Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details

Moderator: Focus Team

Vince

Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details

Postby Vince » 15 September 2011, 12:06

Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details!

The release date for Cities XL 2012 approaches and you can now discover more about the different versions of the game. The 2012 update will be released in two forms: the full setgame, and the official expansion for current Cities XL 2011 players.

The full game Cities XL 2012 will offer the entire contents of Cities XL 2011 all the additions found in Cities XL 2012. In total, players will have over 1,000 buildings and 60 different and highly detailed maps for construction that will be included in this new version of the famous PC city-builder on PC. We’re also proud to announce that the game is now open to modding – we’re including powerful modding tools and a special guide to get players started. Cities XL 2012 will be available for 39.99€.

The official Cities XL 2012 expansion will contain more than 280 new buildings, 15 additional cards for construction plus modding access, and requires that Cities XL 2011 be previously installed on the computer. This expansion disk for current players will be officially priced at 14.99€.

snick25
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support
Mid 2011 Awards - Best Technical Support

Re: Cities XL 2012 Reveals Upgrade Details

Postby snick25 » 15 September 2011, 12:25

Well, that sounds pretty good, although I still have some questions.

Does it matter what version of 2011 we have installed on the computer? Do you have to have the disk version, or will the Steam version upgrade as well? I'm assuming it will.

Also, will the 2011 version of the game be erased from our computers? If so, will we be able to reinstall it?

I'm assuming all of our cities will stay where they are, that's good. All in all, I like this news. ;)

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » 15 September 2011, 12:44

i am confused.

Was this the only info or could we read more about it somewhere?
The difference between the 2 games was not much news as we know this already.

So are there a link or something for a specific difference / this is what 2012 will have?
Other wise this was nearly useless.

Oliver

Postby Oliver » 15 September 2011, 13:53

Everything in the post. Again: For CXL 11 owners this isn't an entirely new game. It is an expansion pack. And 14.99€ is a quite fair price to my opinion.
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

diScOpOlis

Postby diScOpOlis » 15 September 2011, 13:53

Well it is good we get some information about this.

I do wonder; it seems like your better off buying the stand-alone CXL2012 as it seems to hold a special guide to modding tools and the expansion doesn't.
Or can we assume it will be included? I'm not so sure because it may be a way to push people for the € 39.99 version.

Also I wonder how we can look at the "powerfull modding tools" as written by Vince. If you say powerfull I hope you also really mean powerfull.
Giving us the opportunity to make objects / buildings / roads / environment / anything from scratch and not limiting us.

That would be great, that would give the fans a chance to make some really nice improvements to CXL2012 and boost the overall fanbase of CXL.

If I would take every word literally that vince wrote I would say that you're best of buying the full version for € 39.99 to have all the modding tools, modding guide(s) and maybe even some additional full-version-only buildings to your disposal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the € 14.99 version will be missing out on certain buildings or something else.
Can you maybe clarify that both version have exactly the same content and possibilities?

280 new buildings for €14.99, how many buildings did CXL2011 exactly have? Expansion + CXL2011= more then 1000 buildings? Or not?
Become part of the best CXL-community website: http://www.xlnation.net

Visit my Youtube Video Channel and learn more about CXL and It's great mods at diScOpOlisCXLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/diScOpOlisCXL?feature=mhee

Rome101

Postby Rome101 » 15 September 2011, 14:06

You could've summed this up in one sentence:
"Players will be able to upgrade from CXL2011 to 2012 for 14.99 and enjoy 280 new buildings and 15 new maps, plus modding tools".
Everything else in here is simply not new. I take this as a hint that says "look guys, you've got some new buildings and maps, and modding tools to make more. other than that, you'll suffer from the same memory leaks and nonfunctional mechanics. Have fun."

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » 15 September 2011, 14:30

Rome101 wrote:You could've summed this up in one sentence:
"Players will be able to upgrade from CXL2011 to 2012 for 14.99 and enjoy 280 new buildings and 15 new maps, plus modding tools".
Everything else in here is simply not new. I take this as a hint that says "look guys, you've got some new buildings and maps, and modding tools to make more. other than that, you'll suffer from the same memory leaks and nonfunctional mechanics. Have fun."

exactly That was just what i thought. There was no new info about this. Focus is really just messing around with the game again, so really we are no further than 2011 with patches and now this expansion pack. I dont think it is any more than an expansion pack.

I would nearly say that this should be free, again unless there is a MAJOR hidden function, "repair" etc of the game that will sweep the other version of the floor. But since we still have no info on the exact content of the 2012, this is nothing more than a fix-up pack. Hopefully the mod tools will finally make the real game engineers out there in the world the game we all wanted from start.

soltan gris

Postby soltan gris » 15 September 2011, 14:58

Hm, I've never heard of a free expansion pack. Next you'll want them to work for you personally, and fulfill all your dreams, for free.

Wake up, people! Have you ever heard of marketing strategy?

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » 15 September 2011, 15:53

well since they want us to pay that much money for what ever little stuff this game brings.

i just thought i could make a "just a crazy wish as they do" with the 3 installment of a game that has only change so little from the original that it all could have been one big patch.

Oliver

Postby Oliver » 15 September 2011, 16:25

It is an EXPANSION pack. You get new content and of course you have to pay for that. 14.99€ seems still quite fair to me for a load of new buildings and maps and the possibility to create those ourself. Especially the new possibilities in matter of modding can finally lead to something like SC4. With a bit of luck CXL has the chance to grow by modders which are providing new, amazing content.

In fact the situation at the moment is remembering to SC4. First came the game which was quite fun, but not amazing. Then the developer released an expansion pack (Rush Hour/Cities XL 2011) and finally opened it for modding. SC4 community is still active and that more than 6 years after release. You can build up amazing stuff with the incredible number of mods available. I hope that the same will happen for CXL, there is a lot of potential in the game. And with Cities XL 2012, I think it can happen.
Best Regards
Oliver - the epic green monsterlike writerperson

Return to “News”