2011 Mod Manager (Plaza XL) || Updated 04-03-2011

Moderator: Focus Team

Rob
End 2010 Award - Best Tool

2011 Mod Manager (Plaza XL) || Updated 04-03-2011

Postby Rob » 08 November 2010, 02:07

ATTENTION :: Cities XL 2011 Modification Manager has been preceded by Plaza XL Community Link. The Manager should only be used for un-patched games of CXL 2011. Otherwise you can download the Plaza XL Localized Version Installer Here, Or alternatively you can download the Unlock modification which comes linked to Plaza XL.

Hey Everyone!

Over the past few weeks I have had extra time away from work which has allowed me to mess around with a few different projects, So I went and grabbed a programming language I liked and got to work on random tools for fun; Including a modification manager for Cities-XL. This project has just left the BETA stage, and I would like to thank 'mr-tom', 'lucky730' and 'Keeda' (Last Minute Helper) for the help in testing the applications functions. My goal with this basic program is to bring automation to the table and simplify the process of installing, uninstalling and organizing alterations, which for some can be a very daunting task. I hope that I have brought something very beneficial to the table for all Cities-XL players. Any questions, comments, suggestions or even harsh criticism will not be ignored. Thank you all whom support this project and its purpose.

The Cities-XL 2011 Modification ‘Manager’ works as an easy to access catalog of Alterations, while bringing peace of mind to the table when dealing with custom content administration. The Manager Allows you to no longer needlessly waste you’re time searching, downloading, and manually installing modifications; Giving you more time to do the important things, like building a prosperous city. With the Manager; Modifications are quickly at your fingertips with a simple one click installation and automatic updating. This application can already provide you with all the information you will need on each publicly released modification. This includes the most current version, the primary author, detailed description and direct links to the official message board, for quick access to the Cities-XL Community.

Requirements

* For those of you altering you’re Mac machines to run CXL, this application WILL support you. Macintosh support is currently compiled into the same executable file, however you will need to contact me as the installer used only supports windows machines ATM. Linux support is possible, although both Mac and/or Linux may be dropped to cut down on memory requirements if I do not receive enough users (I know of 7 so far for MAC)

* NO '.NET'! Thats right, I know it is quite popular, but that doesn't mean there aren't better options. I compiled the application with all needed runtime files already embedded. This means there is NO requirement for the end user to download almost half a gig of .Net files in order to run the application (In other words I didn't use VS). I understand that even stating this was unnecessary, but I hate '.NET' and I figured since it was my post... I could vent just a tad bit.

Features
+ Quickly See Installed & Available Modifications
+ Read Simple / Detailed Descriptions of each Alteration
+ Easy Single Click Installation and De-Installation of Modifications
+ Jump to the Official Message Board Thread or Community Page in default browser
+ Stay Up To Date with News & Information about custom content on CXL directly in the program! Image
+ Easily Browse Alterations in a dedicated Browser
+ Feel Safe with the new built-in Compatibility Scanner (In Testing)Image

Version 1.4 Dark

ImageImage

Version 1.1-1.3 | Showing How Far We Have Come!
ImageImageImage

Mediafire Download Server 1 || Version 1.41 (1.4b)

Updates
Version 1.1 - Version 1.2 || MediaFire
Version 1.2 - Version 1.3 || MediaFire
Version 1.3 - Version 1.4 || MediaFire
Version 1.4 - Version 1.41 || MediaFire

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Release Version 1.41 { 01/01/2011 @ 23:20 Hours Mountain Standard Time }
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Introduced New Navigation Menu
- Fixed bug With Compatibility Scanner causing false positive
- Updated Compatibility Definitions
- Appended Modification | Unlock Mod V4.00
        |- Including A Control Panel for Customizing the Installation! ****
- Fixed Bug Causing Alteration Browser to Freeze
- Fixed Admin Issues for computers using Windows Firewall / UAC

Release Version 1.40 { 01/01/2011 @ 19:40 Hours Mountain Standard Time }
- With a New Year comes a New Look named "Dark Edition"
- Introduced Compatibility Scanner (Has Most basic of Functions and is still in testing phase)
        |- This will run every time you start the application
- Introduced News & Information Panel
        |- Users can now stay connected much easier with the custom content news directly within the program
- Modified Action Log for easier confirmation of commands
- Appended New Modification ‘Leisure to Retail Conversion'
- Appended New Modification 'Conifers Mod'

Release Version 1.30 { 11/21/2010 @ 2:25 Hours Mountain Standard Time }
- Changed Alteration Browser Layout
- Introduced automatic sorting by name in Alteration Browser
- Introduced Action Log for easy confirmation of commands
- Appended New Modification ‘Super Silo + Fertilizer’
- Appended New Modification ‘Dutch Police Vehicles’
- Appended New Modification ‘Ploppable Sandbox’
- Appended New Modification ‘Utopian Environment Agency’
- Appended New Modification ‘Environmental Agency’
- Appended New Modification ‘Goldivas Densely Treed Plaza’
- Appended New Modification ‘Goldivas Tree Plaza’

Release Version 1.20 { 11/13/2010 @ 20:08 Hours Mountain Standard Time }
- Changed Application Icon
- Added Title Image to Main Screen
- Fixed Bug Causing Installed List not to Refresh after install
- Added 'Texture' Division Option in Alteration Browser
- Appended New Modification ''Ploppable Trees and Areas"
        |- V1.01 / Author: Malaya / ID: 81584736
- Appended New Modification ''New York MTA Bus Texture"
        |- V1.00 / Author: Sniper296 / ID: 85580220
- Appended New Modification ''Los Angeles Metro Rapid Bus Texture"
        |- V1.01 / Author: Sniper296 / ID: 85580221
- Appended New Modification ''PostAuto Bus Texture"
        |- V1.00 / Author: Alex24 / ID: 85580222
- Appended New Modification ''Polnischer Bus Texture"
        |- V1.00 / Author: Alex24 / ID: 85580223
 - Appended New Modification ''Ö-Postbus Bus Texture"
        |- V1.00 / Author: Alex24 / ID: 85580224
 - Appended New Modification ''Cologne KVB Bus Texture"
        |- V1.00 / Author: Phillip96 / ID: 85580225
- Appended New Modification ''No Avenue Palm Trees"
        |- V1.00 / Author: Haltendehand / ID: 81506779
- Appended New Modification "In-Game Snapping Decreaser"
        |- V1.00 / Author: Nashville Nelson / ID: 82270463

Release Version 1.10 { 11/10/2010 @ 23:18 Hours Mountain Standard Time }
- Overhauled Graphical Interface
- Removed Contextual Menu 'View Details Option'
- Streamlined Contextual Menu Installation Function Calls
- Introduced New Modification Browser Window
- Introduced Modification 'Type' (For Help In Division)
- Introduced Ability to search via ModID in Browser
- Appended New Modification 'Planet Offer Christmas Roads'
        |- V1.00 / Author: Kiwispanker / ID: 81532164
- Appended New Modification 'Bulldozer Alteration'
        |- V1.01 / Author: Itsthemuffinman / ID: 81425634
- Appended New Modification 'Harbor Anywhere'
        |- V1.00 / Author: Jeremy12 / ID: 81435264
- Appended New Modification 'New Traffic Map'
        |- V3.50 / Author: Provis123 / ID: 81462385
- Appended New Modification 'Brick City Hall'
        |- V1.00 / Author: Alex24 / ID: 81100564

How Fast Will New Modifications Populate?
Obviously some time delay WILL occur with modifications being released and or updated. This is because of the manager being nothing more than a middle-man with a few bonus features. The goal, (after all current modifications have been appended) is to have no more than a 24Hour time delay for any update or new modification release. Since most users usually skip days at a time before checking the modification boards or are unaware of the websites around the world hosting custom content… this should be no problem, and might even bring to light modifications you are unaware of.

How do I check for updates?
The application will automatically check when it first starts up, if an update is available the application will notify you, otherwise you will not be bothered.

How do developers submit work?
At the present time I have not set any formal layout for direct communication with any of the developers. I do feel that some sort of communication would be helpful to ensure that the application is updated quickly, and that the users are satisfied...However, I feel that any communication would be the developers decision, and whether or not they even support this project or the users whom chose a 'simple path' would have to be decided. In any case, the future plans are to have a submitting tool within the manager itself, so any developers can just log into the manager and submit a modification...More information on this subject will come out over the next few weeks, for the current time we will continue to rove the websites and message-boards doing all the hard work.
Last edited by Rob on 24 April 2011, 18:16, edited 58 times in total.
I Support The Cannabis Act of 2012 - Legalize, Because It Makes Sense...
I am a Software Developer & Conservative Republican & I Am Voting Yes.

keeda

Re: 2011 Modification Manager

Postby keeda » 08 November 2010, 02:29

Couple of questions...
Should I remove all present mods before installing the application?
Upon installation, will the app automatically install the mods or will I be given the choice?
For any mods I have installed that are not presently in this manager app, will I be able to keep them within the folder structure of CitiesXL and not worry about them being affected?

just wanted to make sure before I go ahead... thanks.

Rob

Postby Rob » 08 November 2010, 02:33

Should I remove all present mods before installing the application?
Upon installation, will the app automatically install the mods or will I be given the choice?

Installation alone will not harm already installed modifications. once you enter the manager you have the choice of installing the modifications, if you already have a version of the modification installed that is in the list, then it would be smart to remove it before installation. Otherwise, your good to go!

For any mods I have installed that are not presently in this manager app, will I be able to keep them within the folder structure of CitiesXL and not worry about them being affected?

Yup!

keeda

Postby keeda » 08 November 2010, 02:50

cool. thanks.

keeda

Postby keeda » 08 November 2010, 03:09

Another...

I see you must right click on a particular mod to get the options for installation, view details and web... will there be a check box in the future for installation selection?
When I clicked install I don't know if anything happened. I checked the currents but nothing is listed. are the mods installed in the Paks folder?

Also when selecting a particular mod the details should automatically appear... this makes the process more efficient for the user.

Nice app btw... I had been managing everything in my downloads folder. its getting kinda messy.

Rob

Postby Rob » 08 November 2010, 03:32

Thanks for the comments.

I see you must right click on a particular mod to get the options for installation, view details and web... will there be a check box in the future for installation selection?

Yes, in fact i started working on this already for the next update. unsure of release time frame.

As for install it should just remove itself from the available list and add itself to the installed list. i know that there isn't enough confirmation dialogs and that will also be added soon.

It is managed inside the paks folder under folder MOD

keeda

Postby keeda » 08 November 2010, 03:53

inside my MOD file is a dll (iod.dll). This file is 0kb. When I try to install a mod, nothing happens. Not sure what is going wrong. Should I uninstall/re-install or is there something I could tell you which could point you in the correct direction. I am running Win 7 (64-bit) via Bootcamp (Mac person here)...

Rob

Postby Rob » 08 November 2010, 03:59

Hmm. It passed testing lol... I would first try uninstalling then installing again. Though what doesn't make sense is that if iod.dll is in the directory then the installation should have gone perfectly fine. The file should simply appear.

In the manager does the mod you selected to install go to the installed list? and what happens when you try to uninstall the mod? you should get an error 101 or 301 if the file is not in the MOD folder during uninstall.

keeda

Postby keeda » 08 November 2010, 04:10

when in the manager, the selected mod does not go to the installed list. There is no error given as well. I do not get the option to uninstall as nothing gets installed. I will try and reinstall in a few mins...

Rob

Postby Rob » 08 November 2010, 04:21

Very Awkward. I went ahead and rechecked the code associated with install and uninstall, including the script I used to create the actual installer. All in all everything is fine, my worry is now with boot-camp, I will continue looking into this unless I received reports that suggest otherwise and or you report back after the installation.

Return to “Custom Content Forum”