[Huge City] Sheona Plains 7,510,727 people

Moderator: Focus Team

youngcitybuilderg

Re: [Huge City] Sheona Plains 7,510,727 people

Postby youngcitybuilderg » 23 April 2011, 21:17

@snick25 thanks for the response. What your saying is i should start low desnsity zoning, and work it up as I move toward the city center? where i live now only has one sky scraper, if you can even call it a sky scraper, of 10 floors tall. Because of this, i dont really know much about city skylines and how to make them realistic. :D

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Postby snick25 » 23 April 2011, 21:55

youngcitybuilderg wrote:@snick25 thanks for the response. What your saying is i should start low desnsity zoning, and work it up as I move toward the city center?

Exactly, that's what I always do. I start out at the edge of the city and work my way in, at least if I'm playing on normal mode.

youngcitybuilderg wrote:where i live now only has one sky scraper, if you can even call it a sky scraper, of 10 floors tall. Because of this, i dont really know much about city skylines and how to make them realistic. :D

Well, here's a few examples:

Omaha, NE (my hometown)
http://www.travelphotoz.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Omaha,_Nebraska-OmahaNE_Aerial.jpg

Chicago, IL
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwaha/research/meetings/aaai07-ai-tube//2008/chicago.jpg

Atlanta, GA
http://atlmalcontent.typepad.com/atlmalcontent/images/2008/02/26/atlanta_pc_426_aerial_lg_3.jpg

Seattle, WA
http://www.uyau.com/usa-western/wa-seattle/images/MSC02_Seattle-City-View.jpg

Notice that in all the examples shown above, the area in which there are huge skyscrapers is very small compared to the rest of the city, which mainly consists of low-rises. Of course, it all depends on what you want to do. Cities in other areas of the world may be a bit different.

Again, there are a few city journals that might be worth seeing. They provide a good example. ;)

youngcitybuilderg

Postby youngcitybuilderg » 23 April 2011, 22:05

Thanks. this helps quite a bit :D

cobhris

Postby cobhris » 23 April 2011, 23:27

youngcitybuilderg wrote:@snick25 thanks for the response. What your saying is i should start low desnsity zoning, and work it up as I move toward the city center? where i live now only has one sky scraper, if you can even call it a sky scraper, of 10 floors tall. Because of this, i dont really know much about city skylines and how to make them realistic. :D

Generally, the area with skyscrapers should be relatively small compared to the rest of your city. Larger cities can have more skyscrapers, but what you want to avoid doing is having highrises from one end of the map to the other.

youngcitybuilderg

Postby youngcitybuilderg » 23 April 2011, 23:59

alright, i haven't started on my city yet, im trying to find a good map like Kongsvinger City (its in the City Showcase forum) i just can't figure out what map its on, but i like the map. I need a map that will let me build a creative realistic city. Any ideas? and on the skyscrapers, would they b mostly in the CBD, or somewhere else?

help is appreciated

-youngcitybuilderg

snick25

Postby snick25 » 24 April 2011, 01:39

youngcitybuilderg wrote:alright, i haven't started on my city yet, im trying to find a good map like Kongsvinger City (its in the City Showcase forum) i just can't figure out what map its on, but i like the map. I need a map that will let me build a creative realistic city. Any ideas? and on the skyscrapers, would they b mostly in the CBD, or somewhere else?

Kongsvinger City is on "The Mountain River" map, I believe. Some good starter maps would be the "The Wetlands", "The Shattered Coast", and " The Volcano". Those are the maps I have built my most sucessful cities on.

youngcitybuilderg

Postby youngcitybuilderg » 24 April 2011, 02:13

@snick25 I'm going to start on the wastelands, i looked at thay map and have seen a city or two on it and it looks good.

-youngcitybuilderg

cobhris

Postby cobhris » 24 April 2011, 06:59

youngcitybuilderg wrote:alright, i haven't started on my city yet, im trying to find a good map like Kongsvinger City (its in the City Showcase forum) i just can't figure out what map its on, but i like the map. I need a map that will let me build a creative realistic city. Any ideas? and on the skyscrapers, would they b mostly in the CBD, or somewhere else?

help is appreciated

-youngcitybuilderg

Skyscrapers would be concentrated either in a single CBD or in a couple of smaller business districts. Either way, they aren't just spread all over the city.

youngcitybuilderg

Postby youngcitybuilderg » 24 April 2011, 13:59

another question. the road layout, shout that be planned first or just thrown in as the city grows?

-youngcitybuilderg

mr-tom

Postby mr-tom » 24 April 2011, 14:31

You can make a case for either, and real world cities have undoubtedly been constructed using both methods, however if you plan ahead adequately, you should save yourself a lot of needless trouble.

Return to “City Showcase”