Special offer for Cities XL players

Moderator: Focus Team

Vince

Special offer for Cities XL players

Postby Vince » 08 October 2010, 17:34

We prepared an exceptional offer for the players that already own Cities XL (standard or limited edition). If this is your case and if you want to benefit from the offer, please take your Cities XL player key that you can find on the back of the game's instruction booklet (retail version) or that you have received by email (digital version) with you. This key will be requested when you order Cities XL 2011.

As a Cities XL player, you can benefit from a 50 % discount when you buy a digital copy of Cities XL 2011 in the official shop.

On October 14th, you will then receive your Cities XL 2011 activation key as well as the link to download the game and be one of the first to discover the numerous new features, the improvements and the huge content offered by Cities XL 2011!

Click here to benefit from the offer and order Cities XL 2011

int

Re: Special offer for Cities XL players

Postby int » 08 October 2010, 19:19

I want go have this offer inside steam, because I have all my buyed games in steam..

Andreis

Postby Andreis » 08 October 2010, 20:11

This should have been priced as an expansion from the onset.
Even at a 50% discount I have a hard time getting over the betrayal of that 2009 version.

The fact that you still continue to sell it to this day is abhorrent. I unfortunately fell victim to that scam, as I bought the 2009 game after you had already shut down the server.
At the time there was not even the slightest mention in the stores pages that this was going on. So I and many others end up spending around $40 US/ 40 euro on a game that does not work at all.
It's been in an unplayable state all this time and you are still selling it.
On top of that you want 40 dollars /40 euros (regional pricing w/o respect to exchange rates should also be a crime) for this version which we the players must hope is better than your last showing.

Even if you give me a 50% discount, I find it very hard to give my money to support a company that steps on the consumers like this. I suggest a demo version that shows the whole game on a limited time frame, like a day or two. This can be done with DRM btw, just make it log in to a server to run the demo ala steam.
I also must request that you stop overcharging the European market, this is a blatant slap in the face for them. You know you should be respecting exchange rates, we know that not doing so is a thinly veiled attempt to extract extra profit from the difference in markets. It's not even close to fair or justified in any way.

Short of this I will not be giving this one a second shot.

Without a demo and with such a bad impression on the first one you should also be prepared to see this one reach fairly high on the most pirated games of this year list.
When that happens try to understand that this represents people trying to get a look at what you have before putting their trust in you.

If I buy the new one, even with the discount, I will have basically paid $60 for a $40 game that works. For European players it's even worse since I would essentially be getting it a further discount due to exchange rates. I am not going to support a company that acts like this. Perhaps if you had released this as an expansion and then began work on something new and innovative with this as your base, the ROI would be better. You have to know that Monte Cristo is not going to result in a big return right away. You can't just fix bugs, plug in a few more buildings and sell it like it's a new game. That will not fix the betrayal of the original release.

I commend you for trying to make something of Monte Cristo's failure but you need to level with the players more.
While I can understand not releasing the new version as a free patch to the old one (after all, you did pay good money for Monte Cristo), I must emphasize to others that the original was a multiplayer game. That's what gave it most of it's appeal over Sim City games. When the multiplayer shut down, the game should have become what the 2011 game now is. Monte Cristo did not do this, so this "new game" turns out to actually be a patch for the old one.

To be clear:
-I realize the discount makes the new one priced as an expansion.
-I also understand that the producer has to try and make some profit off of their purchase.
-My issue is with this company's methods:
-Regional pricing w/o respect to exchange rates.
-Selling a broken game even still and a "Limited Edition"
-Pricing the 2011 (it's really just an expansion/bug fix) version at 40 dollars.
-They might have made more money in a more honest fashion if they had fixed the old game and build an honest to goodness new game.

pawz

Postby pawz » 08 October 2010, 21:24

Well said Andreis. There seems to be a lack of information on here, which does not give great confidence - it feels like you just want the money. I want to know if 2011 will have a single player option, and that it will be a proper game, with sound and activity and all the things you would expect to be in a game of that type before I spend yet more money on the product. I feel customers have been treated with contempt so far. Not at all impressed.

soltan gris

Postby soltan gris » 08 October 2010, 23:14

Wow.

Get off your high horse, will ya?
I never understood what gives you americans right to expect to be sold stuff cheaper! In the entire world electronics, games, clothes perfumes and whatnot costs at least 20 - 30% more expensive than in the US, and nobody complains about that! But come an american need something produced outside the US, and he immediately expects the same low price! What if it wasn't made in China with slave labor? Oh yes - you conveniently forget how and why your precious american goods are so cheap.....

Can you even for a moment think about all those people that work outside the US and expect their salaries within their respective economic situations? Which are based on their local markets, not the US dream-unrealistic discount market! That's why a company based in France, for example, could charge in euros, not in dollars, and then the price it deems economically viable for their local market, not the US market.
And what the hell you mean by respecting the exchange rates?????

There were ample warnings about shutting down the servers for the PO, the fact that you missed them is your problem and not this company's, which is not even the same that made Cities XL in the first place! They bought all the rights, and they can sell it as they wish. Nothing much different from any commercial practice anywhere in our precious capitalist economic system - where everyone tries to sell you stuff by not telling you the whole truth about it. Although you're right that they shouldn't be selling it without at least a warning that the multiplayer feature doesn't work anymore. I guess you could try sueing them. Still, there's the 50% discount to remedy the situation.

And if you're that much outraged, just don't buy CXL 2011.

corvock

Postby corvock » 09 October 2010, 02:00

I would happen to agree. I have been working to consolidate all my games into Steam, to the end of rebuying some i like a lot. I have CitiesXL and enjoy it, but without being able to take advantage of this deal within steam there is less value to it. Not knowing how the other end works, they may not have a mechanism to offer such deals to previous owners, but it is still a deal breaker for me.

--Ryan

Pandemic

Postby Pandemic » 09 October 2010, 07:48

Just got the email, I'm considering it, but I would appreciate it if it was available on STEAM at the same discount for Cities XL buyers.

neoonyx

Postby neoonyx » 11 October 2010, 18:21

soltan gris wrote:Wow.

I never understood what gives you americans right to expect to be sold stuff cheaper! In the entire world electronics, games, clothes perfumes and whatnot costs at least 20 - 30% more expensive than in the US, and nobody complains about that! But come an american need something produced outside the US, and he immediately expects the same low price! What if it wasn't made in China with slave labor? Oh yes - you conveniently forget how and why your precious american goods are so cheap.....

Can you even for a moment think about all those people that work outside the US and expect their salaries within their respective economic situations? Which are based on their local markets, not the US dream-unrealistic discount market! That's why a company based in France, for example, could charge in euros, not in dollars, and then the price it deems economically viable for their local market, not the US market.
And what the hell you mean by respecting the exchange rates?????

There were ample warnings about shutting down the servers for the PO, the fact that you missed them is your problem and not this company's, which is not even the same that made Cities XL in the first place! They bought all the rights, and they can sell it as they wish. Nothing much different from any commercial practice anywhere in our precious capitalist economic system - where everyone tries to sell you stuff by not telling you the whole truth about it. Although you're right that they shouldn't be selling it without at least a warning that the multiplayer feature doesn't work anymore. I guess you could try sueing them. Still, there's the 50% discount to remedy the situation.

And if you're that much outraged, just don't buy CXL 2011.

I have to say, in all sincerity, I love this post! As an American, it is actually interesting reading how others think about the way "we Americans" behave based on the comments or actions of one person. The fact is that the only reason we have cheap stuff in America is thanks to every other country and their slave labor. After insurance, taxes, and a plethora of other costs, the five cents per hour you pay one of those slave workers as you put it would be more like eight dollars an hour. For those of us with businesses or who own stock, THANK YOU CHINA! Though I appreciate the statement, I should slightly correct you: MOST Americans do not expect to be sold stuff cheaper...but its usually going to happen regardless of what the rest of the world believes. Think about it: when is the last time you heard of someone donating money to save all the starving Americans? At some point it will be in the bargain section of STEAM's website for $19.95 (or about 14.35 euros). Being a horrible and greedy American, I have enough to by it (even in euros) without much issue or the discount.

But I digress...you are correct about the servers as well. They made it no surprise that they were cancelling the service well in advance. Since I bought it for the single player features, that did not matter either. I guess in all it does come down to another feature of our capitalistic system: if you really have to complain about something, you probably should not have bought it anyways. After all, its just 14 euros at the discount or 29 without it. There is not that much outrage for a game of this caliber.

haydenread

Postby haydenread » 11 October 2010, 22:44

Another person here who would only take up this deal if it was available on Steam. As every game currently on my computer is through Steam.

groborg

Postby groborg » 16 October 2010, 13:53

soltan gris wrote:Wow.

I think you misunderstood Andreis' post. He was saying that the price in the EU should also be only $40.00 instead of EURO 40.00 (around $56).

For those saying they'll only buy this on Steam, the discount is also available over there. Just log-in to Steam and you should see the correct price provided that you also bout the old Cities XL on Steam.

Return to “News”