Solutions to crash games and getting your city BACK!

Moderator: Focus Team

SivCorp
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Tutorial

Solutions to crash games and getting your city BACK!

Postby SivCorp » 20 January 2011, 01:04

I have started this thread to pull all information together for solving city recovery efforts.

Possible crash issues and solutions...

Steam game -
Make sure it is updated. The steam version had a bug that has been fixed.

Mods -
Once a mod has been installed and you use it in a city, if you don't delete that plot in the city (building, texture, ect) and delete the modded .pak, the city will not be playable. Delete all mod buildings before deleting the pak.

Blueprints -
The game keeps a record of what blueprints have been placed EVEN IF YOU DELEAT THEM! This means that if you use a modded one and delete that mod from your pak folder then try to play your city again, it will crash.
Goldiva has posted a way of fixing this.
Goldiva wrote:I occasionally get the typical DBGhelp.dll crashes but it's not such a big deal as it tends to happen long into the game. However yesterday I started getting the "crash upon loading" problem with my 750,000 main city. Autosave and all 5 previous checkpoint saves all crashed upon load. I thought I have lost my main city forever. After much testing I have managed to load the city again. The offender/ culprit =
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011\live\offline\solo\solosaveregion00map00\auto\bp.CXL

It seems the "ghosts of past blueprints" are causing the crash (in my case), which happen at the end of loading city or a few seconds after city load.

This bp.CXL contains 3 STAGE ONE blueprints that I plopped earlier then deleted. Yet the ghosts remain. So I manually deleted these suspects then launch game. I got my main city back, and playable as usual. So far so good.

The same "bp.cxl" file exists in other checkpoints folders in this city. Somehow (in my case) deleting only the bp ghosts from the bp.cxl autosave version does the job. I purposely leave the other bp.cxl files with bp ghosts in there to see if I could continue to play without issue. If so the real culprit is most likely the autosave.

The bp.cxl file in my 23/11 checkpoint1 contains only the first bp ldnmilleniumwheel which I plopped/deleted many days ago. Prior to 28/11 I haven't experienced any crash on load issue. On 28/11 I tested two user modded BPs, desalination and sydneyoperahouse (karel's). These two BPs were also plopped and deleted then removed from my pak folder, yet their ghosts remain. So this "crash due to BP ghost bug" could be uniquely related to (some?) modded BP's ghosts. However, as I don't build original BPs in my cities I can only guess if the original BP ghosts also cause permanent crashes. In any case, "BP ghost in bp.cxl" is a confirmed bug.

For those who wish to test if this resolves this crash on load issue - I use Notepad++ to open and delete the bp.cxl ghosts from the first <tab> to last </tab>, save, then launch game. Careful so you won't accidentally delete the blueprints you built and want to remain. *See eariler pg3 Focus tech team post in this topic how to unhide Appdata folder if you can't find that folder. Do feedback here if this workaround applies or not in your case. Good luck in saving your cities!

For tech support ref: my system: Dell Prec/Win7/64b/12G/QuadroFX1800.

Meanwhile I feel BPs, as they are, are really not worth the precious game time and trouble they cause. I'm slowly converting all BPs into Landmarks and Leisure buildings to my own specs.

AutoSave corruption -
This method works for cities that have a manual save available ONLY! If you only have autosaves, this will not work.

Delete the autosave folder - C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011\live\offline\solo\solosaveregion*\auto ( * is whatever city number it is)
To identify what city to delete, open the city.cxl file in the solosaveregion* folder and look twords the bottom for this ( <itm key = 'CityName' value = 'YourCityName' /> )
Deleting the auto folder will set your map back to default before the city was built.
Load up the game.
Load up the city, and don't panic when nothing is there....
Go to the save area and load up the latest manual save you have.
PRESTO! you have only lost some of your city, not all of it.
Manual save often (I save on the hour, every hour)

User file corruption -
Move the "Cities XL 2011" ( C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011 ) folder out of place and put it on your desktop.
launch the game
close the game. This will give you a new set of user folders to work with.
Copy the "offline" ( C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2011\live\offline ) folder back into the game directory from your desktop copy, replacing the newly created offline files.
Launch the game and play without trouble. This will refresh your user data without loosing your cities.

*.dll issues -

Update your graphics card drivers
Update your sound Drivers
Do a fresh reinstall of Windows 7, Vista, XP.
Contact customer support.
.dll files are system files and if they are corrupted, they must be repaired. A new driver or operating software update will fix most of these issues.

64 bit system issues -
The game is still just a 32 bit program, and is therefor limited to 2 GB of ram.
Zooming all the way out or all the way in may cause issues.
Taking high quality screenshots of large cities cause issues.
the virtual memory can not handle the load.
It is something that needs to be patched...

system requirements -
If your system doesn't meet specs, it is not a problem of the developer that it is not stable. Update your hardware.

Other solutions -
Reinstall the game
make sure it is under administrator privileges
run in compatibility mode for a lower level operating system.

And wait for the PATCH!

If you have other methods that have worked, feel free to post them here and I will add them. Happy rebuilding!

happybuttercup

Re: Solutions to crash games and getting your city BACK!

Postby happybuttercup » 21 January 2011, 23:20

Excellent! Deleting the auto file worked for me to bring my city back after it would continuously crash on reload. Shame that we have to get into the folders and mess with this. Sometimes I hate this game yet when it is working I give it 5 stars.

SivCorp

Postby SivCorp » 24 January 2011, 00:24

happybuttercup wrote:Excellent! Deleting the auto file worked for me to bring my city back after it would continuously crash on reload. Shame that we have to get into the folders and mess with this. Sometimes I hate this game yet when it is working I give it 5 stars.

Glad you got your city back! Hopefully the developers will figure out this autosave problem and get it fixed with the upcoming patch.

Dwaive

Postby Dwaive » 14 March 2011, 02:34

nothing explained here worked for me :-(( I think i just lost my 1.5million hab city like the three other one before. Getting tired of starting new city hoping that this one won't crash like the other ones. Big waist of time. 10/10 for the game while it works. 0/10 for waisting time again and again

I have Maximus extreme Mb, ATI Radeon HD5870, 8Gb Ram, 2TB Hard drive. I think my specs are more than enough to play. Anyway it was working well before it crashed. If someone has another trick I can try it would be great. Thanks

SivCorp

Postby SivCorp » 14 March 2011, 06:58

Dwaive wrote:nothing explained here worked for me :-(( I think i just lost my 1.5million hab city like the three other one before. Getting tired of starting new city hoping that this one won't crash like the other ones. Big waist of time. 10/10 for the game while it works. 0/10 for waisting time again and again

I have Maximus extreme Mb, ATI Radeon HD5870, 8Gb Ram, 2TB Hard drive. I think my specs are more than enough to play. Anyway it was working well before it crashed. If someone has another trick I can try it would be great. Thanks

Do you have some manual saves made of those cities? I have never had a problem getting a city back with a earlier manual save point.

Any more details you can give on the specifics of the crash, and/or what you where doing in the city when it crashed will help.

GerardoNL

Postby GerardoNL » 17 December 2011, 20:46

SivCorp wrote:I have started this thread to pull all information together for solving city recovery efforts.

Possible crash issues and solutions...
<cut>
If you have other methods that have worked, feel free to post them here and I will add them. Happy rebuilding!

Well, i've got the same issue with my city (CXL2012). Around 1.5 million people living happily and with a bright future in front of them, I could not play the city anymore :evil: I've tried almost everything posted in the opening post, NO RESULTS whatsoever :x Off course, I was pretty pissed at the game since I wanted to play it. I've lost a city before, wouldn't wanne loose another one.

What I did: Copied savefiles and all PATCH files to another PC with CXL2012 installed. After doing all kind of tests and use cases with different save games from different cities, I boiled it down to the "adat.cxl" file (this file is used for all save games as far as I know). This file lives in the solo-folder: C:\Users\[...]\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2012\live\offline\solo

After examining this file I found a strange value:
<tab key='RoadLength'
[...]
<itm key = 'completion' value = '-1.#IND' />
</tab>
I figured that this could simply not be correct, so I changed the '-1.#IND' value to '90' (randomly choosen) Fired the game up once more and TADAA It's ALIVE again :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe a solution for those of you who are also struggling with the "game crash after loading a city" problem :)

bdragon

Postby bdragon » 06 February 2012, 15:50

On my side i did some test...and the only way i manage to get my city back Its thanks of my manual savings...
After a while when i exceed the 1.5 million the save files gets corrupted.

U have no another choice for now to make manual savings from time to time.

mrluke125

Postby mrluke125 » 28 January 2013, 17:12

i downloaded the forest mod with the tree mods but now i cant delete the files even i deleted my citys :oops:

what can i do ?

Return to “Technical Forum”