[MOD]: Ploppable Sandbox (updated 20/04/2011)

Moderator: Focus Team

Elmo
Moderator ; End 2010 Award - Best User Requested Mods

[MOD]: Ploppable Sandbox (updated 20/04/2011)

Postby Elmo » 19 November 2010, 03:36

Name
Ploppable Sandbox

Author: Elmo

The mod has been requested by afteq and many others in the mod request thread (http://forum.citiesxl.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1163) and other topics.

The mod has been updated to allow more freedom in what sandbox features you use in your cities, as requested by mcsnetworks, scoobie, mikemonk and luiscurtolo.

Note: The mod is incompatible with El L.A.V.'s modification of my original mod (viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1813)
The mod is compatible with all other mods, including all versions of the Unlocker mod.

Special thanks to pharmist for helping me modify the names and descriptions of the sandbox buildings!

Description

This mod adds 20 new buildings to the utilities menu. All of them have relevant names & descriptions and somewhat relevant look to what they actually provide your city with.

- 10 of the buildings provide your city with all the tradable resources it needs - food, electricity, fuel, waste, water, offices, heavy industry, manufacturing industry, hi-tech industry and holidays. Each building provides you with a single resource so you can choose which ones you want to get from the sandbox.

- 2 of the buildings provide your city with the other resources - hotel services and retail services

- The transport Hub building which provides maximum satisfaction with freight & passenger services and serves as a city link, providing freight and passengers trade capacity.

- 4 of the buildings provide your city with jobs for all citizen classes - 85% for one of the classes and 5% for each of the other 3. Check the buildings' descriptions to see which citizen class do they provide the major part of the jobs to. No citizens will get employed in those buildings until all other buildings that require workers of the relevant class have enough employees. This ensures that all important buildings in your city have enough workers to avoid any problems and allows you to easily grow the city.

- The Paradigm building, which makes your citizens completely satisfied with all city services - education, health, security, fire safety, leisure and environment.

- The 2 buildings originally present in the first version of the mod. One of them provides you with the resources (water, waste, electricity, fuel, food, heavy industry, manufacturing industry, high-tech industry, offices and holidays). The other one provides an equal amount of jobs for each citizen class (unskilled, skilled, executives, elites).

None of the buildings require any employees (except the ones that provide jobs only). None of them emit pollution. The buildings that provide jobs have been balanced to cause less traffic problems on the roads around them. They should not cause traffic jams as long as you build them on big roads with sufficient connections to the rest of your city. They can be built in the city centre, too.

Warning: Once you construct any of these buildings in a city and save it, deleting the mod will cause the game to crash if you try to load that particular city. However, destroying the added buildings before deleting the mod causes no crashes when entering the city. This is inevitable when using any mod that adds extra structures for you to build.
The mod does not affect cities in which the added buildings have not been built.

Version
Updated 20/04/2011

Installation
Download the file below and copy it into the Cities XL 2011 paks folder (default location: C:\Program Files\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011\paks)
Then start the game as usual. The mod will be loaded automatically. Delete the mod in case it makes the game crash while loading (I never had that problem).

Download

The complete mod (recommended): http://xlnation.net/content/ploppable-sandbox
Broken down version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3vqjdyqasn1jw8q/elmod_sandbox_individual_mods.zip (requested by Rene)

Have fun playing!
Last edited by Elmo on 21 November 2010, 13:40, edited 4 times in total.

mcsnetworks

Re: [MOD]: Sandbox All in One

Postby mcsnetworks » 19 November 2010, 06:30

Can you make a version that doesn't affect Industry/Offices/High Tech/Manuf.

Love the +tokens to all resources, that equals EpIc WiN.

Evergreen

Postby Evergreen » 19 November 2010, 07:55

Installed you're mod but game crashed after a few minutes. ( till now never had a crash). Still think its a good mod although in mine opinion it's to much off everything. :)

mcsnetworks

Postby mcsnetworks » 19 November 2010, 08:15

The Utilites Mod, the one that adds all the low priority jobs kills High-Tech businesses thare are close to it. The available freight drops to near zero, quality of life drops and the businiess go out of business.

Doesn't appear to affect any other type from what I can tell.

Elmo

Postby Elmo » 19 November 2010, 15:00

mcsnetworks wrote:Can you make a version that doesn't affect Industry/Offices/High Tech/Manuf.

Love the +tokens to all resources, that equals EpIc WiN.

Sure, will do it asap

Evergreen wrote:Installed you're mod but game crashed after a few minutes. ( till now never had a crash). Still think its a good mod although in mine opinion it's to much off everything. :)

That's odd. If the mod causes problems then the game should crash immediately. Could you please post the error log that you get with the crash?

mcsnetworks wrote:The Utilites Mod, the one that adds all the low priority jobs kills High-Tech businesses thare are close to it. The available freight drops to near zero, quality of life drops and the businiess go out of business.

Doesn't appear to affect any other type from what I can tell.

1. I will check the high tech problem when I get home tonight. The modded building probably emits pollution, which high tech industries dislike.

2. The available freight drops if you trade any of the resources you get from the building.

3. Quality of life probably drops because of the low priority of the jobs. I tried to investigate that before I posted the mod but it got quite late, so I will check it tonight. Anyway, I think that the low priority affects the job satisfaction of the people who work there. If I increase the priority then some other important buildings will lose their workers, like the city hall or bus & metro buildings and lines. There is another way of dealing with the satisfaction though, but it will probably take me a few days to mod.

Evergreen

Postby Evergreen » 19 November 2010, 16:19

Don't know for sure now if it was you're mod , placed utility centre in a new city and till now no crash. The first time i've placed it in a city i already had , maybe it was a crash
as told here on the forum.

Evergreen

Postby Evergreen » 19 November 2010, 16:56

Great mod , i've created a city named My Storage with a few utility centre and as much freight i can make. So now I have my own Omnicorp. :lol:

scoobie

Re: [MOD]: Ploppable Sandbox

Postby scoobie » 26 November 2010, 00:46

great mod, BUT....

ONE HUGE OVERSIGHT! (unless my mod is weird)..

you say the 2nd building which produces thousands of job is a "Small Business Hotel"

for me that building was a Small Utilities building.. WHICH CREATES HORRIBLE QUALITY OF LIFE!!! Meaning I can't place it in my downtown core (next to offices) where I want it since surrounding offices become affected by quality of life and they lose money..

please let me know if you have a fix for this where the building is indeed a small business hotel..

PS I tried building Small hotels (biz and luxury) to see if maybe I overlooked that but no, it only works for small utility building which creates too much bad life quality..

please fix otherwise GREAT, GREAT app and first building works for me... no crashes, thanks..

PPS It seems that Bad Quality of life with surrounding work buildings only affects Profitability and not # of workers employed, is this correct? thanks again

keeda

Postby keeda » 26 November 2010, 04:52

The second building is the "small business hotel/motel" and it is listed in the utilities menu along with the small utilities building. I can understand the horrible quality of life issues because this hotel will create 60k jobs for just one building. so if you plop it in your city center you are going to have issues as is will continue to hire all of your unemployed people. This will create noise polution, traffic issues, etc around the area where placed. maybe I am reading you wrong and if so please forgive me. I have been using this mod in test cities and it works as advertised. I use it when I need to get a large employed population quickly to test functionality of the game. I get the citizens quickly from another mod....

Elmo

Postby Elmo » 26 November 2010, 22:29

keeda wrote:[...]I can understand the horrible quality of life issues because this hotel will create 60k jobs for just one building. so if you plop it in your city center you are going to have issues as is will continue to hire all of your unemployed people. This will create noise polution, traffic issues, etc around the area where placed. maybe I am reading you wrong and if so please forgive me....

Not exactly. Offices and industries don't care about traffic problems or noise pollution.
I think I know where the issue is - air pollution emitted from the buildings. I need to check that but I've been extremely busy lately, and I apologise for the lack of updates.

keeda wrote:The second building is the "small business hotel/motel" and it is listed in the utilities menu along with the small utilities building

Correct.

Evergreen wrote:Great mod , i've created a city named My Storage with a few utility centre and as much freight i can make. So now I have my own Omnicorp. :lol:

That's a wonderful idea! Haven't thought about it. I recommend this to everyone who has issues with this mod (or at least with the building that provides resources). Anyway, I will try to fix them asap.

Return to “Custom Content Forum”