't we?).

snick25

Postby snick25 » 19 September 2011, 22:58

Thanks for your comments, both of you! :)

Denco: I do both, although lately I have been getting most of them through the internet. ;)
Qorten: Thanks, and yes, there is plenty more to come. 8-)

Also, as a side note to everyone, my photo in the Best of CXL '11 Photo Contest is up for a final vote. I would like to thank everyone who voted in round one of the contest! :)

I would greatly appreciate if you all would go to XL Nation and vote for this final round. If you like one of the other two photos better, please vote for them! They deserve credit for their beautiful pictures. ;) There are links in my signature.

Thank you! :)

Marczyk

Postby Marczyk » 19 September 2011, 23:05

Hi, I'm new here - coulod you please tell me how you're able to build as much ways out of city, one near to next one. Is is a mod(?), or I'm just missing something inside the game?

Like it is here: lot's of city enterings near by each other... how?

snick25

Postby snick25 » 19 September 2011, 23:31

Hey Marczyk,

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you have looked at my CJ. :)

About the road connections, there is a simple way that you can build them close together. Just pause the game, and build as many as you want! For some reason, the game doesn't register that the citylink resource is being depleted when the game is in pause, and therefore, you can build several road connections very close together. However, once you unpause the game and leave it running for a while, you won't be able to connect any more roads in that area, so be careful!

I hope this helps. ;)

Return to “City Showcase”