Lake Rover Preview: : Last Update 09/09/11

Moderator: Focus Team

Rome101

Lake Rover Preview: : Last Update 09/09/11

Postby Rome101 » 01 September 2011, 00:26

Hey everybody and welcome to my preview of Lake Rover - my first-ever city which has a purpose and a plan, and the only city so far I will build with forethought instead of just going with the flow and making stuff up as I go along.

The city is specially designed to feature some of the best mods in existence for this game, and it will not be complete until the NEXL team releases their much-waited-for, totally cool-looking extended transportation mod. And until they finish the job, I will show you guys what I'm planning to do with the city. Any questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.

And now, without further adieu, I present to you, LAKE ROVER.

Lake Rover is a giant-lake, fed by two mending rivers and threatened to be split in two by the ever-drying lake bed giving way to a land of harsh rocks and swampy terrain. Set in the map The Wastelands, the lake will be the bellybutton to many cities, districts and provinces, with varying population types and purposes. Experts have predicted it will require a large import of fuel and water - the rivers don't flow as much as they used to back in the day, and one stream is already somewhat polluted. Tourism is also an issue, for Lake Rover is a bland, deserted place in the middle of nowhere. But we will get to that later.

Meanwhile, let's see what we have got made.

This is an overview of Lake Rover, North of map being true North on compass. I have designated several areas, though noticeably not all, using my supreme photoshopping skills. The undesignated areas will be previewed and explained later on, but meanwhile let's go through the map keys:
Blue Circle = Great Cristo Redentor monumental park, home to the Cristo Redentor statue of Jesus Christ overlooking the river and its surrounding satellite towns. I'll be using Advanced Terraforming Options mod to make this into a giant mountain with a spiraling road going up around it.
Dark Red Squares = Designated industrial parks. Will be filled with many industrial facilities and densely-placed factories, to allow me to support my city. I've tried my best for a fair distribution of the industrial zones so no major pollutants will affect the landscape, but something tells me I will need to import more or designate more ground for factories. We'll see when the harbor mod comes out and so on. I might use a big harbor to feed my extra industrial needs, or I'll just import most of the goods. Time will tell.
Big Red Circle = Designated Park Area. Going to be mega-huge with lots of monuments, blueprints and countryside-inspired tourism zones. Comes complete with a big-ass campus, which might be built on the other side of the river if I run out of room.
Triangular Cayenne Triangle Which Seems To Have Landed There By Accident (also this color probably makes your eyes hurt a little) = First marina. Will house a yacht club, a wharf, coastal zone and maybe a boardwalk boulevard... I need Pharmist's future mods for this, so its final planning will have to wait.

As you can see, I have already laid out the major traffic infrastructure to allow good flow of citizens and freight. I'd soon construct extensive underground systems for freight and public transportation (metro, bus lines, who knows. NEXL will be used here). There will be three levels here - first is the normal above ground level for public transport, passengers and public services vehicles; second is a freight level, providing all the necessary import/export the city needs in designated roads, concealed from the peaceful and clean-aired city landscape above; third is an extension to private transportation, if such will be needed - it will include metro lines, bus lines, taxis and underground freeways for the public and state's services to use so they can get from one place to another in a jiffy.

Tomorrow I will review all the different districts you can see in the picture, including the nearly-invisible medieval community (see if you can spot where it is in the photos above!) and a neighborhood specially designed to feature Alex's wonderful European buildings! Stay tuned tomorrow for more of Lake Rover, to get a true glimpse at how the city will shape up. And let me tell you a little secret: there's a small slight hint in the text above, OMG!

As per William's request, here are poscard pictures of the map:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... n0044.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27 ... n0042.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/53 ... n0043.jpg/
Hope you enjoy it, William!
Last edited by Rome101 on 09 September 2011, 17:43, edited 4 times in total.

WilliamL

Re: EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW! My First Pre-Planned City: Lake Rover

Postby WilliamL » 01 September 2011, 02:08

This looks really good and you havent started to build yet! :) Could we get a "postcard" picture of it aswell? :)

Good Luck!

X-Flame

Postby X-Flame » 01 September 2011, 10:26

Looks impressive. Which map are you using?

Rome101

Re: Lake Rover

Postby Rome101 » 01 September 2011, 16:45

Thanks for the comments :)
As I've said before, I'm using The Wastelands.

Now, as promised, I hereby present you the satellite towns which will surround Lake Rover:

First up, we have here the base for Unnamed_Town_01. Any suggestions regarding a name will be appreciated - I'm not very creative when it comes to naming things.
01 is a low-class town, providing the necessary land for the basic industries in the state. Not a prestigious place to live in, but a vital cornerstone to the entire state and a beautiful place non the less.
It will feature living quarters for the economically-imbalanced residents of Lake Rover, a small community center of retailers and cultural activities, as well as a leisurely park. Overall we're looking at a very peaceful suburb.

Over from the other side of the lake and not too far away down the road, we have Oakland - a high-class residential town which nearly integrates into 01.
Featuring mediocre-sized apartments for the Executives, a boardwalk, a marina and yacht club and a park of its own, Oakland is what 01 wishes it would have been. Oakland is the local hub for sports activities and cultural highpoint, and on Saturday nights its beaches become extensively busy as teenagers and young adults fill the many coffee shops, bars, restaurants and urban parks, the locals are toasting to the joy of the good life with their neighbors and outsiders are spending their nights out there, imagining what it would be like if they could afford to live there. It's a marvel of retail and a prosperous area, though it is under the constant threat of growing into a highrise-filled urban center. Fame has its costs, and every Oaklander worries that one day his utopian posh life will come to an end.

But while Oakland is fearing over-population, Oceania is actually embracing it.
Oddly placed between farms, bridges and tunnels, this dense town is ferociously mixing low-class workers with high-class citizens to create the impression that the houses just fell off from space and accidentally landed near each other. Under constant reconstruction and renovation, the mix of old and new leaves very little room for spacious vistas. Oceania is doing whatever it can not to interrupt the farmers from harvesting their extremely fertile land, but highrise buildings would soon begin to sprout from the Western end, and some day, they will inevitably reach the Eastern front, shading their agricultural surroundings with towers of metal and glass.
But violent repulses aside, Oceania is home to Lake Rover's largest aquatic neighborhoods, and although not many tourists choose to visit them, Oceania's waters are interestingly wild. Seismic activity of minor proportions has led to the creation of a fairly enthusiastic surfers village, who found their favorite sport to be the waves caused by seismic movements.
Oceania is also home to one of the best Highschools in the country, and is the first stop on the way to the uber-luxurious Bankridge University, which will be exposed in the next preview.

That's it for today, I hope you enjoyed. I tried to provide as colorful descriptions as my English allows, since the city is not yet built and everything ;)

WilliamL

Postby WilliamL » 02 September 2011, 01:48

Perhaps a name could be "Triangle Bay"? or "Sucre"

cool wetlands dosent look like that to me, mine is much more "lighter" in the ground texture.

Rome101

Postby Rome101 » 02 September 2011, 21:15

Probably just a matter of Gamma Correction.

I'm currently working on setting up Cyprus Park, a medium-sized handmade monument with a hiking trail and hilltop lake. Terraforming is a bitch, I tell you that.

A picture of the half-finished hill, taken from the other side of the park (which is divided by the expressway)

And a picture of the lake on top. You can see that one side is done with trees and trail and all the terraforming it requires.

As you can clearly see, the park is far from done. Once I finish it, I'll present you the rest of the residential districts. The update next will showcase the industrial districts and hopefully NEXL will come out by the time I'd present the campus, park and everything else.

Rome101

Cyprus Park

Postby Rome101 » 03 September 2011, 20:43

New Update!!

This time around we'll take a look around Cyprus Park, a large terraforming project I undertook as small tutorial before I build the O Cristo Redentor mountain.

I warn you, this is a picture-heavy post! You can access the gallery here, though it offers only photos with no text. Alternatively you can see a slideshow, here. That said, I strongly advise you to bare with me through the long post, to get a better understanding of the process behind building the park and its in-game story.

Enough going around the bush though, it's time to review the park. And what better place do we have to do that, if not in in its very start?

Meet Park Intersection:
To the right of the expressway, we have Cyprus Park itself. On the left, we can see St. Marry's Hill, and that will be our first stop.
For the history enthusiasts, here's an introduction to St. Marry's Hill:

Ancient Indian folklore tells a story about a Spanish nun who arrived to the Americas with one of the very first Spanish Conquistador missions. She was a part of an expedition to go up the Northern America and map the area, but only a couple of weeks into their voyage, the expedition encountered an Indian ambush. Most of the men were butchered or injured and captured, and only a couple of soldiers manages to head back ashore. The Spanish assumed the captured expedition, Mother Marry among them, was executed. While this was true for the men of the expedition, the Indians decided to spare Mother Marry.

They lodged her along as slave, and even though they couldn't speak to each other, Mother Marry grew fond on the Indians. She was treated well and was even allowed to continue practice Christianity. The Indians fed her, gave her clean water and provided her with shelter when it rained. The Indians planned to take her back to Anadarko, a big Aztec city located on the delta of The Great Moon River, as it was called by the locals. They thought the city king will find interest in a person of another world and of different religion.

Eventually they reached the Moon River, and followed downstream. They should have circled around the Lago de Rouvara ("Lake Of Life" in Aztec), passed the Sun River and finally reach Anadarko. But the landscape has changed since they left, as earthquakes sculptured the horizon.
The Aztecs, carrying Mother Marry, started making their way up a nearby mountain range to overlook the area and see if Anadarko was harmed. Upon reaching the top of the nearby hill, they felt the earth rumbling. They couldn't stir their eyes away as they witnessed a powerful quake burring their sacred city of Anadarko under rubble and earth.
The legend tells that they committed suicide right there, by mutually stabbing each other in a circle of blood. And Mother Marry was there at the center.

According to the old tale, Mother Marry bent down on her knees and said prayer. Knowing she had no way of making it out alive from the jungle, she prayed for God to take her up to the heavens. She prayed consistently for three days and three nights without stopping before she died of thirst. She died finishing her 1000th Hail Marry, and the skies darkened and it begun to rain. It rained for three days and three nights, pouring down on her body. This how, according to the ancient tale, St. Marry's Lake was formed on top of the hill, which is now named after her. It is said that her Skeleton still lies in the bottom of the lake, holding a cross and prayer beads and surrounded by ancient remnants of Aztec bones. Nobody ever tried to find out if this is true, and most people will agree that this question is better left unanswered.

The start of St. Marry Trail:

A look down from one of the corners. Please note that this is MORNING in the picture, but the dense forest leaves no room for the sunbeams to go through. I had to actually increase the gamma here before uploading the picture, because it was way too dark:

Another picture of the trail:

After a long journey uphill, hikers will get to St. Marry Lake. It's a rough journey, but the defiant and able are treated with wonderful vistas.
The Lake:

One of the viewpoints at night:

And in the early morning, overlooking Cyprus Park:

Viewpoint 2, looking north towards the future industrial zone:

And now, Cyprus Park. It's way north of 01 (which is now named Riveria), on the expressway. Riveria residents can use Line 133 to get there. It has been originally built to provide Oceania residents - specifically, moms with babies and small children to care after - with a getaway from their hissing city. It soon became a favored place for Oaklanders to go out with their dates, and many Riverians who work at the agricultural fields on the outskirts of Oceania often sell their goods in Cyprus Park's market.

Cyprus Park main entrance, across from St. Marry Trail and defaulted out of the Interstate 33 (the expressway):

Pictures from various locations in the park:

Cyprus Park's circular market, where Riverians sell their goods:

An overview of the park from the other bank of Moon River:

The whole place at night:

A view of Cyprus Shaft. It is usually infested with drunken and homeless people at night, so caution is advised when strolling the treelines trails of the park after evening:

And from the avenue above:

Overlooking south, towards Riveria and Oakland:
While it seems the river is blocked by the flower-decorated street, it actually houses a filtration system to counter the water pollution caused by the industries up north. Pro-Green groups around the county are not satisfied, however, and they demand more action towards minimizing the damage the factories inflict upon the lake and its many fishes

Concluding our review of Cyprus Park is a postcard picture from St. Marry Lake on top of the hill, overlooking Cyprus Park, Oceania and the inner-linear (as of yet unnamed) CBD. In the distance are Riveria and Oakland, and you can also catch a glimpse of Verdant Bluffs way out in the horizon.

Thank you all for your attention, I really hope you enjoyed this presentation. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome :)

See you in a couple of days, when we will hopefully see the O' Cristo Redentor mountain. Asta La Vista!

Edit:
P.S. Oh yeah, and William asked so nicely, so I've updated the opening post with some postcrad pictures of the map :mrgreen:

macko123456
Mid 2011 Awards - Best City Journal

Re: Lake Rover - HUGE Update, featuring Cyprus Park!

Postby macko123456 » 03 September 2011, 22:29

I really, really like how this city's coming along. You've planned everything so well!

I'm actually rather jealous. I don't think I have the patience to do things so . . . well, correctly. I tend to rush into building and see what comes out the other side. I envy your ability to structure things.
JAMES ACKERMAN FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012!
VISIT BRANDON: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3544

Rome101

Postby Rome101 » 03 September 2011, 22:40

Jealous? Not in a million years will I be able to depict a coastline as beautiful as Brandon's!
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/9666 ... ndonri.jpg

The scape of your city is nothing to be ashamed of. But thanks a lot for the comment, coming from a City Journal Award Winner is definitely something to note ;)

macko123456

Postby macko123456 » 03 September 2011, 23:48

Aw . . . I'm blushing now :oops:

Trust me, Brandon came as a result of lots of attempts. The amount of times I rebuilt things . . . someday I'll plan a city like yours (I hope).
JAMES ACKERMAN FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012!
VISIT BRANDON: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3544

Return to “City Showcase”