Pharmist Mod Experiments

Moderator: Focus Team

simonlp

Re: Pharmist Mod Experiments

Postby simonlp » 21 April 2011, 09:24

Hyperwolf wrote:
Anyways here is the mod. It should work for default and USA roads. Let me know if you have any problems. Download

Could you create a mod to allow highway intersections for all road types, not just USA and default? Please :-) Any other mods you can share with us Hyperwolf? Like the one that decreases the collision field?

pharmist
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Mod ; End 2010 Award - Best Mod (In Progress)

Postby pharmist » 21 April 2011, 14:49

@simonlp..... Hi, thanks for sharing your opinion about the Wooden Bridge PP... :) Yes,I agree with you the support posts should look more similar to the deck boards. This should be no problem to edit the texture of the posts.. :)

@hebl.... Thanks for you opinion and questions... :) About using any object as a support structure. This was the first time I tried this but think it would be possible to use other objects that fit also.

About the tunnel depth, I have been working on this off and on for a while. I have removed the collision properties from the tunnel pieces hoping this would solve the problem however I can still not build the tunnels any shallower. There is obviously a piece that I am missing that still has collision properties. I will make another attempt at this next week to see if I find a solution this time... :)

@cheuk18me94.... Hi, yes you are correct, it looks like I will be able to stack the bridge support pieces on top of each other to increase the height. I am not sure how they will look though as the bridge supports are not symmetrical as the Wooden Bridge support Posts, but I will give it a try next week.

About the Stone bridge in the other sizes. I am sorry but I tried to change the scale of the bridge pieces so we could make different sizes, however it seems the scale can not be changes. This means I cannot make the other sizes until we can import 3D models.. :(

About the road interchange with roundabouts. Please check your messages as I have sent you one about this.. :)

@Rene x5...... Hello, thank you for using our experiments and sharing your opinions and questions... :) When I made the 8-Lane road my intention was not to replace the Highway with it. This is the reason I did not make the Traffic capacity the same as the Highway. I felt that with the ability to have intersections this should decrease the capacity some.

Since I have made the 8-Lane road many members have been using it as a substitute for the Highway and creating their own interchanges with roads. We can all discuss if I should change the traffic capacity of the 8-Lane road to be the same as the Highway.

My new friend Hyperwolf has been kind to show you that it is possible to edit the files to allow the connection of the 8-Lane road and the Highway. We can also discuss if I should edit the files to allow the 8-Lane road to connect directly to the Highway.

About your concern over the size of the 8-Lane road patch. These roads should not use any more resources then any other roads in the game. The size of the Patch is this large because I had to include New Texture Files I created specifically for this road. Most of the other roads I create use the included textures from the game so their files are not large... :)

Please continue to provide Feedback and share your opinions and ideas about the experiments when you have time. This information is very valuable to me as it allows us to make the better experiments.. :D

@Hyperwolf x4.... Hi, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and posting the link to your experiment allowing the Highway to connect to the 8-Lane road.... :D I really appreciate this and I know the other members do also. Because I very seldom use the Highways I did not think about the problem Rene was having until now. I think this will be a good discussion to have if members would like this ability for the 8-Lane road with all country road types... :)

@peluche.... Hi, thanks for sharing the link to the water plaza, now maybe I can make the Canal Road... :D I agree with you about the support color. I will make some new ones using the textures you shared earlier to post for you and the other members to critique next week.. :D

I have also fixed the problem about not be able to build the Wooden Bridge PP on water. You can now place it right at the water level if you want... :D

@simonlp..... Hello again... :D It appears that others will be interested in this capability. We should all discuss this more on how to proceed. Lets us hear HyperWolfs opinion, maybe the Mod could be extended to include all Country road types... :)

-pharmist
Please visit my first page for a list of all Experiments:
First Page Link

You can also visit my Under Construction Web Site:
Pharmist Mod Experiments

hebl

Postby hebl » 21 April 2011, 15:37

pharmist wrote:We can also discuss if I should edit the files to allow the 8-Lane road to connect directly to the Highway.

Hell, yeah! uhm .. :oops: I mean, yes, we'd very much like to have that, please :D

cheuk18me94

Postby cheuk18me94 » 21 April 2011, 15:59

@Pharmist
What is the original size of the bridge support and what kinds of bridges can you make with support? That means you cannot have stone bridge for large avenue, 6 lane road and 8 lane road? What a bad news!
For the unlocker of the interchange, I would like to know if I can connect highway in both side of the road interchange without roundabout?
And could you remove the trees for the cityxl bouleyard bridge?
And I would like to know the news about the pedestrian bridges and pedestrian paths with different textures in different sizes. Thanks!

pharmist

Postby pharmist » 21 April 2011, 16:27

@hebl..... Hi, thanks for your humorous answer.. :D This makes me :lol: :lol: So far we have a consensus to allow the 8-Lane road to connect to the Highway. Let us see if any more members offer there opinion, which I hope very much they will.. :)

@cheuk18me94.... Hi, did you get my message with the Link to test the new Patch... :) Please let me know if it works properly this time.

About the size of the Stone Bridge available:
1) 10 unit wide
2) 15 unit wide
3) 20 unit wide
4) 25 unit wide
5) 40 unit wide.

I have already made a Stone Bridge for the 6-Lane road which is 40 unit wide. I have also made Stone Bridge for the 20 unit Snowy road and 20 unit medieval road. These are the only sizes I can make unless I think of some other idea then changing the scale which did not work. The main problem is with the Bridge Deck, not the supports. I could make a bridge with out the Bridge Deck, only using the support piers but this would look very strange. If I could find a suitable piece to place along side the road that looked like a barrier like the Bridge Deck then maybe we could still create Stone bridges of different sizes.

About the road interchange without roundabouts. Yes you can still connect the Highway to both sides. The side that has the snapping issue, you must drag the Highway to the Intersection and a connection will be made. I will still try to find the problem in the layout file that cause this.

About removing the trees from the Large Avenue, I will put this on my list and get to it as soon as possible.. :)

About the Pedestrian Paths(PP's), I will try to spend some time next week on a PP update.

About the different sizes of PP's. I will be glad to make larger PP's, but lets get some opinions from the other members also as to which sizes I should make.. :)

-pharmist
First Page Link

Pharmist Mod Experiments

Hyperwolf

Postby Hyperwolf » 21 April 2011, 16:49

Ok I updated this mod that allows intersections with highways. It now supports ALL road types. Here is the updated version: Download

From left to right: Genius XL Boulevard -- Highway -- 8-Lane Road (These are just examples, it should work with all roads)

@Pharmist - Thanks for the complement I know you have a long list of things to do so I just thought I would help out if a member requests something I am capable of doing (which is very limited lol) Anyway this mod is extremely simple I just changed the "allow intersection" tag to "1" on all highways for all road types.

Now on a different note I would like to know if this is possible; I often use your PP paths as borders when I make detailed plazas because they are skinnier than all other roads. Lately I also used one of your PP paths as a "barrier in the middle of my highway system:

Now my question is this: Can you make a super-skinny path that can be used to make walls or detailed plazas? I think the smaller paths you made have a width of 5. Can you make one with a width of 1?

youngcitybuilderg

Postby youngcitybuilderg » 22 April 2011, 01:44

@Pharmist on the bus stops, i was just wondering about having them along the sidewalks

thanks

cheuk18me94

Postby cheuk18me94 » 22 April 2011, 10:43

@Pharmist
I have tried the mod of the road exchange without roundabout and the good news is the road interchange with roundabout is back and I can build it in my city :D
The bad news is that there are some problems for the road interchange without roundabout, one side of the interchange has a snapping issue as Pharmist stated, but some more problems associated with that issue are found.
The problem is that even I have connected the road interchange without roundabout with highway only and the other road interchange without roundabout is connected to the highway and a large avenue which is connected to the city hall, the road interchange without roundabout which only connects with the same highway will have an icon of no connection with the city, the only way to solve the problem is to delete that road interchange without roundabout and the highway connected and rebuild the road interchange without roundabout but to adjust the direction of the the side of the road interchange without snapping issue facing or just connect that interchange with the large avenue to solve the problem......
And please solve the problem, as now I am not really sure that the highway is really connected or not.
One strange thing I find is that the car prefer using the large avenue instead of highway. There is 2 routes from city centre to the airport in my city, One is enitrely highway(A) and the other one is large avenue first then highway afterward(B), and I find that the residents in my city all use route B and I check that the highway in between is not broken.....
So I would recommend you to solve this problem before uploading, otherwise there will be just some strange things happen.
And I just would like to remove trees of the cityxl bouleyard bridge only. There are really too many trees in that bridge. Thanks!
Last edited by cheuk18me94 on 22 April 2011, 14:49, edited 5 times in total.

Rene

Postby Rene » 22 April 2011, 10:54

You guys are great. Thanks Hyperwolf for the mod. Im currently using as my main road networks ingame highway, expressway and large avenue with Hyperwolfs highway intersection mod. It's great! I'm afraid as I have limited system (gfx 256mb) even large luxurious avenues consume more specs than large avenues, so at the moment im sticking with ingame options. But as I said Hyperwolf's hwy intersection mod is great and is a nice addon for 8 lane :)
A fine site xlnation.net and a big mod database xlnation.net/xlex

Check out all my Cities XL mods: Rene's Cities xl mods

pharmist

Postby pharmist » 22 April 2011, 16:51

@Hyperwolf.... Hi, you are most welcome Hyperwolf... :D You are the one who deserves the thank though for sharing your knowledge to help the other members and myself. I really appreciate this collaboration between us, I hope it can continue.. :)

Thanks for asking your question about the PP width and posting the picture showing how you used the PP as a barrier. This just gave me an idea... :ugeek: I wonder if I could use a pavement piece as a barrier for the different size Stone Bridges cheuk18me94 has asked me to make. I could stack several on top of each other to make a barrier on both sides of the bridge then give them a Stone texture to match the Stone Bridge supports. You are awesome, Thanks.. :D

Ok back to your question.. :lol: The narrowest size pavement pieces are 2.5 units wide. There is the wall piece that is used as the default road foundation you see when you raise a road above ground level. This piece is 0.5 units wide and we would have to bury most of it, but I am not sure if it has a texture on top. If you want walls we could just make a tool that lays the foundation wall only. You would lay it out like you do a road but all it would do is place a wall, no road. We should discuss this further.

@youngcitybuilderg.... Hi, thanks for answering my question.. :) No problem, I like Bus Stop ability on all roads.. 8-)

@cheuk18me94.... Hi, thanks for posting the great feedback on the Interchanges... :D It is good news the road interchange with roundabouts came back. It is bad news you are having problems with the road interchange without roundabouts. I will spend some more time looking at the layout file next week, but this file is huge. I know it is in the layout file somewhere... :) Their own programmers could not even figure out how to fix this so they deprecated it.. :o

I will say that I have tested the road interchange without roundabouts in 3 cities, USA, English, and Default. I also ran into problems sometimes with the no city hall connection but I just delete the highway section and rebuild it between the interchanges and all is ok. Remember with this interchange the traffic on the avenue can only enter the highway in one direction. You have to make a way for traffic to turn around so they can use the other side of the interchange and go in the opposite direction on Highway.

About the CXL boulevard you want the Trees removed. Which road exactly are you talking about.. :?: Do you mean the Large Avenue or Luxury Large Avenue? Or do you mean one of the roads I have created? Let me know so I can make the experiment for you next week.. :D

@Rene... Hi, thanks for sharing your feedback... :D Yes I agree HyperWolf deserves much thanks. Please continue to share any problems or requests and especially new ideas for content.. :)

-pharmist
First Page Link

Pharmist Mod Experiments

Return to “Custom Content Forum”